Chapala.com Webboard

stun guns legal?

One of my dogs was attacked yesterday by a huge muscled up pit bull.  Fortunately he was relatively unscathed but I want to be prepared in case the occasion arises again.  I know lots of people carry pepper spray but in a situation such as we experienced yesterday. I would have sprayed my dog as well.  If I had had a stun gun, I would have been able to get him in the back and, hopefully, scare him off.

All suggestions appreciated.

17 minutes ago, Crazydog said:

Water gun works too. If you spray water in the dogs face they will get shocked and let go the biting/victim dog.

Not on a Pit Bull. Stun gun or cattle prod might work. They were bred for generations to be impervious to pain so stopping them can be difficult.

17 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

Not on a Pit Bull. Stun gun or cattle prod might work. They were bred for generations to be impervious to pain so stopping them can be difficult.

Two of my dogs used to get in fights. One was a pit bull. The water gun saved us from many vet bills and wounds on both dogs. After a few fights the dogs finally made peace. Now they get very obedient every time they see the water gun.

FYI: pitbulls may have a high pain tolerance but they hate water. 

1 hour ago, el bartman said:

A tazer is illegal because it shoots a projectile.   The stun gun is legal but since its only a few inches would you be comfortable putting your hand to the body of a pit bull while its in attack mode?   Cattle prod makes sense, where do you find them here?

Tazers are legal. Anything that is deadly is illegal. You can buy tazers on Mercardolibre as well as BB guns and Air Rifles.

http://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/tazer

I have a tazar, actually three. I never have to use it ON an animal, when unfriendly dogs come around , I just push the button on and the noise makes them run away fast,This had worked many times. No one gets hurt.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Newjersey expat said:

I have a tazar, actually three. I never have to use it ON an animal, when unfriendly dogs come around , I just push the button on and the noise makes them run away fast,This had worked many times. No one gets hurt.

I heard one today and absolutely agree that the noise should be enough.

One of our dogs was attacked years ago and I emptied a full can of pepper spray in the face of the attacker at close range as I had ahold of his collar. It did nothing! A tazers noise usually works 

Thanks Joco, I did not know that.   I was thinking of the next step which is to carry a concealed weapon.   While not lethal it is still a weapon.   Have sent the info to my attorney and awaiting reply.   Also from my experience with tazers to make a noise you need to pull the trigger which sends the projectile.   I know people seem to think stun guns are tazers so it does get a little confusing for my old mind.

The state law says the following in Spanish.

Artículo 119. Se impondrán de diez a cincuenta días de multa o de veinte a cien jornadas de trabajo a favor de la
comunidad, a quien fabrique, haga acopio, suministre, regale, compre, venda o porte, sin causa justificada, algún
instrumento que comúnmente pueda ser utilizado para agredir,tales como navajas, verduguillos, puñales, dagas o
cualquier otro objeto punzocortante así como objetos pirotécnicos o que contengan material inflamable, corrosivo,
explosivo o cualquier otro que pueda provocarlesiones o daños a las personas y objetos.

In my opinion a Tazer could be considered illegal, for two reasons:

1) The state law above prohibits any object that can be used to attack,  cause lesions or damage to  anyone then it gives specific examples of mostly knife type items. Unless they try to use some other point in the law the worst thing in this case is a fine and community service. In this case a tazer has two darts. A pretty easy fit under this law. Not very likely the government would  though with this type of legal action.

This law is very general as you can see and I am giving a very conservative interpretation.

2) If the Tazer uses some kind of explosive charge to propel the darts in my opinion it would  be considered against the federal law. Ley Federal de Armas de Fuego. If it uses CO2 probably ok.

I have asked many policeman over the years and they seem to not be too sure if, tazers, stun guns or gas are legal in Jalisco.  Seems to depend on who stops you.

To not have any problems I would say that Chile gas is the safest, then a stun gun and then a tazer  ( powered by CO2).

This is a strict interpretation of the law. Usually the cop will probably leave you alone or take it from you if you go through a search, especially if you are an older gringo./foreigner

Mace that is made from what is known as tear gas is illegal under federal law.

If I get a second I will look up the Juris Prudence decisions and see if this law has been defined any more by way of court decision.

This is just one lawyers opinion that does not specialize in criminal law. So especially if you are going to carry a tazer with some explosive mechanism check with a criminal attorney first.

This is a tough room... Just trying to help.  If you can quote a law or court decision that says I am wrong I would love to hear it. I want  one too.

I had a 4M volt stun gun and it was legal, when you hit the key it arched between the contacts making a very very loud snapping, crackling electrical arching noise, plus you see the arch and I would hope that would be enough to interrupt the event, if not you use it, shouldn't take more than once to make the point.

On 10/24/2016 at 6:31 PM, Joco said:

Tazers are legal. Anything that is deadly is illegal. You can buy tazers on Mercardolibre as well as BB guns and Air Rifles.

http://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/tazer

I have gotten pretty much through the process of ordering and now am stumped when it asks for 

Ingresa el número de INE

1 hour ago, nothernewbie said:

I have gotten pretty much through the process of ordering and now am stumped when it asks for 

Ingresa el número de INE

I don't know. Ask the seller. Maybe it is the receipt number after you pay at OXXO, a bank, etc. I have heard that the product is sent immediately after it is paid. 

I think now it accepts a bank card to pay online.

It's been awhile since I bought from them so I don't remember everything I did..

sorry Nothrn, I don't know how to do it just that they are asking for the INE card which is only for citizens of Mexico.   Many people here have said they've used Mercadolibre or Amazon Mexico so I'm sure they can help.

I promised to reveal my attorney's thoughts on the matter of the legality of tasers.   They, TASERS,  are illegal as ambconsultants opined, to carry and to do so they, my attorney, would have me go to the military to register and seek a permit to carry.   As amconsultant also said it depends on who stops you and who the Commandante is indicating a local interpretation.  

A WEAPON IS HERE AS WELL AS THE US OR CANADA IS:

1. anything designed to be used as a weapon;
  2. anything that a person uses as a weapon, whether that thing is designed as a weapon or not; and
  3. anything that one intends to use as a weapon regardless of its design.

the American Civil Liberties Union in Connecticut issued a news release about 4 years ago calling for new legislation to regulate the use of Tasers by law enforcement. According to ACLU staff attorney David McGuire the man’s death shows a pattern going back nearly a decade of Taser-related deaths.

And for you-all who are not understanding -- a TASER shoots a projectile  -- the legal Stun Gun does not but does make the noise to which dogs tend to react with some trepidation.