Chapala.com Webboard

Flying Volaris

crynoutloud

No, just the usual packed cabins and everything extra.  Normal flying these days.  They run great specials.  I bought my brother a RT ticket from Phoenix to GDL for $213 flying in January.  We use Volaris a lot because they go where we want to go and they do it for less if you shop carefully.  I have our usual destination on airfare alert so I know when the deals show up.

You get the same crappy comfort and service for a lot more from the U.S. airlines. :)

We fly Volaris only because they have direct routes to where you want to go.  the seats are very cramped, they give you nothing, you have to buy sodas or snacks with a credit card.  We much more prefer Aero Mexico.  They are friendly and give you spirits, sodas, and food.

50 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

No, just the usual packed cabins and everything extra.  Normal flying these days.  They run great specials.  I bought my brother a RT ticket from Phoenix to GDL for $213 flying in January.  We use Volaris a lot because they go where we want to go and they do it for less if you shop carefully.  I have our usual destination on airfare alert so I know when the deals show up.

You get the same crappy comfort and service for a lot more from the U.S. airlines. :)

+1    I fly them because they are the only non-stop from Denver to Guadalajara. They do come up with good specials like the $118 one-way available now (up in January) on that route. Otherwise, it's $325 and 1-stop for me. So I too can buy a lot of cookies for the difference!

I do not know about the routes you fly but Aeromexico can be 3 times as expensive so I can buy a few cookies and save the money.

I also do not find the seats more cramped than companies like air france. Yes Aeromexico is more comfortable but for short flights it is not worth it for me..it is all a questions of choice. There are no frill airlines just like vivaaerobus and you pay for every single little extra.. , at least you have a choice.

I can fly to Chiapas for les than the bus and it takes 2hours versus 20 hours so for me it is a no brainer.

Southwest flying into Mexico City was $329 Roundtrip out of Baltimore.  MEX to GDL runs about $75 RT on the many specials the small Mexican airlines run all year long.  Added about 4 hours to the flight day, but lots less than the $800 RT to GDL stopping in Houston.

4 hours ago, sm1mex said:

We fly Volaris only because they have direct routes to where you want to go.  the seats are very cramped, they give you nothing, you have to buy sodas or snacks with a credit card.  We much more prefer Aero Mexico.  They are friendly and give you spirits, sodas, and food.

With the price difference I can buy a lot of soda and food. I had too much bad experiences with Aeroméxico so I prefer volaris over them. Looking on seatguru most planes of Aeroméxico have the same space as volaris, only the long haul planes have more space. The only airline I don't feel cramped is interjet.

We flew to Merida and back recently with Volaris.  It was a our first flight with them and had some concerns due to mixed reviews.

They are a BUDGET airline so you get what you pay for.  Don't expect full service from a budget carrier. However, in Volaris's case, I think they rate highly as a budget airline.  

They were extremely efficient in checking in and boarding.  We'd paid a little extra for front row seats so had no problems with leg room (we are both tall).  We purchased some food & drinks which were both acceptable price and quality for airline food.   The aircraft was newish and very clean. Cabin crew were friendly but professional  We had a comfortable flight and got there on time.  What more can you ask for the price you paid? 

I'm an extremely frequent flyer and hold the highest status in the One World Alliance (Emerald) / Executive Platinum with AA.   I've flown many, many of the world's airlines both full service and budget. I'd rate them much higher than most USA based carriers, including the non budget airlines!  To me,  Volaris score more highly than Jetstar which is Qantas's highly rated and awarded budget airline, often named best budget airline in the world.

Of course, this is based on a single experience but doing our next trip with them to Costa Rica in January.  The price was ridiculously low.   After our last experience, we have no qualms at all.

9 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Last time we flew Volaris I noticed among the taxes and fees was a 70 DOLLAR on line registration fee. Kind of kicks that low fare up a bit!

You took the option to join V Club.  No need to do this. In fact, I take none of their offered bundles.  Click past this and choose the luggage and seat options you want. 

I know its a budget airlines but read all the small print regarding luggage.  They only allow free half sized bag on the plane.  Its a little small.  I much prefer Interjet personally. Every time I flew Volaris they had something changed and it cost me money.  I avoid them if possible. 

5 minutes ago, lcscats said:

I know its a budget airlines but read all the small print regarding luggage.  They only allow free half sized bag on the plane.  Its a little small.  I much prefer Interjet personally. Every time I flew Volaris they had something changed and it cost me money.  I avoid them if possible. 

I'm aware of that.  You get a check in bag so I just pack accordingly...Easy..   Their booking and then the boarding pass clearly states what you are entitled to..

Just now, SmartTraveller said:

I'm aware of that.  You get a check in back so I just pack accordingly...Easy..

Not if you are carrying something fragile like electronics.  In last few years we have had many different airlines destroy our checked in luggage and I mean destroyed.  Ever watch them load or unload the plane??  I use to think like you but don't after the third destroyed bag.  The baggage handlers are rather brutal these days.  

2 minutes ago, lcscats said:

Not if you are carrying something fragile like electronics.  In last few years we have had many different airlines destroy our checked in luggage and I mean destroyed.  Ever watch them load or unload the plane??  I use to think like you but don't after the third destroyed bag.  The baggage handlers are rather brutal these days.  

I carry my very expensive laptop ( I work online), tablet and expensive Canon camera in a small bag which is perfectly acceptable to Volaris..  As I said, I am a VERY frequent flyer so am well aware what baggage handlers can do and I NEVER pack electronics, jewellry, medications or important documents in checked luggage. If you need a larger check in bag, with Volaris you can pay for it...and its not a lot of $$s.

38 minutes ago, SmartTraveller said:

I carry my very expensive laptop ( I work online), tablet and expensive Canon camera in a small bag which is perfectly acceptable to Volaris..  As I said, I am a VERY frequent flyer so am well aware what baggage handlers can do and I NEVER pack electronics, jewellry, medications or important documents in checked luggage. If you need a larger check in bag, with Volaris you can pay for it...and its not a lot of $$s.

Volaris allows 2 carry-ons per passenger for free. Although they have to be sub-standard in size. They also count a women´s purse as 1 carry-on. I  was checking in with a box with a surround sound system the exact size they accept [about 15" X 12" x 10"] recently but one employee said to the clerk at the check-in counter helping me they do not allow speakers as carry-on. The clerk quoted me $1000.00 pesos to check it in as a second bag. I told her if security won´t let me take it through I will be back. Security said nothing. I also had 2 tablets, a blueray player and some electronic accesories new in their boxes in my suitcase I checked in.

We fly both Volaris and AA to Phoenix a few times each year.  During summer holidays the AA fares skyrocket but Volaris is reasonable, then right after Labor Day they reverse and AA is cheaper, so we end up going for $219-249 on all our trips.  It pays to check regularly.  Volaris allows you to bring down 55# in one large checked bag which is way more than AA, so those are the trips we bring larger/heavier purchases back with us.  You can avoid the AA first bag checked fee by going directly to the gate with your 18-21" rollaboard which likely won't fit in the miniscule compartments on the CanadaAir plane anyway and they'll valet check it for no charge.  Only squishable duffel bags fit in those compartments.

We've flown them several times: to Las Vegas for business and to Fort Lauderdale last February for vacation. We've been satisfied with the service.

The not-so-good Volaris experience:  Earlier this year we booked flights to and from Fort Lauderdale for this next March. It was a direct flight there and connecting through DF on the way home. A while back we received an email that the itinerary changed. And it was significantly. The return date was one day later and the airport to which we would be flying to and leaving from was now Miami and not FLL, as they are ending their agreement with FLL. So much for booking with Volaris to save $$, as we've now added a hotel night in Miami at the end of our cruise and our hotel on the front end was in Fort Lauderdale and had a free airport (FLL) shuttle, but now we'll be arriving at MIA and will need to pay for the transfer. And all we received for the trouble and additional cost was a USD$50 voucher to use on a future Volaris flight (valid only for six months). When I asked about getting a full refund if we cancelled, they tried to tell me that wouldn't be possible....... I told the girl, "I don't think so...."

Granted, I did have a very courteous CS rep with whom I spent an hour on the phone each of two different evenings. I speak Spanish, so I don't know if I would have been as lucky with an English speaking rep. She was kind enough to give me her name and the directive that, when I called back the second evening after checking with my traveling companions on how they wanted to proceed, I should request to speak directly to her. That was good, as I didn't have to go through the whole story again.

We would have just cancelled the whole booking and started over with another airline, but we are a group of five traveling out of GDL.

Archived