Chapala.com Webboard

Poutine Place, San Antonio

Lexy

Has anyone tried Poutine Place, directly across the road from Super Lake? It's sign says it has poutine --which I've never had--and tacos, beer, wine. Looks like a take-out place. It's alongside Tabarka's little taco place.

Lexy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious, too, but because it is up on the lateral, I keep driving by it. Poutine has been tried here by a couple of places, one being Just Chillin', but... apart from perfect fries, the brown gravy has to be just right, and as anyone who makes gravy knows, that's a real skill. But more importantly, the cheese used is curds, as in the nursery rhyme. Curd is what forms when milk sours, and is the starter for making cheese. It has a nifty, squeaky feel when eating, and is yuimmy. The cheeses used here are not close, but a couple will suffice. THEN the secret is the construction of the poutine: The cheese goes on top of the hot fries, and the hot, hot gravy is poured on top of the cheese, which makes it all into a gooey mess, which some people will kill for. My home town now even has specialty poutine places... that's how popular it has become. Fights break out over it.

It is very French Canadian, and must not be confused with putin.The fact that there is a poutine place here in the middle of Mexico is pretty amazing.

Mexican version of fast food. Slice a bolillo in half the long way. Top with refried beans and your choice of shredded cheese. Pop in the toaster oven. Add sliced jalapeños and eat on your way to class.

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Ha ha CG - even Burger King in Vancouver has had poutine on the menu for many years.

Yep, they are just that popular. It must have started in my high school cafeteria in Ottawa: you had to put the gravy on the chips to kill the taste of the chips, then you had to get a Mae West or a PuffBar to kill the taste of the gravy...

26 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Yep, they are just that popular. It must have started in my high school cafeteria in Ottawa: you had to put the gravy on the chips to kill the taste of the chips, then you had to get a Mae West or a PuffBar to kill the taste of the gravy...

In all these years on planet Earth, I've never tried poutine.  The description is enough to trigger a gag reflex.  However, my curiousity is overcoming all caution, so now I'll have to try that Canadian delicacy at least once.  But first, I want some other brave soul to do so and report on the quality of the local offering.  C'mon, Canadians, let's hear from you!

Poutine is such a very French-Canadian dish, that you may start a civil war among your Canadian friends by the very mention of it.  It is best discussed with a Canadian friend who has a bit of a French accent and is from Ottawa or eastward through Quebec and New Brunswick.  The “other Canadians“, mostly the descendants of US Loyalists and/or later British immigrants, may not be willing to say anything nice about poutine.  So, be brave & try it. It can be very good.

Ha !   Just as predicted.  Admitidly, I have heart disease and a long list of other ailments, some just as fatal as having lived to my present age.  Oh well; pass the poutine.  There comes a time when there is no value in worrying, nor does it make any difference any more.  SPAM and eggs with grits and butter, anyone?

22 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Ha !   Just as predicted.  Admitidly, I have heart disease and a long list of other ailments, some just as fatal as having lived to my present age.  Oh well; pass the poutine.  There comes a time when there is no value in worrying, nor does it make any difference any more.  SPAM and eggs with grits and butter, anyone?

I agree, RV. We are too old to die young. 

5 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Mexican version of fast food. Slice a bolillo in half the long way. Top with refried beans and your choice of shredded cheese. Pop in the toaster oven. Add sliced jalapeños and eat on your way to class.

I love molletes for breakfast.  As pappy said, slice a bollilo in half the long way.  I grill mine in a skillet with some melted butter, so no need for a toaster oven.  Then refried beans smeared on thick and a fried egg on each half.  I prefer mine topped with freshly made salsa cruda.

Huevos Estrellados en Molletes.jpg

I finally got there today, after giving it a couple of weeks to settle in.

I have to say, it was way better than I was expecting, and I will return. Here's the skinny: the gravy is deelishus. Seriously. And they use a brand of mozzerella that is far tastier than what I can normally find. Their chips are handcut and rough and you get a LOT. for 50p, oh yeah! The meal even started with nacho chips and two salsas, both tasty and not too spicy.

I ordered a side-salad, large, for 45p, which was a lovely mixture of lettuce, carrot, berries and so on, with a yummy red berry dressing. Fresh and crisp. Pop is 15p, which is good for any restaurant, and you can order beer, too.

Now the details. They do put the gravy on after the cheese, which is all important for helping the melt. They could chop up the cheese a little differently, rather than cubes, to allow for a better melt, but that's quibbling. My one hesitation from giving it a 10 is that the fries are far too large. So they take longer to cook, aren't as well-cooked inside as they could be, and lose their crispness rather quickly.

But the flavour can compare probably with a Canadian version, because of that gravy. I want her recipe. (I think these people are the same that opened a shrimp taco stand there last year, which didn't last.) You can also order toppings for another 25 or 30p, like beef, pork, and chicken, and they do sell molletes and tacos. But there was enough in the poutine that I had to take half of it home. And I ain't no tiny guy.

There two sides to the menu. I noticed chilaquilas, my favourite. I had roja and they were perfect - not to wet, not too dry, spiced just right. What I noticed about the place is that they take great care with all the little details, which are so important. For example, we had coffee - they came with a thin slice of lemon cake, completely unexpected. Nice people too - but there is an awful lot of that sort around these parts.

Poutine is definitely a French Canadian (Quebecois) dish, but not limited to the Province of Quebec and east.

Here is a web page of a chain of restaurants that are spread across Canada and with locations and head office in the U.S.A.

Smokes Poutinerie

Have a look at their "Menu".

Bon Appétit....

I dropped by to try a few things for take-out for two of us.

While I waited for my order I was given a bowl of chips and tastings of several salsa. That's a nice plus and it doesn't happen often.

I ordered burritos with cheese and pork filling. Nice white cheese melted with the pork was good. I selected tapas with beef and what a great sauce. A small green salad was included with the dressing separate in a little container. The take-out package also had two plastic forks (next time I'll tell them I don't need them), napkins and, again, the little containers of salsas.

The restaurant itself is small, but roomy, very clean and bright, pleasantly decorated. The open kitchen at the far end has the mushroom, beef, pork and chicken fillings in covered pots that you can take a look at before deciding what you want. There's beer and, I think, wine. The young couple who run the place are very nice and, as others have mentioned, there's so much attention to the details.

I'm going back to try the other things to bring home.

Lexy

Mmmm - I remember the soggy "chips" in the U.K., real potatoes, fried in rendered beef tallow, and then a big soaking dollop of curry sauce. The "chippies"  usually bought Cross and Blackwell, from a can, thrown into the crockpot with chicken pieces until reduced to mush.

Archived