Chapala.com Webboard

• 7 months later...
3 minutes ago, King Knish said:

Crap, I am planning on moving with my 2 dogs and this is really scary stuff.  My dogs love to eat anything they can find.  I’m also worried about the 4 day drive down with them!

I think the majority of expats here have dogs.  Most have no problems living here.

However, to keep your dogs safe:

Keep them on a short leash so you can control what they are investigating.

Don't let them leave your dwelling without you holding said leash.

58 minutes ago, King Knish said:

Crap, I am planning on moving with my 2 dogs and this is really scary stuff.  My dogs love to eat anything they can find.  I’m also worried about the 4 day drive down with them!

Did you happen to look at the dates on the posts? late 2017 

If there have been anything recent it certainly hasn't been posted anywhere.

Although there have been dog poisonings, some by very evil people, I believe that the vast majority of poisoning comes from rat poison put out indiscriminately thinking only about the poisoning of the rats and not thinking about the possibility of dogs also being poisoned as well.  

I could be wrong, but whatever the source, plan for the worst and whenever your dogs are outside, if possible never let the dogs eat anything not from you. Trouble is, I am not sure how I could stop my dogs from eating snacks while not on my property.

Therefor the only time they leave my property is to visit the Vet.

How are your dogs going to get to rat or other poison if you don't let them out of your yard and you keep them on leashes when you take them off the property?  BTW, there is a leash law here, but unfortunately, too many "entitled" people ignore it.

If the city is so hard up for cash, they could station someone at the Ajijic Malecon on any morning it isn't raining and start handing out fines to those whose have unleashed pups running around.  This morning (Monday) they could have made a tidy sum around 8 am.😉

There was a possible dog poisoning this morning while a couple were out.  They came home to find two of their 3 dogs dead in the front gate area.  Facebook.

Training the dogs to "leave it" and "drop it" on command is pretty basic stuff. Using a short leash, watching what the dog tries to eat, and considering muzzles are all good suggestions. Life is full of risks. Minimize risks by taking precautions.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2018 at 9:07 PM, King Knish said:

I drive down from Toronto with my 90 lb Bernedoodle every year. Usually we take 6-7 days, as I don't rush. I recommend the La Quinta motels; everyone there has a dog, and there's no surcharge. It's trickier inside Mexico since accepting pets is unusual. I use Las Palmas Midway Inn.

when we came down many years ago we has our champion standard poodle with us. He hated to travel. Each night we checked into La Quinta, he would enter the room, look around and seemed to say in disgust. " You drive me around all day and we end up back in the same place every night."

• 3 months later...
On 9/17/2018 at 8:48 AM, HarryB said:

when we came down many years ago we has our champion standard poodle with us. He hated to travel. Each night we checked into La Quinta, he would enter the room, look around and seemed to say in disgust. " You drive me around all day and we end up back in the same place every night."

Old joke!

Archived