Chapala.com Webboard

Canadian non resident driver license and registration

Plumeau1

Hi everyone,

This question I guess would be more suited for Canadian non-resident with a temporal visa and 

a Canadian plated vehicle here at Lakeside.

when I return into Mexico it will probably be with a temporal visa, at that time,

the only attachment back in Canada as a retiree will be my non-resident bank account at Scotia

what happens with your Canadian driver license and vehicle registration when it expires here

in Mexico?

Thank you!!!

Ontario requires you to have an address in the province in order to hold an Ontario driver's licence.  I don't know about the other provinces. You might want to consider renewing your licence before you return to Mexico. As for the vehicle registration, some years ago it was OK to drive a foreign plated vehicle even though the registration had expired, if you are not a "permanente".  Spencer who is a lawyer with an office in Chapala can probably provide you with more accurate information, and whether you can get a Jalisco drivers licence if you are not a permanente. My recollection is that you cannot. 

Canadian non-resident (as deemed by Revenue  Canada)  technically is not to have a provincial driver's license. Obtain a Jalisco driver's license. You can let registration expire. It is hard to keep an active registration unless you also have car insurance in Canada and depending on age of vehicle a province emissions test may become an issue.

Buen Fin

Sonia

It depends on your objectives.   remaining temporal is one thing and becoming a "non-resident" of Canada another.   If the latter see the best tax accountant in Canada you can find.  If the former decide if you want to take your car out every 6 months and deal with other Mexican requirements.   You will probably conclude get a driver's license here, scrap the Canadian car,if you have long term plans, and get a Jalisco plated.

No matter what, the Canadian car will eventually have to leave Mexico within 4 years. How will you get it back to Canada if it is no longer registered or insured for the US and Canada?  Even Jalisco requires that it be current somewhere.

Not an answer to your question, but FYI, if your vehicle is registered in British Columbia, but it stays here in Mexico, or at least part of the year, ask ICBC to put you in rate class 919. This will save you a lot as you won't be paying for insurance coverage in Canada while you are here with your vehicle, but you will maintain your registration. When you are ready to drive to Canada, phone them and ask for your normal insurance coverage to be reinstated and pay with credit card.

Archived