Chapala.com Webboard

Mercado Libre is getting more User Friendly!

Today we ordered something off of Mercado Libre Mexico, and it was the easiest transaction we have ever made with them.  It appears to be getting much much more user friendly, possibly due to the new competition with the arrival of Amazon Mexico.  It used to be kind of a nightmare to use.  You would find an item you want to  buy, you would click comprar or buy.  Then you would have to wait a day or so until the vender got around to answering your email.  You make contact with the vender, tell him once again exactly what you are purchasing and ask him/her what it will cost to ship it to you.  I know you would always immediately get an automatic email from Mercado Libre with all your information, name and address, and it would tell you when and how to deposit the money, of course it was always wrong...........you would have to wait to make contact with the vender first, and then wait till he gives you his bank account information that would usually differ with the first automatic email that was sent to you from Mercado Libre.  You would have to give him/her once again all your information like name and address and exactly what you are ordering and what color you want it to be in.  You would run down to Oxxo or Banamex or Bancomer and make the deposit into his/her account, then they would ask you to scan the receipt and email it to them as proof of payment.  Then sometimes they would ask for your address and name again.  Then sometime that week hopefully they would drop your package off at the estafeta or any given courier company.  And if something goes wrong, getting your money back was a long excruciating process and much arguing with the vender and maybe after a month or two, Mercado Libre might intervene and give you credit to buy something else of equal value in the future.

Well, now it seems to be much easier to use.  You find an item you want to purchase, you may easily ask a question to the vender in the question box below.  After you are sure you want to buy it, there is a new shipping calculator that will tell you how much it will cost to ship to your zip code or codigo postal, it should already have your personal information in the system.  You click on comprar or buy, a drop down box allows you to add shipping to it and totals it up, it gives you several ways to pay by credit or debit card or the old fashion way of making a deposit into their banking account by way of Oxxo or Banamex or several other banks.  (I prefer that option the best, less headache then dealing with credit cards online in Mexico).   You immediately get an email and they tell you how much to pay and where, you go and pay, and about an hour later we got an email saying pay was received.  And two hours later we got an email saying that the package was on the way and it gave us our tracking number and they end the letter with We at Mercado Shipping hope you enjoy your product!  We never even had to make contact with the vender or anything or even scan and send them a copy of the receipt from the bank.  Mercado Libre also claims that their return policy or money back policy is better and more confiable now, what ever that means...........ha...ha.......and I hope we never have to find out about that one....

But the real test will be if and when the object we purchased arrives.  I'll get back with you guys on that one later!

Of course much of what I described above as the new way of ordering has been in place for a good while now, but it didn't always work and certainly wasn't very accurate, you would always have to make contact with the vender and would get different information like shipping fees and their account number, etc.  Now the system seems to be working correctly, so far.  And it is easy to use.  Of course you need to know some basic Spanish words like comprar, direccion, pago or pagar, costo del envio, etc.  Good Luck!

Yes, I realize that confiable means trustworthy in English, I can read Spanish about as well as I can read English.  I guess I was just trying to be sarcastic because when a company here (or anywhere mind you) claims to be trustworthy that should be taken with a grain of salt.  We have ordered quite a few items from ML over the years.  Nearly all of our purchases were successful, but I can't say they were all easy and simple experiences.  Only one time we had problems with the seller where we never eventually received our purchase item and we complained in writing to ML and they told us to contact the seller and go through him with our complaints.  Finally, after about 2 months of having our problemita unresolved, ML intervened and gave us credit for a future purchase for to be used on the Mercado Libre website.  But credit is not the same as money back in my opinion.  They state that they do money back now and claim they are confiable.  But time will be the judge! 

Update!!!!  :

Yesterday we ordered a plastic children's activity table for our 4 year old from the Step 2 Company on Mercado Libre.  Around 1:00pm we placed our order, around 2:00pm we went and paid at Banamex.  By 4:00pm we received an email saying our order was in the mail.  Today at 12:00pm (which is the very next day) we received our order from the DHL courier company.  We all were very surprised and delighted to get our package the very next day!  I guess that just goes to show that with a little competition (like probably from Amazon Mexico) services can and will improve to be competitive.

13 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Today we ordered something off of Mercado Libre Mexico, and it was the easiest transaction we have ever made with them.  It appears to be getting much much more user friendly, possibly due to the new competition with the arrival of Amazon Mexico.  It used to be kind of a nightmare to use.  You would find an item you want to  buy, you would click comprar or buy.  Then you would have to wait a day or so until the vender got around to answering your email.  You make contact with the vender, tell him once again exactly what you are purchasing and ask him/her what it will cost to ship it to you.  I know you would always immediately get an automatic email from Mercado Libre with all your information, name and address, and it would tell you when and how to deposit the money, of course it was always wrong...........you would have to wait to make contact with the vender first, and then wait till he gives you his bank account information that would usually differ with the first automatic email that was sent to you from Mercado Libre.  You would have to give him/her once again all your information like name and address and exactly what you are ordering and what color you want it to be in.  You would run down to Oxxo or Banamex or Bancomer and make the deposit into his/her account, then they would ask you to scan the receipt and email it to them as proof of payment.  Then sometimes they would ask for your address and name again.  Then sometime that week hopefully they would drop your package off at the estafeta or any given courier company.  And if something goes wrong, getting your money back was a long excruciating process and much arguing with the vender and maybe after a month or two, Mercado Libre might intervene and give you credit to buy something else of equal value in the future.

Well, now it seems to be much easier to use.  You find an item you want to purchase, you may easily ask a question to the vender in the question box below.  After you are sure you want to buy it, there is a new shipping calculator that will tell you how much it will cost to ship to your zip code or codigo postal, it should already have your personal information in the system.  You click on comprar or buy, a drop down box allows you to add shipping to it and totals it up, it gives you several ways to pay by credit or debit card or the old fashion way of making a deposit into their banking account by way of Oxxo or Banamex or several other banks.  (I prefer that option the best, less headache then dealing with credit cards online in Mexico).   You immediately get an email and they tell you how much to pay and where, you go and pay, and about an hour later we got an email saying pay was received.  And two hours later we got an email saying that the package was on the way and it gave us our tracking number and they end the letter with We at Mercado Shipping hope you enjoy your product!  We never even had to make contact with the vender or anything or even scan and send them a copy of the receipt from the bank.  Mercado Libre also claims that their return policy or money back policy is better and more confiable now, what ever that means...........ha...ha.......and I hope we never have to find out about that one....

But the real test will be if and when the object we purchased arrives.  I'll get back with you guys on that one later!

Of course much of what I described above as the new way of ordering has been in place for a good while now, but it didn't always work and certainly wasn't very accurate, you would always have to make contact with the vender and would get different information like shipping fees and their account number, etc.  Now the system seems to be working correctly, so far.  And it is easy to use.  Of course you need to know some basic Spanish words like comprar, direccion, pago or pagar, costo del envio, etc.  Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just wanted to say that we just made a second purchase with Mercado Libre, vacuum cleaner bags, something we have not been able to find here anywhere.  I made the purchase about an hour ago, went across the street to seven eleven to pay in cash, a few minutes later they sent me an email saying they received the money and that my order was in the mail and that I will receive it tomorrow.  So, the process has definitely been simplified and improved, now it is a breeze to use and seems to be real fast.  Now there is no having to deal with the seller, just order it, pay for it, and wait for it to arrive in a day or two.  So easy!!  Mercado Libre is becoming an indispensable blessing to life down here, for purchasing things you don't see or can't find in the local stores here in the Chapala area; making it unnecessary to run to Guadalajara for every little thing.

Archived