Chapala.com Webboard

Internet disconnects

Jistme

Does anyone else keep getting their connection to the internet shut down, with the explanation that "you are not connected to the server."

This occurs on an almost daily basis, usually in the evening around 8pm.  No connection until next morning after pull out all cable connections,

and get a restart,  if I'm lucky.

Any and all advice welcome, this is a brand new modem, the old modem gave me the same problem.

If this is a new modem, then you should call TelMex, because it is not a problem with the general public here. 01-800-123-2222. It's Mexico City: when it answers and you start getting Spanish messages, keep pressing "1" to bypass them until you get what will obviously be a live person, and ask for "Help in English, please".

I live in Rancho del Oro and this is a continual problem ... The internet drops out  at sunup and sundown... Now that may correspond to shift changes but this has been constant for over a year.. Calls to Texmex have provided minor relief... The phone line had loose nuts at the box... 

Things south of the border are what they are...Minimum competition usually means less than adequate service...

The best connection I ever had was in Moldova where the previous country landlords (Soviets) had installed fibe optic cables throughout the city... Nothing much else worked (heat, gas, etc) but I had swell internet...

There's an overload of internet activity. Telmex isn't investing in new equipment to meet the demand since they expect less traffic in the future because the new telecommunications law allows for competition and restricts their market share to less than 50% in the future. In the meantime, just get used to it. Unplugging your cables and resetting modems does nothing to help since the problems are located in Guadalajara or Monterrey.

I live in Chapala and have frequent interruptions throughout the day. It usually lasts for just a minute or two but is very annoying. 

I was also having excruciatingly slow service for months. Last week, Telmex was working on lines in my hood. Since then speed is better, not great but better. Maybe it is just a coincidence but I will take it.

3 hours ago, alex45920 said:

There's an overload of internet activity. Telmex isn't investing in new equipment to meet the demand since they expect less traffic in the future because the new telecommunications law allows for competition and restricts their market share to less than 50% in the future. In the meantime, just get used to it. Unplugging your cables and resetting modems does nothing to help since the problems are located in Guadalajara or Monterrey.

You are seriously suggesting that a mega-corporation like TelMex is going to... what... stop competing because the competition is stronger? Two things: they do have a board of directors, you know. And secondly, they just invested a shit-ton of money to improve the infrastructure. I'd be really interested to see this new law.

Sorry but Telmex is investing big time.  Telecable is hanging on waiting til Izzy can do something about the problems.  I gave up on Telecable. Luckily Telmex fixed our distance problem and we now get 8 which I can live with.  Eventually they will get around to the areas farther out but don't hold your breath.  They promised much higher speeds next year.

Time will tell.

We had this problem two or three years ago (NOB and in Ajijic) - and resolved it using a suggestion we found on this board. Rather than using the Telmex or your Internet Provider's  default "domain name server" change your defaults to something like a Google Server (8.8.8.8  or 8.8.8.4), Here's a link to tell you how

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001161.htm

I've read these responses with interest as we have been plagued with intermittent connection and slow speeds for the last month or so with TelMex.  We finally had to leave Telecable because their entire technical staff were practically family since they were at our home pretty much every week and sometimes almost daily.  It was seldom, if ever, anything inside our house but seemed to always be a problem with a cable somewhere or an issue in the office.  We'd been pretty happy with TelMex until this past month when we've had the same issues people are describing above.

Not really sure what, if anything, can be done.

Valerie :)

I live in San Juan, which is definitely "out there".  We've been here for more than ten years.  About five years ago, we started experiencing loss of connection problems.  I was two years at Apple and a couple at Sun Micro, so I have some fairly advanced  programs on my computer. The  computer kept saying "Lost connection to Server".  As time passed, it started happening more and more.  Telmex in Ajijic was less than helpful.  I would go in and complain, the man at the desk would make a call and for about a day, all would be well. Finally, I called support in Mexico City.  Boy , did I get an earful.  They basically said that there was nothing they could do because there weren't enough servers, and Chapala and Ajijic kept signing up more customers..  When Telecable got to San Juan, I was hopeful, but we all know how that turned out.  To add insult to injury, when ever I would go to Guad, I would see billboards advertising  Telmex  internet at very high speeds.  Last time I looked, they were offering over 100 MPS.  I could live with ten MPS and be happy if I didn't get disconnected every 2 or three minutes.  What happened in Guad?  Competition.   The only hope I can see is if Telecable's new owners get it together.  Give us an alternative and watch how fast Telmex responds.

The process I described above (changing your default "domain name server") circumvents the problem with the slow response time from your provider's (Telmex) server. It fixed the problem for us. I thought it was my old computer and upgraded to a new one which made it worse because the new computer had an even lower tolerance for a slow response time. Give it a try.

On 8/6/2016 at 3:54 PM, ComputerGuy said:

You are seriously suggesting that a mega-corporation like TelMex is going to... what... stop competing because the competition is stronger? Two things: they do have a board of directors, you know. And secondly, they just invested a shit-ton of money to improve the infrastructure. I'd be really interested to see this new law.

Have you read the post by Jaykay in this thread? According to Jaykay, Telmex support at the main office in Mexico City verifies that what I had to say about the failure to upgrade equipment is the problem...specifically, a shortage of servers. Perhaps "infrastructure" has a different meaning to Telmex than what you think it means. If you feel it's necessary to see the new Ley Federal de Telecomunicaciones...google it.

14 hours ago, jaykay said:

I live in San Juan, which is definitely "out there".  We've been here for more than ten years.  About five years ago, we started experiencing loss of connection problems.  I was two years at Apple and a couple at Sun Micro, so I have some fairly advanced  programs on my computer. The  computer kept saying "Lost connection to Server".  As time passed, it started happening more and more.  Telmex in Ajijic was less than helpful.  I would go in and complain, the man at the desk would make a call and for about a day, all would be well. Finally, I called support in Mexico City.  Boy , did I get an earful.  They basically said that there was nothing they could do because there weren't enough servers, and Chapala and Ajijic kept signing up more customers..  When Telecable got to San Juan, I was hopeful, but we all know how that turned out.  To add insult to injury, when ever I would go to Guad, I would see billboards advertising  Telmex  internet at very high speeds.  Last time I looked, they were offering over 100 MPS.  I could live with ten MPS and be happy if I didn't get disconnected every 2 or three minutes.  What happened in Guad?  Competition.   The only hope I can see is if Telecable's new owners get it together.  Give us an alternative and watch how fast Telmex responds.

Much bigger pipes in Guad.  Yes you can see 30 or 50 when we are lucky to get 8 with either service.   Faster speeds are  coming from Telmex but when who knows.  I saw 100 for 999P for future DSL options SOMEDAY.  Maybe later this year I was told in our hood which use to have .8 to 3 as fastest speed.  So upgrades are going on with Telmex.  Never got anybody from Izzy/Telecable/megacable  to talk to me.  My Telecable 10 was impossible to live with and impossible to fix so I cancelled it. Bet we will have higher speeds from them when they get the money to upgrade. Until than I will stick with Telmex 8 service.  In my opinion Telecable is not a good option again just like the old days.  Both companies have capacity problems but at least Telmex works 99% as I don't have the server connect problems.  Hey your mileage may vary.

22 hours ago, alex45920 said:

Have you read the post by Jaykay in this thread? According to Jaykay, Telmex support at the main office in Mexico City verifies that what I had to say about the failure to upgrade equipment is the problem...specifically, a shortage of servers. Perhaps "infrastructure" has a different meaning to Telmex than what you think it means. If you feel it's necessary to see the new Ley Federal de Telecomunicaciones...google it.

Now you are sidestepping the issue with rhetoric. I didn't say all infrastructure had been improved, but that's beside the point. Your comment ("Telmex isn't investing in new equipment to meet the demand since they expect less traffic in the future because the new telecommunications law allows for competition and restricts their market share to less than 50% in the future.") was both speculative and just plain incorrect. The fact, and I repeat myself, is that TelMex has quite obviously done a good deal of upgrading, as many many local users can attest, after having seen their speeds double in the last few months. lscats is just one example of a user on this very board. The upgrade from ADSL to VDSL is a good example. Perhaps I should add that I have seen the laws (two years old now); they are basically antitrust, and do not preclude anyone from having more than 50% share of the market. Maybe you should Google it.

Further, tech support in Mexico City has been trained to give a variety of answers to complaints about service; one in particular is "lack of servers".  This has almost no meaning in the real world of Internet infrastructure.

In regard to Sem123's suggestion as to how to fix the problem,  it certainly seems to be worth a try.  After I read how the fix would work, I thought I had read something similar in regard to another internet problem.  Then I remembered.  Youtube, the music video site, had a problem of not playing the video you selected.  Instead, you would get an error message.  It had been happening since 2009.  The fix that someone came up with was the same one Sem123 offered.  Basically, you no longer use Telmex's server.  Instead, you use Google's or any one of numerous others.  As soon as my tech gets back from Puerto Vallarta and his vacation (he's got a nerve not being here) I will try the remedy Sem123 has suggested.  As soon as we try it, I will start a new thread and let you know how it turned out.  Hey, nothing to lose. I think the process as I understand it might be more than I could handle, so I'll put it in the hands of an expert.  Will let you know.

basically

For those who would like to try bypassing TelMex's DNS, there is a very good program called NAMEBENCH that will help you find the "fastest" public servers. Click here, for instructions and a download link: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16372/find-a-faster-dns-server-with-namebench/Here's what a typical report might look like:

640x442x22bench.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+p

Unfortunately, the DNS trick doesn't solve my most recent connection issues here in Villa Nova. I keep a constant ping going to my equipment, and Telmex in the background to troubleshoot where in the path my connection is dropping. Lately, it's been on their end, but does seem to be getting better in the last day or so compared to when this thread was started. 

Even if it doesn't work for me in this specific instance, I agree that changing the DNS is a great idea. I tend to use 8.8.8.8 as well because it's easy to remember. I'll have to give namebench a look soon. 

And generally speaking it wouldn't solve the problem. It's not a question of the TelMex servers "dropping" a connection, or everyone else on those servers would be suffering the same way. Public servers might provide a better "speed" in some cases, but not a better connection: we still have to go through TelMex's infrastructure to get to those public servers. (DNSs are simply computers that look up Internet addresses.)

I offered the test tool in my previous post, rather than try to get technical about this, because most people are not trained in this area, and are happy with TelMex's own rote answers. BTW, Google's public DNS numbers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. and, being public, are hit by millions every day and are not designed to be professionally "fast".

You all are lucky not to live in Upper Chula Vista. We are at the end of the DSL loop and we can only dream of an 8 meg download. Telmex was rumored once upon a time to be bringing fiber up the hill from their Central Office...never happened.  DSL technology is so last century!!

13 hours ago, Paco Loco said:

You all are lucky not to live in Upper Chula Vista. We are at the end of the DSL loop and we can only dream of an 8 meg download. Telmex was rumored once upon a time to be bringing fiber up the hill from their Central Office...never happened.  DSL technology is so last century!!

Thats why Telmex is switching to VDSL and doing other things.  Hey at least they are trying to make it better rather than ignoring us like at Telecable.  Sorry you are at the end of the line but I was a year ago so hang on. You don't have much choice at least until Izzi (new parent company to telecable) decides to fix things.

This is kind of on subject.  Does anybody have any info on when and what Izzi is doing or plans to do?  I can't believe they would buy Telecable and leave it as is.

They may have gotten Telecable in a good deal, but it still must have been a lot of money.  With all the people we have on this board, I keep hoping some one has hard info.

Computer Guy, it's not the speed.  When I'm connected, I get 10 mips.  Hey, I could live with 5 mips if I could only stay connected.  If I'm watching a movie online or reading a pdf doc, no problem.  It's more the news programs, and Email.  The second you try to switch to another subject, you are looking at a 2 to three minute wait.  That's when I get the dreaded "can't find server" message.  I did think it was cool that I get different messages with the bad news.  Same bad news, but slightly different.

Archived