Chapala.com Webboard

Renewing Seguro Popular policy

None of the above. Guadalajara or Ocotlan. Oops. Ignore this. Multitasking- posted in the wrong place.

We can renew it for you in Chapala, just need old papers, passport, immigration document and utility bill and within a few days you are all done. 

1 hour ago, johanson said:

Check your Jalisco drivers license. It gives the start and end date. mine shows that my "CHOFER" license is good for four years.

The question was renewing Seguro Popular. Each membership is for 3 years. 

3 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Amazing misinformation on this Forum..thank goodness for the "real" (Spencer,Sonia) experts sharing their time and talents

You're right, lakeside7.  Even AFTER your post, people were still posting the wrong information.  Please everyone, stop and read the original post BEFORE you comment.  Saves a lot of confusion.

We have signed people up and done renewals at the Chapala office.  In Guadalajara the office is on Chapultepec.  We havent tried Joco as we prefer to walk 3 blocks to the Chapala office to get things done. 

So Spencer, we live in Joco and have Seguro Popular issued in Joco, will it still be valid if we have you renew it for us in Chapala?  If it is possible, do you mind me asking what you would charge per person.  You can PM me if you prefer not to post the info in public.

Let me ask tomorrow if we can renew Joco people, I ma not directly involved so will need to ask my people who are.

22 hours ago, J.Miller said:

So Spencer, we live in Joco and have Seguro Popular issued in Joco, will it still be valid if we have you renew it for us in Chapala?  If it is possible, do you mind me asking what you would charge per person.  You can PM me if you prefer not to post the info in public.

I know people who lived in Joco and signed up in Chapala before the new Joco hospital and clinic were built. They didn't like the previous SP Joco employee who signed them up and did it wrong. SP is federal. You should be allowed to sign up or renew it anywhere.

Just want to confirm that this post is about renewing Seguro Popular???  I believe it is. I just renewed my policy in Joco in their new building near the police station on Donato Guerra Pte., NOT THE new HOSPITAL.  There was no line and there was no waiting. Go to the second window on the left and there is a heavy set man seated behind the window. If you smile at him, he will smile back. It took me 10 minutes and done. My neighbor renewed his the following day and he too had no wait. You may not even have to speak Spanish.  Items to bring are; Your Seguro Popular Policy and one copy of each of Your Temporary or permanent resident card, utility bill, and your CURP document. That is all. There is no fee, although he really likes to eat so, a few pesos for a taco will not be turned down. They did not ask for a passport. Good luck!!

In September last year (2015) I signed up for SP in Chapala. My spanish-speaking friend helped me, especially to see that I could be considered "head of the household" and therefore my husband, who was too sick to come in, did not have to appear. I just brought his IDs. All went smoothly and it took no time at all.

Mainecoons and others: My friend called the Chapala clinic ahead of time and a very helpful person told her the best times to come in to sign up, when they were least crowded.

Our contract is for three years, as had always been the case.  However,  shortly after, SP announced that new or renewed contracts were now for only a year. I do not see that being pointed out on this thread. (Excuse me if I missed it.)

Lexy

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

We're looking at this as a backup as well.  Why do some think it is better to go to Joco versus much more convenient Chapala?

If a couple are signing up for the first time is there a better day and time of day to go in?

Thanks.

The man who signs you up at the Joco hospital is rarely busy. When I was at the SP clinic next to the Joco police department, in an hour no one ever tried to sign up. The employee had nothing to do.

It depends on time. Driving time and waiting time in Chapala might be equal to the time it takes to drive to Joco.

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

We're looking at this as a backup as well.  Why do some think it is better to go to Joco versus much more convenient Chapala?

If a couple are signing up for the first time is there a better day and time of day to go in?

Thanks.

I thought you couldn't have private insurance with Seguro Popular???

Archived