Chapala.com Webboard

Amazon.com.mx

Arjay

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

What the actual law is is, you can't discuss the use of using debit cards online, online.

After pondering this a bit, two wrongs don't make a right but 3 lefts do.

This has been a really useful thread for old fashioned me. I really want to do some of these things, but fear complications. SolAjijic- thanks for the suggestion of usiong more than one account. I have mine in the states, but could start one here now that I have a job. Shouldn't have all eggs in one basket.

Yes, debit cards have less protection than CC, so it's more liquid.

Dicho- your explanation of how to shop online with the cash option interested me very much. Is this just for Amazon? Exactly what do you say at the OXXO. Do you get a code number to give them?

The thread has been educational. I sometimes hide from asking questions about things like this due to be identified as pretty lame. hahahaha

Virgogirl, to shop at Amazon as far as I know you need to use a credit or debit card.  With mercadolibre which you will probably be able to find much of the same stuff (the selection might be less) you can pay with a card or choose to pay with cash or en efectivo in spanish.  When you click on the comprar or buy button to purchase an item that caught your eye, it will ask you how do you want to pay and you can pay in cash if you want at either oxxo, seven eleven, banamex, or bancomer.  They will send you a page to print out, it usually just has two codes and the amount, instead of turning on the printer I usually just write the two simple codes or numbers on a sheet paper with the amount and walk across to seven eleven to pay.  They have a system as does Oxxo where you can deposit money into mercadolibre.  It is pretty simple and after that wait for the email from mercadolibre, it will say your next step is to just sit back and wait for your order to arrive.  Mercado Libre has gotten a lot more user friendly lately, it used to be bitch to use having to communicate through emails with the seller in order to purchase a simple item and determining the shipping cost, now it is all done with the click of the mouse, and the shipping is now automatically added to the price when you click on buy.  If you can read basic spanish or use google translate you shouldn´t have any problems using it.

16 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Nothing personal to Curmudgeon but a perfect example of why you can't trust things you read online, especially if it's something claiming to be either legal or illegal.

Has anyone used a Mexican debit card to purchase anything online in Mexico?

5 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Has anyone used a Mexican debit card to purchase anything online in Mexico?

Still waiting for you to cite the law you referred to.

22 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

It's illegal to use a debit card to buy online

Sometimes clerks don't really know and they just repeat what someone else has said.  Here's a perfect example of that.  I went to the police department in Texas to ask for a police report of a lost item.  I was told by a police officer it was illegal to make a copy of a passport!  How ridiculous is that????  Of course, it's perfectly legal.  A fake passport is illegal, not a paper copy.

What happens is, because of these people's jobs and positions, we assume they know and give correct information, even though they are totally wrong.

Perhaps this is a Multiva debit card limitation.  We have an account there, so it would be good to know about this as well.  I actually did try to use the card on line for airline reservations and I was unable to do so.

Archived