Chapala.com Webboard

Exterior Paint, Who has the best quality??

I researched this subject extensively and even found an independent Mexican review on the internet that compared all the major paint brands available in Mexico and the winner for durability hands down was the top of the line Berel acrylic paint.  Then I searched out a family owned for 40 years, Berel paint store in Guadalajara.  The old timer told me that of course he agreed, that his brand is the very best available but the product is only as good as the procedure used to apply it and he had the very best recipe for application as well.  This is for both already painted walls and bare new ones.  Here it is:

Scrape, steal brush, pressure wash walls to remove all dirt and loose paint, let dry.

Prep walls by washing with UNDILUTED BLEACH.

Brush walls with UNDILUTED MURIATIC ACID, let dry.

Repeat wash/rinse of walls with UNDILUTED BEACH.

Then 2 coats of Berel primer coat (diluted as recommended).

Finally 2 coast of Berel Acrylic paint (diluted as recommended).

Old timer told me I could get up to 20 years out of this paint job

I was horrified by the amount of bleach and acid I used and had to buy everyone's stock out numerous times including Bodega's, Soriana's and Walmart's.  Both would evaporate before hitting the ground.  The acid really bubbled in areas where salitre had started.

It's been 4 years and the paint still looks new.  It was Maincoons who turned me onto the Berel.  Like usual, HE WAS RIGHT!

By the way, that independent review rated Sherwin Williams as the worst performer. 

Good luck, especially gathering up all the bleach you will need!

PS Make sure your applications of bleach and muriatic acid are dry and well evaporated between one another.  The fumes from mixing bleach and muriatic acid are poisonous and can be fatal to the painter!

For interior walls, I used Polyprisa Satinado. Has a nice soft sheen and all my interior walls got one coat of 5/1 sealer and 2 coats of UNDILUTED paint and still look as good as the day I painted them 8 years ago (apart from the blood spots from the gecko-insect battles). Outside walls we mixed powdered color into the plaster- one coat of clear sealer and I never have to paint (I just applied another coat of sealer last year-after 7 years). This color in the plaster method is slightly more labor intensive, as the ratio of sand/mortar/water/color has to be the same in each batch. And different brands or lots of cement and mortar can vary in color. But I didn't mind some color variation, as long as the abiniles knew how to blend from one batch to the other, not stopping in a straight line. The color fades a bit over time, but ends up looking like an old Tuscan wall.

Archived