Chapala.com Webboard

stun guns legal?

3 hours ago, WideSky said:

The office at Chapala Haciendas had some stun guns for sale; if you are interested Tel.- 376-765-4045
They were either 450 or 500 pesos and came in different colors. Don't know if he has any left.

Thanks, ordered on Mercado Libre and expect to have it soon.  I believe the number they wanted was to ensure my identity.  It seemed to say delivery would be quicker with the information.

13 hours ago, el bartman said:

sorry Nothrn, I don't know how to do it just that they are asking for the INE card which is only for citizens of Mexico.   Many people here have said they've used Mercadolibre or Amazon Mexico so I'm sure they can help.

I promised to reveal my attorney's thoughts on the matter of the legality of tasers.   They, TASERS,  are illegal as ambconsultants opined, to carry and to do so they, my attorney, would have me go to the military to register and seek a permit to carry.   As amconsultant also said it depends on who stops you and who the Commandante is indicating a local interpretation.  

A WEAPON IS HERE AS WELL AS THE US OR CANADA IS:

1. anything designed to be used as a weapon;
  2. anything that a person uses as a weapon, whether that thing is designed as a weapon or not; and
  3. anything that one intends to use as a weapon regardless of its design.

the American Civil Liberties Union in Connecticut issued a news release about 4 years ago calling for new legislation to regulate the use of Tasers by law enforcement. According to ACLU staff attorney David McGuire the man’s death shows a pattern going back nearly a decade of Taser-related deaths.

And for you-all who are not understanding -- a TASER shoots a projectile  -- the legal Stun Gun does not but does make the noise to which dogs tend to react with some trepidation.

I think your attorney is wrong and what does the law in Mexico have to do with laws in the U.S.?

Real guns are not sold on Mercardolibre, Amazon MX and hardware stores because that is illegal. Tasers, stun guns, BB guns, and Air Rifles can be sold because they are not lethal weapons. Please post the law that says non-lethal weapons are illegal.

3 minutes ago, lcscats said:

Excuse me but Tasers kill people. They are not harmless contrary to popular belief.  So your non lethal argument does not apply but what do I know.

Spencer!  Please speak up.

Thye might be lethal to some people but so can water guns and BB guns,  but to most people,  they are not lethal. If they were illegal they would be regulated and not sold on Mercardolibre, Amazon MX, hardware stores, etc.

6 minutes ago, Joco said:

Thye might be lethal to some people but so can water guns and BB guns,  but to most people,  they are not lethal. If they were illegal they would be regulated and not sold on Mercardolibre, Amazon MX, hardware stores, etc.

I get it....but my point is that if you shoot the wrong person with a taser (like old or heart condition) they can die.  Tasers kill people and most folks think them 100% non lethal.  So like a gun do you really want to taser someone knowing tasers like a gun have a lethal tendancy?  Yes a taser is safer than a gun.  My own stupidity made me volunteer to be tasered and I was so Uber stupid for volunteering so I know what this weapon feels like. Never again ever.   

Sorry not clear. The criminal law I quoted was the  criminal cade for the state of Jalisco.

Artículo 119. Se impondrán de diez a cincuenta días de multa o de veinte a cien jornadas de trabajo a favor de la
comunidad, a quien fabrique, haga acopio, suministre, regale, compre, venda o porte, sin causa justificada, algún
instrumento que comúnmente pueda ser utilizado para agredir,tales como navajas, verduguillos, puñales, dagas o
cualquier otro objeto punzocortante así como objetos pirotécnicos o que contengan material inflamable, corrosivo,
explosivo o cualquier otro que pueda provocarlesiones o daños a las personas y objetos.

Like I said it is a grey area in the law. You might be ok with a CO2 version. But you might get pulled over by an uptight cop.

Found this on the internet.

"According to Taser's Mexican distributors, both the sale and the use of stun-guns are restricted to the police. They do not mention whether simple possession is also restricted, but it's never a good idea to argue fine points of law with law-enforcement officials. Verbatim:

La Secretaría de la Defensa Nacional de México, a través de la Dirección General del Registro Federal de Armas de Fuego y Control de Explosivos, ha dictaminado que la venta y el uso de los Inmovilizadores Temporales Disuasivos (ITDs) que funcionan a través de corriente eléctrica están limitados exclusivamente a las fuerzas de seguridad pública a nivel federal, estatal y municipal en México.

In short, leave your stun-gun at home.

From my many times I have been searched  and my experience in Mexico I would say. 50% chance they will confiscate or want you to donate, 20% chance they will take you in ( if you are a young Mexican male I would raise this to 80%) and 30% chance they will let you go.

As I said before I am very conservative in my opinions.

The sellers of tazers say they are considered legal. I am just not sure how they can make that assurance.?? I would love to see the argument. As mentioned there might be some state interpretation or decision that says tazers and stun guns are ok?? I have not found any.

I have been wanting to petition the state police for their opinion for all of the self defence type items . Have not had time. 

Just remember even if a certain item could be deemed legal by the court since it is such a grey area the cop that pulls you over might not think the same.

You now have two lawyers that have a similar opinion. Everyone can decide with the info they have.

Be careful with Mercado libre because I have seen many illegal items for sale. Including guns.

More info.

So it looks like tazers and  possibly stun guns ( depending on definition) cannot be used or imported legally without a permit.

The military has stated as seen in my previous post that any device that immobilizes with electricity cannot de imported or used by civilians.

What I am not sure about is if there is any penalty for use or possession? This statement came from the Weapons Registry Office of the Military. Need to see what legal effects that has or if it has been made into a law. Previously was not. No time to check right now.  Need to read a little more..

1 hour ago, Joco said:

I think your attorney is wrong and what does the law in Mexico have to do with laws in the U.S.?

Real guns are not sold on Mercardolibre, Amazon MX and hardware stores because that is illegal. Tasers, stun guns, BB guns, and Air Rifles can be sold because they are not lethal weapons. Please post the law that says non-lethal weapons are illegal.

Interesting  Joco, where did you get your law degree?   Yes they can be sold, no one disputed that.   Can they be carried is, as I said, the question and which I answered.  

14 minutes ago, ambconsultants said:

More info.

So it looks like tazers and  possibly stun guns ( depending on definition) cannot be used or imported legally without a permit.

The military has stated as seen in my previous post that any device that immobilizes with electricity cannot de imported or used by civilians.

What I am not sure about is if there is any penalty for use or possession? This statement came from the Weapons Registry Office of the Military. Need to see what legal effects that has or if it has been made into a law. Previously was not. No time to check right now.  Need to read a little more..

The area you said is gray in the law is clear that the law is not describing stun guns, tasers, air rifles, BB guns, etc. Pyrotechnic devices are not the same.

People are wanting to prevent dog attacks. No one said anything about traveling with any type of weapon. I assume the dog attacks are happening when people are walking near their homes, not on the highways.

Google translate:

Article 119 shall be imposed from ten to fifty days fine or twenty to one hundred days of work for the community, who manufactures, make gathering, supply, give, buys, sells or carries without cause, any instrument commonly it can be used to attack, such as knives, verduguillos, daggers, knives or any other sharp object and pyrotechnic objects or containing flammable, corrosive, explosive or any other materials that may provocarlesiones or damage to persons and objects.

You can own a gun in Mexico also:

The Mexican Constitution says:

Article 10 - The inhabitants of the United Mexican States have the right to possess arms in their residences for their security and legitimate defense with the exception of those prohibited by federal law, and those reserved for the exclusive use of the military.  Federal law will determine the cases, conditions, requisites, and places in which the bearing of arms by inhabitants will be authorized.

The inhabitants of the United Mexican States” means Mexican citizens and, as defined in other laws, foreign citizens who hold a valid immigration status beyond FMM.

Mexican federal law regarding firearms and explosives (Ley Federal de Armas de Fuego y Explosivos) is here. Note in particular Article 27:

Article 27. The right to carry arms will only be authorized for foreigners when, in addition to satisfying the requirements indicated in the previous article, they accredit their status of "Inmigrado" except in the case of temporary license permits for tourists with sports-related intentions.  Visitors/tourists (Visitante) do not have gun rights without a license. This license is only issued for "sporting purposes."

The privilege of carrying a firearm outside of one's home is limited to what is authorized by Mexican federal law.  Mexican citizens and a Residente Permanente can apply for a carry permit. Convincing evidence must be presented showing why a carry permit is needed.  Such a permit is very hard to get.  There are work-arounds by membership in a hunting or gun club as discussed below.

All privately-owned firearms must be registered with the Mexican army.

Owning a gun for personal protection

If you decide to get a gun for protection in your home, you better be prepared to take a human life and be able to live with the consequences.  Among those are facing retaliation by the dead man’s family.  This is no small threat.  If you kill a man, or especially a boy, you can expect big trouble from the family.  You also can also expect a long and expensive legal battle to prove that your action was justified.

Types of guns allowed

Article 11 of Ley Federal de Armas de Fuego y Explosivos lists prohibited "military firearms" in México.

They include:

full-auto and semi-auto handguns larger than 380

revolver .357 Magnum or larger

rifles larger than .30 caliber

shotguns  larger than 12ga or with a barrel shorter than 25".

Allowed hand gun calibers are .380 auto, .38 and .22.

Allowed long guns: rifles no larger the 30 caliber; shotguns 12, 20 and 410 with barrels longer than 25”

1 hour ago, lcscats said:

I get it....but my point is that if you shoot the wrong person with a taser (like old or heart condition) they can die.  Tasers kill people and most folks think them 100% non lethal.  So like a gun do you really want to taser someone knowing tasers like a gun have a lethal tendancy?  Yes a taser is safer than a gun.  My own stupidity made me volunteer to be tasered and I was so Uber stupid for volunteering so I know what this weapon feels like. Never again ever.   

I thought this was about preventing dog attacks. 

Most burglars and thugs that people might need to shoot, are young and usually don't have heart problems,  but if they do it is probably due to drugs.

This subject is about preventing dog attacks. Not traveling the country with weapons.

The U.S. has had several SCOTUS justices without law degrees. Do you think they could not comprehend the law?

I do know this, citing U.S. law in Mexico is not helpful. They are different countries with different laws.

Joco, to walk your dog you carry the weapon.   The reference may have been from a US site if only to indicate death has been attributed to the TAZER.   The legal opinion was from a MEXICAN attorney and was demonstrated as an opinion.   You are making an arguement out of a discussion and made your point several times, please let the rest of us digest the information and make our own decisions!

• 4 years later...