Chapala.com Webboard

need advise for dog bite compensation

Constance

11 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Dog bites are ALWAYS potentially dangerous. If the skin is broken, there is a good likelihood of infection. Don't wait to see if the wound becomes infected. Have your gardener get medical attention now. As soon as it happens, any dog attack that breaks the skin should be reported to the police. You can then go before a judge and get a settlement amount. If the person fails to pay, you can then file with the Ministerio Público .

Exactly right.  ALL dog bites that even nick the skin need medical attention immediately BEFORE the area becomes totally infected.  Dog's mouths are filthy - you never know if they were just eating trash or horse poop or something.

An annoying little "heel-biter" in my neighborhood bit me years ago when I was new here.  I went immediately to Dr. Leon who gave me shots.  The skin was bruised but not bleeding, but he said that there could be tiny lesions.  I was wearing Levi 501 jeans at the time with that tough denim.  If my legs had been bare, that little dog would have taken a good chunk out of my leg!

I reported this and the owner was required to meet me at the Minsterio Publico with an official person there (not police).  (About 8 years ago, maybe things were different then).  The person there told the owner she would be required to pay the medical expenses which came to about $40USD.  She actually cried from the upset because that is a lot of money to a lot of folks here.  She was given a deadline date by which to pay.  On that day, she came to my house with the money, but after much thought, I gave her back half of it and was glad she met her responsibility. Yes, it was a dicey situation.  I never saw the little dog again...

Archived