Chapala.com Webboard

Thinking of moving back to Mexico

Narda

We lived in San Miguel de Allende in 2003 to 2005 and loved it, but think the altitude could be a problem now.  Wondering 

If Americans are still welcome in Mexico with Trump as our President?  Also wondering about crime in Chapala?   We never had any problems when we lived in Mexico before.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

If you sincerely want opinions on crime, etc. I suggest you keep the politics out or the mods will quickly close your thread.

Good luck.

We have not encountered any hostility at all here in Puerto Vallarta. The altitude here is also not a problem (but the heat bothers some, lol).

Narda,

Come give Lake Chapala a visit.  I haven't seen any outward protests over Trump's election nor felt any discomfort from natives.  We still feel comfortable walking at night and don't have concerns about crime. 

Although it is mostly the same type of crime, it has increased both here and in SMA  fairly significantly since you lived in Mexico. Check out other web boards, Internet and news sources for more information as reporting local crime is no longer allowed on this board which is owned by a local real estate company.

Guest bennie2

dont sterotype mexicans. several are happy about the outcome. the rest havnt said a word. enough w/the drama. if you want that then go to california or portland. plenty of action there. quiet here expect for some other issues.

The Mexicans are their usual gracious selves which is more than can be said for the sore losers.

Interestingly, I am reading that because of this election expats may have the yoke of FATCA lifted off our necks.  You may recall that was passed in 2010 by the folks who didn't win this election and only promised more of same in their platform.  The winners promised to repeal it.  We will see.

Too bad you are not already here, the Feria is on and more amazing than ever.  Always at this show the quality and depth of artistic talent in this country simply blows me away.  It is like Christmas in November for lovers of Mexican folk art.

What you might not like is that this area is booming and the traffic is getting pretty bad almost all the time.  Also the locals seem to be doing well enough to buy bigger and more cojetes than before.  October was pretty hard on the ears and sleeping.

Finally, we've had this annoying weather pattern that has killed the sunshine for like 4 days now and looks to hang on for a while longer.  Maybe you could bring a wind shift to blow this crap out of here?

And the roads in Jalisco just seem to get worse and worse with the exception of those pricey toll roads.  Leave the sedan at home and think about a HumVee or halftrack.

If you want to see anything from your tax dollars better buy/rent in Chapala.  Things are looking great there these days.

Otherwise, good luck.

Come on down!

The Mexican people are very gracious and realize that not all Americans represent the thinking of Mr. Trump. I make it a point to speak with everyone I see or pass on my walks and always get a big smile and positive response back immediately. As to the crime rate, when asked that question when others realize I live here in wonderful Ajijic on Lake Chapala, I always remind the questioner that I said "Mexico" . . . not "Chicago". Do your research and come visit and see for yourself. There are some wonderful B&Bs here in Ajijic for short stays.

The Mexican people I know freely agree and admit that the current border situation would not be tolerated by Mexico if things were reversed.  If one really believes this is about one election or one politician they are not paying attention to the polling on this topic in America or the general backlash in the western world to excessive and out of control migration.

This is an opportunity for Mexico to step up to the plate as a responsible equal partner to the U.S. and that requires acceptance of the fact the day of the double standard is passing and the employment conditions that caused the "wink and a nod" U.S. border policies no longer exist.  Times and attitudes do change and one thing that does need to change here is the idea that people from Mexico or any other country are entitled to enter the U.S. illegally.

My concern about all this is that the first crackdown up there is likely to be throwing the considerable criminal illegal immigrant population out of the U.S. and too many of them may find their way here simply because there are a lot of expats in this area.  San Miguel may also experience this if it happens at all.

"The Mexicans are their usual gracious selves which is more than can be said for the sore losers."  MC

" The problem is, this is the first election these coddled millennials have ever come out on the short end of. This is the first time they haven’t gotten a participation trophy. They have never learned to cope with losing. If they don’t win, the system must be … rigged. "  Howie Carr

Citing facts about the origins of FATCA and who wanted to keep it versus who wants to repeal it is not politics.  Check your history from 2010 and google up the respective positions on this topic and it is very clear.

Nor is discussing what is going on at the U.S. border politics.  It is happening, it is being reported widely and it is driving a backlash.  Pretending this is all about one politician or one election is politics.  This has been going on for a long time, it is a general problem in much of the world and it is coming to a head.  Denial or trying to blame it on individuals or single elections is incorrect.  

Pew has done some very good polling on this and some might want to look it up.

I'll tell you this, I can't remember any riots, hitting of punching bags, attacking people in the streets or any of this other stuff going on when the previous administration was elected and then re-elected.  This has been most of the news for the last three days.  Some people really need to grow up.

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I'll tell you this, I can't remember any riots, hitting of punching bags, attacking people in the streets or any of this other stuff going on when the previous administration was elected and then re-elected.  This has been most of the news for the last three days.  Some people really need to grow up.

Reminds me of shopping at WalMart NOB and seeing those spoiled children throwing a "fit" when they don't get what they want ! Recently, I was with my oldest daughter, when such an incident took place. She said "Dad, were we like that when we were that age?" My response to her was , you might not be here today, if you were like that. She hugged my neck. :D

Mainecoons, you have just, for POLITICAL reasons, insulted many lakesiders who are in deep pain due to the recent stateside event. "Sore losers", indeed.  Does this bring you joy to do this?

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

And a dangerous demagogue with no political experience has ever been elected as president of the United States before. And I`ll just bet you`re going to say that I`m being political and you`re not? Who started this discussion?

If seeking out great weather Cuernavaca and area is about as good as it gets and would be our first choice. We visit often. And people there have more to do than getting wrapped up in politics. Soon the moderator with make a political comment under his regular name and then under moderator name immediately shut down this thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuernavaca

38 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

Mainecoons, you have just, for POLITICAL reasons, insulted several hundreds or thousands of lakesiders who are in deep pain due to the recent stateside event. "Sore losers", indeed.  Does this bring you joy to do this?

I suspect MC was referring to the hooligans we see rioting on TV. I suspect that after Jan. 20 we will see less of that just as we saw the Iran hostages released.

Archived