Chapala.com Webboard

Vehicle Smog Inspection

To Natash, who chose to personally attack me.

Shame on you. My cars are probably cleaner than yours. And as to recycling What in God's name has that got to do with auto emissions??

You know nothing about me, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF. 

TO THE MODERATOR i THOUGHT PERSONAL ATTACKS GOT PEOPLE BANNED?????????????????????????????????

What I was saying was that if a traffic officer wants to chat with  me regarding my foreign plated vehicle not having a sticker I am not afraid. Ant that any expat with a foreign registration should not be afraid. 

Foreign plated (ie US and Canada) vehicles meet much more stringent emissions and safety standards than vehicles manufactured for sale under the European standard which are sold in Mexico. Thus our foreign cars are cleaner!  Also that majority of foreign plated vehicles are newer and therefore are running very clean.  Natasha you are probably not aware that the USA requirements require a passenger car sold meet all emission standards for 50,000 miles??? And depending on the state sold 100,000 miles?

On 4/24/2016 at 1:13 PM, bontepar said:

You do not need a smog test in Mexico for US plated cars, I suggest you get South Dakota plates, you do not need to be a resident of South Dakota, you only need a US social security number and BEST of all South Dakota does not require a smog test..for more info call any DMV of South Dakota and The treasurer of any county, the treasurer is the one that issues plates and Title

Not any county, only one is doing this, not quite legal.

On 4/25/2016 at 10:34 PM, Mainecoons said:

Respectfully, it is you who do not know the law on this.  The six month's standard applies to all cars in Jalisco.  The fact they haven't done much about it doesn't mean anything as non enforcement of laws is pretty much SOP here.

Until it isn't.  Now personally speaking I'm skeptical that Jalisco, without doubt one of the most corrupt and incompetent state governments in Mexico is going to get serious about this thing but if they do, it is probably not worth the hassle when you can run over to Chapala once per year and get a sticker fast and cheap.

I drove into Guad on Wednesday and the many transitos were very busy giving out tickets, checking the windshields for the stickers.

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2016 at 10:15 AM, Mainecoons said:

That is correct.  Temporary importation is 6 months or less.

You are new here hence have not been around for the previous discussions and the reports of people being stopped and fined if the dates on their importation papers were longer than 6 months.  Spencer, I believe, has actually been involved in dealing with some of these problems.

However if you want to go without the sticker and drive it around GDL with reports of enforcement being cranked up go right ahead.

That is incorrect, Your temporary import permit can be good for up to 4 years if you are a temporary resident.

Archived