Chapala.com Webboard

Great cell phone deal

1 hour ago, Pogo said:

I am VERY confused by all this information. I will be going up to the states in June. Usually what I do is buy an ATT sim card there to use for the duration of my stay. However, I would be much more pleased with using a Telcel deal such as Rony suggested. However, I have several questions; if anyone can answer them simply and directly, I would be VERY pleased. 

Does the Paquete 100 deal require you to sign a contract? If not, how exactly does one go about getting the deal?  No Contract.  Go to a Telcel store and ask for the plan.  They will have brochures on the desk.

Does the Paquete 100 deal require you to get a new sim card?  NO

Does the Paquete 100 deal allow you to make calls to Mexico as well as the U.S. and Canada when you are in the U.S?

I do not remember if I used my telcel phone to call a US number, but I suspect it will work.  I only called Mexico when I was there.

How do you renew or recharge your phone with this Paquete 100 deal if you are in the U.S?

I went to a Mexican grocery store in the barrio in San Marcos, Texas and found a cell kiosk that did the deal after my 30 days ran out when I was up north, cost was 12 USD or about 180 MXN because of a service fee of the vender.

is there a Paquete 200 deal? If so, how exactly do you get that deal?  Yes, just ask for it. You will get more data with that plan.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, simpsca said:

Do you have to go to telcel to be converted to the unlimited plan? Or can you do it over the phone?

Yes you need to go there to sign up. I have a 199p plan per month. It is on a contract. Had to show the usual docs to get it...utility bill & ID.

22 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I'm wondering how this would work if one uses the TelCel phone in the U.S.  Right now we have a separate AT&T plan and sim chip for when we go up there but it would be great if this wasn't necessary.  The TelCel phone "tunes" to TMobile when I'm up there but charges something like 20 cents per minute for usage.

I use my TelCel all the time in the States now. Have the 199p per month package. It's GREAT! I can make calls while in the States in the US, Canada & Mexico. I also have data on my phone in the US with this plan. The ONLY negative is if someone in the US wants to call me it is an international call. If you have an iPhone like I have and so does the other person they can IM you to call them, then you call them. Love it for the price.

18 hours ago, tomgates said:

The AT&T plan is a good one, save for one thing. The Mex cell number they give you, while you can use it here or in the US, friends in the US have to have international phone service activated with their service provider or they can't call you. 

If you both have iPhones they can Instant Message you to call them

Joyfull- what you are talking about is not the plan that Rony, the OP posted, and is twice as expensive as the "paquete 100" or sin limite. What he is talking about does not require signing up at any office- it is pay-as-you-go. Just go to OXO, or wherever you buy cell phone time, pay the 100 pesos to your number, then text the appropriate code name to 5050. In my case, I buy 50p. worth (lasts for 2 weeks) and text SL50 to phone number 5050. I quickly get a msg back from tecel saying my plan has taken effect.

4 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Joyfull- what you are talking about is not the plan that Rony, the OP posted, and is twice as expensive as the "paquete 100" or sin limite. What he is talking about does not require signing up at any office- it is pay-as-you-go. Just go to OXO, or wherever you buy cell phone time, pay the 100 pesos to your number, then text the appropriate code name to 5050. In my case, I buy 50p. worth (lasts for 2 weeks) and text SL50 to phone number 5050. I quickly get a msg back from tecel saying my plan has taken effect.

That's right, no signing up, no obligations, super easy....   sending this from the Guadalajara bus, on the paquete 100 plan.  Gustavo, from the cell phone store, across from the Chapala bus station, sold me the plan, in a matter of seconds.  He is well informed, helpful and speaks some English. Every time you pay 100 pesos, you are good for 30 days.

2 hours ago, Lulugirl said:

Can you pay for more than one month at a time?

Good question.  I will ask Gustavo the next time I recharge (in about 10 days or so).

You don't actually have to remember to buy minutes- and you're not buying minutes anyway, because you have unlimited minutes, you are buying the package which is good for a certain time period. Telcel is real good at sending you a message when your time is running out- so good, in fact, that they send the message about 3 days before it actually runs out, which I think is another sneaky Telcel scam, because then you'll go put more $ on when in fact you still have time left. Their message just says to recharge in order to keep the same rate- they don't say when it runs out, so I just make sure not to delete the message they send when I actually do pay, so I know the actual date it runs out.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 7:17 PM, Pogo said:

Does the Paquete 100 deal require you to sign a contract? If not, how exactly does one go about getting the deal?

no contract. Go to Telcel and they can help you, or text SL100 to 5050.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 7:17 PM, Pogo said:

Does the Paquete 100 deal require you to get a new sim card?

no

Does the Paquete 100 deal allow you to make calls to Mexico as well as the U.S. and Canada when you are in the U.S?

yes

How do you renew or recharge your phone with this Paquete 100 deal if you are in the U.S?

I have it set up to automatically renew the SL100 every 30 days. I put the $ on before I left Mexico. But I only go for a week or 2.

is there a Paquete 200 deal? If so, how exactly do you get that deal?

the only advantage of the SL200 is more data, same calling and text deal. Look at Telcel.com for details

Also, when I was in Texas, to call a US # I just dialed it like I had a US phone, area code and #.

Calling Mexico needed the 011521 then the cell number or 01152 and the land line number.

Texting to a US, Mexican or Canadian number is just the cell number (no prefix needed)

I went to Plaza Laguna a couple of months ago and they told me there was no such plan as the $100p plan so they said the lowest one was $200p so we went with that one cause it still saves us a bunch of money.

51 minutes ago, hensley said:

I went to Plaza Laguna a couple of months ago and they told me there was no such plan as the $100p plan so they said the lowest one was $200p so we went with that one cause it still saves us a bunch of money.

They told you wrong...

2 hours ago, El Cartero said:

So the 100 pesos package is good for 25 days and I can buy it at the little phone place near el torito, right?

30 days.  I guess that most Telcel stores have it. Ask for "el paquete 100".

I was at the TelCel office in the Laguna Plaza yesterday to get this plan for my husband.  The plan has changed.  It is now $100 pesos for 25 days and $150 pesos for 30 days. Once you have completed the number of days, you have to return to the office and pay for it again.  It does not automatically renew.

Valerie :)

57 minutes ago, thevalerieleigh said:

I was at the TelCel office in the Laguna Plaza yesterday to get this plan for my husband.  The plan has changed.  It is now $100 pesos for 25 days and $150 pesos for 30 days. Once you have completed the number of days, you have to return to the office and pay for it again.  It does not automatically renew.

Valerie :)

You are right, Val.  I just saw it on their website.

There are two ways to take advantage of this plan. You can subscribe to a monthly plan where you show all your documents to qualify and are charged monthly on your credit card. Or if you use Amigas cards or recharge at a Telcel store or most supermarkets & farmacias you can add time to your phone, as much as you want. And according to the plan you choose, Telcel will just take the payment out of your balance. I signed up by dialing *264 - instructions are in Spanish. If you want to join the new Amigas plan press 7, and then she will read you a list of plans - 50 pesos, 100, 150, etc. and tell you what number to press. It happens automatically. If you have any problems you can go to a Telcel store (not the one at Plaza Interlago - this store is not for the charge as you go plans).

But you now get a limited amount of internet according to the cost of the plan you have chosen.

Really?  Go every month instead of a cheap plan which costs the same or less?

Brilliant answer Simpsca, now if u could do the same for ATT I could make a descion.   Went to Telmex but was told i  had to wait 20 minutes to see a certain person.  So i trundled over to AT&T which was just out telmex's back door.   They had the same plan as paquet 100 but monthy, not 25 days, for 100 pesos which can be paid at OXXO.   He said while in the US a person in the US could phone me at no cost since it was ATT.  A decided advantage over Telmex.   At least that's how it appeared to me, what am I missing?

Archived