Chapala.com Webboard

Gathering Telmex Internet Speed Comparisons

OK something is going on locally with both Telecable and Telmex. I have both services.      What was a poor slow but reliable service from Telmex is suddenly 3 down. My Telecable which has been OK at the best of times has suddenly  become more stable and fast rather than on and off.  What I am saying is I think both services hold some hope for the future.

However I doubt if any of the uber fast speeds are going to be local unless some big fat fiber has been run which I don't think is true. Cable (Telecable/Megacable/Izzi) is running a new thick cable service but is not hooked up locally for me but has been for some.  

I am going to see if I can get 10 now from Telmex. Obviously in West Ajijic something has changed for telmex and long phone wires. Before I could only test to two down. I will see what I can get now by asking Mexico City to test my line now. 

Looks like for some of us things are changing if Computer Guys and our data is right.  About time!!  I get tired of switching back and forth from both services and will dump Telecable if I can get an honest 10 from Telmex now unless the new Telecable thick cable buys me something.  I use to be happy with Telmex DSL at 5 down. Telmex DSL running at 10 down would make me extremely happy. I just want some bandwidth for watching ball games in HD. Somebody must want my money. In Seattle area my Mom gets 60 down in her house without Fiber on her old coax cable setup.  I just want an honest ten down.

If you can afford it I suggest you get both Telmex DSL (consider distance from switch which is an issue related to speed) and Telcable Cable coax Internet service.  One usually works. Right now the cable is working fine but......

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're in Upper Ajijic near the corner of Cardenas & Zapata.  Just got 10.66 Down and .960 Up with TelMex.  Gotta say, it seems a LOT slower than that when I'm online and trying to watch videos, though.

Valerie

17 hours ago, Fred C. Dobbs said:

The eternal optimist in me (Ha!) is hoping that Telmex is investigating the G.fast standard which "lets copper telephone wires compete with fiber... opening the way for affordable, interoperable equipment running at up to 1Gbps." This is, of course, a controlled lab result. But field tests have been impressive in their own right. Consult with Sr. Google for more info.

Now, the performance decreases with distance, and there are essential equipment upgrades... but it also doesn't require fiber to be run all over the place for big bucks. The copper is already there...

If you read the G fast stuff, it is really better suited to large buildings since the speeds fall off pretty quickly after 300 meters.  It would be great for apartments, malls etc.  My house is between 2000-3000 meters from the D Slam card.  However, it is improving daily.

I think both services are improving to try to hold business.

A saleswoman that sold Avon products told me "One beautiful woman moves into an apartment complex and my sales will triple".  When one of the services improves, the other has to improve or lose business.  For years Telmex just shrugged their shoulders over slow speed.  Telecable started stringing new lines and suddenly Telmex has 10MB service.  

I no longer have internet in my house in Chapala (barrio, at the top of Lazaro Cardenas - you take that street across from Soriana by the chicken grilling place and go all the way up to the top of the hill) that got 8 MB down and .5 up. That was all I paid for as it was sufficient for that house. $300 pesos per mo., but had to have TV and the basic package was $300 pesos per month (shared with the landlord who paid $200 of it.) The modem did not send out wi-fi.

On 3/26/2016 at 0:51 PM, ComputerGuy said:

There are currently three new types: Huawei, Technicolor and Arcadyan (which is actually a Mexicon distributor of Huawei). They all have VOIP ports now, with no indication of support for that technology from Telmex.

There does not seem to be a manufacturer name on my new modem, but does say "Made in China." The DSL port is a POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) jack, which I assume will be used to just plug in a regular phone enabling VOIP on regular phones in the future using the Internet Service Provider's own VOIP service if they ever provide such a service.

I understand the USB port is for household (wireless) access to an external hard drive with movies, music, etc., but have not tried it nor am I sure that this is the intended purpose.

While doing a cursory review on these topics I also ran across a pretty good article (from Vonage) about wiring and turning you entire house VOIP at http://www.voipmyhouse.com/

Interesting observation in the article, " As of early 2014, 38% of homes no longer have POTS land lines. They have switched to VoIP, or use only a cell phone. source "

• 3 weeks later...

As of last April 15, I am still getting scattershot reports of brief outages and fluctuating speeds from some people, so the upgrade work continues. Meantime, I've gathered most of the results from this thread and my own records. Top speeds are hitting 20, lowest are about 1mbit down. The good news is, a huge number of people now are getting 5 or better, and a growing number are getting between that and 10. The bad news is that some areas, like Chapala Haciendas, are not going to see improvements without infrastructure upgrades.

Just yesterday, one household was getting 10.99mbits down, and paying $589. Since the $389 price plan from Telmex now provides up to 10, I advised her to call support in Mexico City and have her monthly fee reduced, while ensuring they continue to provide that speed.

2016 Telmex Speeds.jpg

Thank God I'm moving to lower Riberas in the middle of May. Usually, I can flip back and forth between Telmex and Telecable when ONE of them is not working. Lately, BOTH have had "limited" service.

Come the middle of May, I hope, I ain't gonna whine no more no more, I ain't gonna whine no more.

1.85 Down and .16 Up is the result of a long phone call from Mexico City where the technician made several changes.  Since this is Chapala Haciendas, improvement won't come until the new server comes online.  It's already 1 1/2 years beyond the target date.  There are times during the day when it takes a dozen or more reloads to get an application to come up.  

Sadly for Chapala Haciendas, they have been promising that new "server" for several years, when in reality the phone line infrastructure has to be completely upgraded in the area before any speed improvement will be seen. One example of this actually happening is Vista del Lago, where the community was incredibly vocal in their complaints and requests, and now they have some of the best speeds around.

Just now, jrm30655 said:

Sometime around midnight last night, my router went from 6 to 9 down.  Up stayed at 740

Looks like it actually will do it also

Upper Villa Nova is the location.  In such shock, I forgot that

I was in Vista del Lago yesterday, and one client's speed has certainly jumped just this week, but to about 5.5 down, not that impressive 10.5. He has a new modem, and had just received a service visit from TelMex.

I'll be delivering a laptop with a new install of Windows 7 today, so it is fully optimized, to Chapala Haciendas. At my home office, Internet speeds are excellent using the laptop. At his house, the modem has been reset, and whatever speed I test will be the top speed most people can expect there. I don't imagine it will increase much above the 1.2 or so that he was getting before.

EDIT: Yesterday (April 22, 2016) the speed was at 2.4Mbits down. This is twice what he was getting two days earlier, and the top speed I have ever recorded in Ch. Haciendas/Brisas. Achieving this level had nothing to do with TelMex: resetting the modem and refreshing the computer to a stable operating level was all it took. Many, many people assume that poor speeds are TelMex's fault, but it has been my experience over the years that 90% of the time, poor speeds can be fixed in the same manner as this fellow's.

The latest reading ever since Telmex went out of service for the day last week in R de Oor has actually gotten worse!

My reading per a previous post pre-outage was

upload 670 KBPS

Download 5.35 Mbps

I just took a new read using speedo.me and got

270 Kbps Up

2.71Mbps down      This is NOT going in the right direction!

Semalu, try a factory reset: hold a pen or paper clip in the tiny Reset hold on the back of the modem until the lights flash and go out, about 30-40 seconds. This is the first step in repairing modem issues caused by power outages and other line problems.

Can't find any mention here of performance levels in San Juan Cosala, including the Racquet Club (though my interest is in service about a mile west of that).  There is an internet salon on Carr 23 in SJC, and evidence that 'Ciber' @ 10mbs (at least at one time) was available near 23.  Street level Google images show what appear to be WiMax or similar masts up the hill from 23 - any thoughts?  Thanks!

Archived