Chapala.com Webboard

Faster Internet in Rancho del Oro / Villa Nova Anyone?

Anyone interested in faster internet in Rancho del Oro / Villanova?    For 300,000 pesos one time contribution split among the residents, Telmex says they'd do a Fiber/VDSL upgrade which would give much faster speeds, 10-50 mB,   If we could find 100 residents interested in paying $3000 pesos one time each, with no change in Telmex monthly rate, we could get Rancho del Oro and Villa Nova upgraded.  Message me if interested and I'll add you to the list...So far I have 11 people.

Telmex mostly uses ADSL2+ service now whose speed drops with distance from the central office.  This link explains. 

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2012/graph-ADSL-speed-versus-distance .

Your router stats will also tell you the maximum distance attainable...For those of us in Rancho del Oro / Villa Nova, we're getting about 5/6Mpbs down, which is the max of about 3km, but we're really only 2km...With good cable, should be able to get 10 or more. So either the cable is lossy and old, or Telmex is throttling it back. 

When the distance gets too far, Telmex runs fiber to a neighborhood box and high speed VDSL from there.   VDSL works best up to about 1km.  This is why places like Riberas and Raquet Club have faster service than places like Rancho del Oro  on the distance limit.   Rancho del Oro / Villa Nova are not on the list to be upgraded anytime soon, because other areas are priority. 

Tom Kessler
Rio Bravo
Rancho del Oro
Cel. 33-31071859

2km is the actual theoretical maximum distance. VDSL requires no local hardware upgrades; all that is done at the head end, and is mostly a software method of feeding the bandwidth. Vista del Lago owners paid TelMex to upgrade their system a couple of years ago, and they are all rejoicing.

Computer Guy,

There are several local hardware upgrades required to switch from ADSL2+ to VDSL.  Telmex would have to install FTTN (Fiber to the Node) to the street cabinets which allows leveraging the copper loops for VDSL2 which only works over shorter distances, (about 1km) .  Also need to replace the older ADSL2 only modems.   This link describes:  http://www.ospmag.com/issue/article/vdsl2-turning-copper-gold

Lulugirl,

I'm afraid so...Slim (isn't that an oxymoron!) isn't going to spend his money in our neighborhood before he spends it on others more needy, unless we give him some help.At least not anytime soon. 

Just a thought, not an idea to inform also with axtel and totalplay about those costs? Those two companies also deliver high speed internet (200mbps symetric and 300mbps asymmetric), telephone and television in Guadalajara. Maybe it won't be much of a difference in price, but getting a third company would help much in getting things speed up and more stable. For example I can choose between five companies in my neighborhood and the quality of all five is excellent.

10 hours ago, tkessler said:

Computer Guy,

There are several local hardware upgrades required to switch from ADSL2+ to VDSL.  Telmex would have to install FTTN (Fiber to the Node) to the street cabinets which allows leveraging the copper loops for VDSL2 which only works over shorter distances, (about 1km) .  Also need to replace the older ADSL2 only modems.   This link describes:  http://www.ospmag.com/issue/article/vdsl2-turning-copper-gold

No, "several" is incorrect. To begin with, no fiber is required. And here, the DSL cards in most neighbourhoods were "upgraded" as standard some years ago, so that in truth only software application is required at the head end. There are very few neighbourhoods now that do not have the pre-installed infrastructure to get VDSL. The ones that don't stick out like a sore thumb, unfortunately.

And this is why TelMex was sending out drivers with loads of new modems over the last few months, dropping them off at homes that hadn't requested them.

5 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

No, "several" is incorrect. To begin with, no fiber is required. And here, the DSL cards in most neighbourhoods were "upgraded" as standard some years ago, so that in truth only software application is required at the head end. There are very few neighbourhoods now that do not have the pre-installed infrastructure to get VDSL. The ones that don't stick out like a sore thumb, unfortunately.

And this is why TelMex was sending out drivers with loads of new modems over the last few months, dropping them off at homes that hadn't requested them.

5 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Computer Guy,

Lulugirl,

I'm afraid so...Slim (isn't that an oxymoron!) isn't going to spend his money in our neighborhood before he spends it on others more needy, unless we give him some help.At least not anytime soon. 

Rancho del Oro and Villa Nova do not have  preinstalled infrastructure to support higher speed VDSL.  Most of the area is served by two old cabinets that have no DSL cards, only wires that link the underground Telmex feeder cables with the local aerial distribution cables.  They are located on the corners of Rio Yaqui @ Rio Nazas, and Callejon de Arroyo @ Carretera Chapla.   Photos here:   https://postimg.org/gallery/gfochx5u/       When a neighborhood is upgraded, Telmex installs additional cabinets with Fiber and DSL cards on top or to the side of existing cabinets.   

I think what they are talking about is what AT&T Uverse is in the US.

They bring a fiber optic cable to the distribution box, set in a second box with DSL cards and run DSL throughout the neighborhood.

With Uverse, AT&T could get a minimum of 24 MB down and about 2mb up.  They split the signal at the router into 4 X 6mb feeds which gave you 3 TV downloads and a computer tap.

We could reprogram the feeds and often did for game players into 5,5,5 and 9mb splits.

If TELMEX is quoting 10mb with new equipment, they are just looking for money.  I'm getting 10mb now (9.5 down, .5 up) and I live on top of the hill.  

Guys, its true, VDSL goes over copper....for about a max of about 1.5 Km...Problem is, normal central office copper runs are 3-4 km and longer, where ADSL limits out. ...VDSL leverages the last mile copper for higher speeds by using a limited length from upgraded neighborhood cabinet which have fiber. Thats where the VDSL cards are installed.   Once on VDSL, you can contract speeds much higher than 10 mb.  

This explains way lakeside places further out than Rancho del Oro have faster service.  They're running fiber for part of the leg.  There is no such thing as higher speeds than ADSL2 with existing infrastructure.  No free lunch.   VDSL runs much faster because the copper lengths it travels are shorter.

It seems true that Telmex could supply 10Meg to our area if they chose to.. I pay $599 and get about 6mg down.  Maybe those who pay the next tier up get 10M down.   

Telmex investment required is very real, a lot more than the 300K pesos they quoted.  We can all wait and hope they upgrade someday, or if we could find 100 residents willing to pay 3000 pesos one time, have it happen today.   

When they do decide to run the fiber for VDSL, they'll also provision the infrastructure of fiber to the home too...

• 10 months later...

Here's an update on this project.  Telmex is increasing capital investment at Lakeside to bring higher internet speeds, but Rancho del Oro/Villa Nova are not yet scheduled.  If residents are willing to pay part of the capital cost, they said they would accelerate (about $15000 USD) or $150 if we could get 100 people.

If you live in Rancho del Oro or Villa Nova, have Telmex service now, and are willing to contribute, please go to this sign up form to indicate your interest.

https://vdslajj.wufoo.com/forms/zfeo6660m135pf/

Tom Kessler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

What speed are you getting? I live just North or up hill from Las Salvias and I know someone who lives in central Las Salvias. We both get the maximum available in this area which is about 10 Mbit/sec down by about 1/2 a Mbit/sec up

I was told by the technician who checked my home that my connection could handle faster speeds, but that the band width of the information highway connecting us to the rest of internet world is too small to allow us tp subscribe to faster speeds.

On 7/2/2016 at 5:54 AM, Al Berca said:

We should always help those less fortunate than ourselves.

But, it seems that it is not going to get done any other way.

What is amazing is that Carlos Slim wants a grant from us. Why are the Telmex clowns not agreeing, in contract, that the grant gives you internet until the per household investment is paid back in service? Then it is not a grant. It is prepaid service.

9 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

There is a whole other very lengthy thread about Ilox installing fibre...

CG. The same person who was touting Ilox is now touting Telmex. There would seem to be a very personal interest there. Not many of us live in Rancho D’Oro or Las Salvias compared to the 316 people he says have signed up for Ilox, so why the sudden turn to Telmex?
Tom, would you like to explain your change of heart regarding Ilox and indicate what you will do about Ilox if Telmex improves the internet in your area.

Archived