Chapala.com Webboard

Amazon.com.mx

Arjay

On a friend's recommendation of purchasing from Amazon.com.mx, I went into the website and found something I’m interested in buying which lists at $730.62 plus $97.00 shipping.

I’m nervous because it doesn’t say pesos or MX next to the dollar sign and I’d have a heart attack if it was $730 USD instead of $730 pesos.  I know it should be obvious but I don't want to take anything for granted.

When I went to register, it said I didn't need to because I have an Amazon.com account.  Can anyone shed light on this with assurances, please?  Thanks.

I've never ordered from Amazon Mx ,and perhaps someone on the forum can be of more help, however, what I would do is contact customer service and ask all my questions.  You should be able to do this on line without picking up the phone.  This is what I have done with Amazon in the USA and the communication is in real time and was quite helpful.

The price is in pesos and that price for shipping is very expensive.

If it were me ordering, ( and I admit it's not so the advice that follows may be totally unwanted and unwarranted), I would order it through Amazon.com US and have Hugh Roberts bring it down. It will be SOOOOO much cheaper and your item will be here before Christmas. 

I have ordered from both, and found that both Amazon MX and US are reliable. My MX items were delivered quickly and they used the same CC that is on file with my IUS Amazon account. My items were not imported so the shipping was minimal.

It may sound lame and old-fashioned but I never shop online because I have only 1 debit card and if it were compromised, I'd be up the creek with no paddle for awhile. It's a little off subject, but if anyone has advice and assurances, I'd be glad to hear them.

When it comes to things like cell phones I'm a bit of a Luddite but I love on line shopping.  There's just a lot of stuff you either can't get here or the price is 30-50 percent higher or more.  There's still a basic lack of competition here and combined with the protectionism that manifests itself with your stuff "disappearing" at the border or being held up and having fat taxes piled on that makes shopping trips north still worth while.

You will notice that most companies will readily ship to Canada from the U.S. but will not ship to Mexico.  That should tell you something.

I've had good results with Amazon U.S. sending stuff here.  It costs more but thus far the stuff has shown up as advertised.

I have purchased items from both Amazon U.S. and M.X.

I have found that some items from the M.X. site are more expensive due to the item has some import fees on it.

I shop around in the M.X. site and sometimes I find a similar item at a larger discount.  Good service and prompt delivery.

Have to love Amazon.  

I'm just always worried about a debit card compromise. Like someone is phishing, and suddenly I have no money in the bank. All from trusting the idea of shopping online. I am sure that many people shop online frequently, no problems. My dtr in law in the states knows the FEdEx and UPS drivers like family. She shops online weekly. Are the secure sights really secure. I've used my debit at WaMart when I first arived because I bought alot of shelving and house supplies. Even that made me nervous. I only like to use card at ATMs. And deal in cash. But I could save alot on the vitamins/supplementals/ herbals I take if I had the courage to shop online.

The secure sites truly are secure. No one sees your credit card information, because the systems used for credit cards encrypts all the pertinent information, and it is only decoded at the far end. That's not to say it never happens, but we rarely hear stories of card fraud from online shopping. Even the huge data breaches at Target and Home Depot resulted in very little theft. (It is true that you risk far more by giving your CC to a waiter who takes it to the back.) Rest easy when it comes to online purchases.

Oh, and the shipping price of 97p posted by the OP is really nothing, keeping in mind that it is in pesos.

1 hour ago, cstone said:

If it were me ordering, ( and I admit it's not so the advice that follows may be totally unwanted and unwarranted), I would order it through Amazon.com US and have Hugh Roberts bring it down. It will be SOOOOO much cheaper and your item will be here before Christmas. 

I have ordered from both, and found that both Amazon MX and US are reliable. My MX items were delivered quickly and they used the same CC that is on file with my IUS Amazon account. My items were not imported so the shipping was minimal.

Really, 97 pesos is the equivalent of about $5 US for shipping. I wouldn't consider that expensive. I use Hugh's service regularly and it would be much more expensive than 97 pesos.

Yes, Hugh's basic rate is $250p per item, plus 16% of the item cost to cover duties at the border. A damn good deal for most things when they are unavailable here. I've had him bring in a BBQ, a very powerful toaster oven, and a variety of items.

To the person using a single debit card ---- geez, open a savings account attached to your regular account and get a debit card for that savings account.  Easy peasy solution and now you will have 2 cards and can order from the savings account card and limit the amount in that account to what you transfer in.   You could even open 2 savings accounts.

1 hour ago, cstone said:

I don't understand why you think $79 pesos is expensive for shipping - sounds like a bargain to me.  Thank you everyone for your advice.  I wanted the assurance that it was in pesos because the price seemed reasonable and the shipping very cheap.

Also, depending on what you're buying, I've found that buying from Amazon.com is reasonable but sometimes the shipping costs are exorbitant - almost as much as the item, which makes it a deal breaker.

My spouse and I have never considered taking a shopping trip north in over a dozen years.  That's an expensive, tiring way to acquire goods.  If you're going there for a visit anyway, that's another matter.  We've shopped heavily online, and had only two bad experiences: one where our credit card was used to buy 400 pairs of Alligator shoes at a brick and mortar store and another at Fry's electronics, for over a thousand U.S. dollars.  We stopped using that go-between shipper.  We did get our credit card charges reversed.  I'm still wondering about those Alligators.

Amazon is our favorite vendor; always reliable, and the goods arrive more quickly than anticipated.  I recommend being brave and doing online shopping.  I also recommend DHL.  Very reliable delivery and you know when to stay home and wait since you can track your packages online.

Just throwing in my two cents.  I have been advised by several people and even my bank that you should NEVER use a debit card for online purchases, for more reasons than I could enumerate here.  If you don't have or are unable to obtain a credit card, your safest bet is PayPal.

6 hours ago, virgogirl said:

It may sound lame and old-fashioned but I never shop online because I have only 1 debit card and if it were compromised, I'd be up the creek with no paddle for awhile. It's a little off subject, but if anyone has advice and assurances, I'd be glad to hear them.

Virgogirl, we buy a lot of stuff online, we are raising two kids here, and when looking for quality stuff, it is sometimes hard to come by here in Chapala without having to run all over Guadalajara looking for it.  So we order a lot of stuff online that we can´t find in Chapala.  I always recommend people to check and compare prices from Amazon Mex and Mercadolibre.  We generally order a lot from Mercadolibre, I like the fact that I can order anything I want and pay in cash.  When you hit comprar or buy, you have the option of using a credit card or to pay en efectivo or cash.  I just click on the option of paying for it at 7Eleven which is close to my house or Oxxo.  The process is easy and painless and so far I haven´t been burnt yet except only once during the years, when we ordered something out of stock and they weren´t going to get anymore in, after sometime we finally got our money back.  All other purchases we´ve made have been successful and quick.

Nothing personal to Curmudgeon but a perfect example of why you can't trust things you read online, especially if it's something claiming to be either legal or illegal.

Archived