Chapala.com Webboard

We'll soon be heading back to Ajijic and would like to cut down on our luggage weight since we're flying.  Unfortunately, calcium is a heavy and bulky vitamin to travel with.

The Calcium I buy in Canada at Costco contains 600 mg / 800 UI of calcium, + 800 UI of Vitamin D3 + 50 mg of Magnesium oxide.

I understand that the body doesn't absorb the calcium without magnesium.

I'd be very appreciative if someone could let me know if those 3 ingredients are in Costco's Calcium and in what quantity.  Or is there another health store in Ajijic which would sell Calcium with magnesium and vitamin D?  Many thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Bontekoe said:

LOL Read the label!

She read the label from her bottle purchased at Costco in CANADA which is where she is at the moment. She wants to know if the ingredients are the same if purchased from Costco HERE so she doesn't have to lug it down here in a suitcase.

You're telling her to read the label...I suggest you go back and read her post.

Sorry, I cannot speak for the Costco brand but they do sell Citrical here at the local Walmart. Citrical, which is a calcium citrate, is more easily absorbed by the body that a calcium carbonate. Most calcium supplements are made with the cheaper calcium carbonate. Citrical also contains magnesium and vitamin D to help absorption.

Bontekoe, read the post. Arjay can't very well read a bottle label in a Mexico Costco from NOB. It would help if Costco mx website would actually list ALL their products. But they don't so play nice and try be constructive. Whoops, Ferret just beat me to it. Now you have it from 2 of us....

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

She read the label from her bottle purchased at Costco in CANADA which is where she is at the moment. She wants to know if the ingredients are the same if purchased from Costco HERE so she doesn't have to lug it down here in a suitcase.

You're telling her to read the label...I suggest you go back and read her post.

Thank  you Ferret and Semalu.  Some people are too quick trying to be a smart ### than actually reading the post and trying to be helpful.

I buy at Costco and recently the bottle is 600mg Calcium withD3 which aids in absorption of calcium.  Sorry I cannot tell you price as I forget and have no clue of prices in Canada.  It is more expensive than in USA though but with exchange rate not too bad.  I am on the calcium by dr. orders, I do take magnesium as well, but it is not an absolute necessity.  :)

Do you know how many tablets you get for 82 pesos?  The ones I buy in Canada are 300 tablets (can't remember the price but it's about $15-20 Canadian.)

I didn't quite understand your comment " what is on the label and what is actually in the product of a Walmart supplement may be very different" - does that mean Walmart misrepresents what's actually in the product?

I found it on the Lake Chapala Personal Assistant website ... http://www.chapala-pa.com/#!online-store/c26h/!/Supplements-&-Vitamins/c/11388380/offset=9&sort=nameAsc  second row down on your right. ...of course that doesn't mean they stock it in every store. I also can't see if it's Calcium Citrate or if the Magnesium to Calcium ratio is correct.

Arjay, you may want to take a look at this Webber Naturals...the first link is Webber Naturals from Costco Canada which gives quite a bit of detail in the write up. The second link is from Webber Naturals site which is more bang for your buck/more product and higher concentration. You can order on line. and have it delivered to your home  I don't think you have to leave them in the bottles. Many of our guests have brought down their supplements in a ziplock with no problems.

http://www.costco.ca/Webber-naturals®-Calcium-Magnesium-with-Vitamin-D3----3-x-120-Tablets.product.100145038.html

https://well.ca/products/webber-naturals-calcium-magnesium_5326.html

The Kirkland brand is not calcium citrate. Costco in Guadalajara does carry Caltrate +D, which is calcium citrate. My gynecologist has instructed me to take this form, so I order it from a supplement company in the US and bring it back with me or have someone bring it down to me. If I run out, then I buy Caltrate at Costco here. I did compare Costco's price here with what I would pay for Caltrate in the States and the prices were very similar. 

11 hours ago, bezerk said:

I buy at Costco and recently the bottle is 600mg Calcium withD3 which aids in absorption of calcium.  Sorry I cannot tell you price as I forget and have no clue of prices in Canada.  It is more expensive than in USA though but with exchange rate not too bad.  I am on the calcium by dr. orders, I do take magnesium as well, but it is not an absolute necessity.  :)

the magnesium IS absolutely necessary. if it isn't available--and it is easily lost in urine- the calcium will migrate into surrounding tissues and also cause dental problems. the most easily absorbed form of magnesium is magnesium chloride, called magnesium oil because of its oily tecture when mixed 1:1 with water. it is absorbed transdermally. you can get the chrystals at El Granero. check out the site:www.empoweredsustanance.com/magnesium-oil-uses. other forms are epsom salts-magnesium sulfate--magnesium gultanate has better bioavailability than magnesium citrate that isn't and can cause some diaherrea...

If you are eating foods sufficient in magnesium then you may not need supplementation...is my point..I do take a supplement as I am on high high doses of calcium but normally a person consumes a balance sufficient in their food.  It is best to get your vitamins and minerals from food as opposed to pills or supplements.  Just saying!

I was at Costco yesterday and checked the calcium.  The Costco brand is 180 tablets of calcium carbonate with Vit. D at about 82 pesos.  The Caltrate + D is also calcium carbonate; much more expensive and requires 4 tablets to get the recommended daily dose; 360 tablets.  Grind up oyster shells to get your carbonate cheaper, if that's what you want.

While I was there I looked at a lot of other neutraceuticals on their shelves.  Read the labels carefully unless you want to get stung by Costco.  Perhaps good prices but not if you have to take 4 tablets instead of one a day--I was flabergasted.

Archived