Hi folks,

sorry to barge in like this

what is it with all the cohetes during the night

did someone got their foot stock on the cohetes switch

for a moment I thought The policia were after the cartels

are we celebrating a saint that I did no know about

Would someone please explain 

thank you

This year has been relatively tame. Used to be cohetes from 5am and throughout the day so you couldn't even take a siesta. And much louder, with earplugs and windows closed they would still be heard. Think they've gone from M200's to M80's. And deafening music until 4am. My Mexican friends say that there are fewer people this year and speculate that Mexican relatives who usually come down to their hometown for the festivities are staying put because they worry about re-entry to the USA. We'll all be glad when it's over...

In case you really don't know, this fiesta is the eleven day AJIJIC patron saint fiesta de San Andres (Andrew) and we have three more days to endure...enjoy. Every town has a patron saint but This area really loves to celebrate with cohetes and castillos, loud music and carnival rides. Other towns do it differently but all celebrate.

58 minutes ago, barrbower said:

In case you really don't know, this fiesta is the eleven day AJIJIC patron saint fiesta de San Andres (Andrew) and we have three more days to endure...enjoy. Every town has a patron saint but This area really loves to celebrate with cohetes and castillos, loud music and carnival rides. Other towns do it differently but all celebrate.

The Ajijic fiestas patronales are really only 9 days--it's the novena (nine days) leading up to the actual feast day of San Andrés.  Starts on the 22nd and ends on the 30th, his feast. If you haven't gone to the Ajijic plaza for an evening of celebration, it's absolutely the best thing all year.  Don't miss it--go around 9PM, have a bowl of pozole or some tacos, and stay for the castillo sometime between 10 and 11PM.   There's a castillo every night!

Next is the novena for Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe, which starts on Dec. 3 and ends on her feast day, Dec. 12.  You'll experience cohetes and music in the streets in the before-dawn hours and at different times throughout the day and evening, but nothing like what is going on now during the fiestas patronales.

Following that is the novena before Christmas, celebrated in Mexico as Las Posadas.  That novena starts on Dec. 16 and ends on the night of Dec. 24. There will be more parties in homes and restaurants, lots of piñatas, and religious celebration with pilgrimages.  

Then, of course, comes New Year's Eve.  In Ajijic, it's traditionally celebrated with late-night Mass, followed by all-night parties in the streets, including bonfires, carne asada parties, lots of eating and drinking, and general revelry until dawn.

After New Year's Eve, you can get some sleep.

Cohetes.jpg

Pozole at the Fiestas.jpg

Castillo.jpg

Guest bennie2

its 2 months of explosions all night untill 2nd week jan. i get them all day long its a sport. again in feb. for a week, again for easter maybe 8 days. this is what they do for recreation. btw, the border is wide open as the US is under the same administration. sob story rumors unnecessary. anyone can comedown for the explosion party & go home. 

Yes, my friend just told me that today is contractor's day and that's why there is more noise. They work hard to impress. She said that they have the best music and best castillo and people from all up and down the lake come on contractor's day.

In for a fun night!

Besides all of this things. In this Beautiful Country, if you are celebrating a private party like a wedding or a birthday, and have the money to buy cohetes, you are free to burn cohetes....enjoy!

Friends of mine who moved to Ajijic shortly before the fiestas patronales about 20 years ago, had no idea that the fiestas even existed.  Their first night in their new home in the village, they were awakened around midnight by a barrage of cohetes.  One of them sat bolt upright in bed and cried out in fear, "This isn't Mexico!  This is (expletive deleted) BEIRUT!"

We still laugh about it!

Archived