Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel plan - unlimited Mexico/USA/Canada

ARIBOY

15 hours ago, La-de-di said:

People can't call you on your Mexican cell phone when you are in the US but can they text you? 

I think they can if they have a service plan that allows them to text a Mexican cell phone.

Just to be clear, those people in the US, on a US plan cannot call my Mexican phone (without an extra charge) unless they have a provider who has a plan that allows it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voxox.com is a service that will assign you a US phone number and you can call forward that number to your Mexican cell phone number and answer the call anywhere in the world on your Mexican cell phone. Been using it for a couple of years and only a few hickups. Your friends can also text to that number.

The US number changes if you don't use the service often enough, you can buy a virtual number for $20 per year and that number never changes.

Cost for the call forwarding to the Mexican cell phone is about 3 cents per minute.

They also have a VOIP app so you can make calls over WIFI at very low cost.

For those of you who have been interested in the 199ps plan and what you have to do to make it work right, I just found out something on text messaging that I wanted to share.

As I said earlier, when in the US trying to call US number all you have to do is use the 10 digit number, no international access or country code.

BUT, when you are in the US and you are trying to send a text message to a US phone, you DO have to use the international access and country codes.

Don't ask me why, that's just the way it is.  The way I am compensating for all this is to have multiple phone numbers in my contacts, 1 with the international access code and country code and another with just the 10 digit number. 

Thought you might want to know.

• 8 months later...
On 3/22/2016 at 10:04 PM, RickS said:

I'm confused.... you mentioned Nettalk and NetConnect.com. I went to NetConnect.com and it says that that Domain name is for sale. I went to NetTalk and it looks like a home VOIP service (with not very good reviews).

What am I missing?

Well I have had nettalk for 5 years with no problems.  Its only 29.95 per year and I buy four years at a time.  We bought one for our son who travels for a living.  Yes Vontage is a better product but it is much much more expensive.  Just want to point out I am a very happy nettalk customer.

On 3/22/2016 at 10:04 PM, RickS said:

Is anyone using the Ooma system? Today only Amazon has it for a little over $57 US so I jumped on it. You only pay any taxes and fees the US Telcom provider in your area code levies. Should be under $5 anywhere per month and is the top rated VOIP system on Amazon. You can port your existing number but they charge you $40 for that or just pick a new number for free. We are paying just over $15/mo. including taxes and fees now with ITP which is less than the Vonage but this should have a quick payback even with the $40 charge.

On 3/22/2016 at 11:41 PM, bezerk said:

Keep in mind that facebook, twitter and whats app are only free in Mexico, not US. Si in US you would be using your data for those.  Just saying.

Paid nothing for facebook chats, calls, fotos, videos while in USA. Is included in any  sin fronteras Telcel plan up to the plans limit.

On 3/23/2016 at 5:28 PM, Gilligan said:

For those of you who have been interested in the 199ps plan and what you have to do to make it work right, I just found out something on text messaging that I wanted to share.

As I said earlier, when in the US trying to call US number all you have to do is use the 10 digit number, no international access or country code.

BUT, when you are in the US and you are trying to send a text message to a US phone, you DO have to use the international access and country codes.

Don't ask me why, that's just the way it is.  The way I am compensating for all this is to have multiple phone numbers in my contacts, 1 with the international access code and country code and another with just the 10 digit number. 

Thought you might want to know.

If the number is in your contacts list all you have to do is hit send. No matter where it is.

• 7 months later...

I was just in Canada with the TelCel 200p "Sin Límite" data plan, that everyone promises unlimited calls from and to Canada and the U.S. and Mexico. Nope.

There is another TelCel "Sin Límite" plan for which you must specifically sign up, for travel, or you won't be calling in Canada or out of Canada. You will instead get a message from TelCel America, in Spanish, telling you to sign up. Doesn't matter how you dial, which country numbers, extensions, area codes, anything... there is no calling out. However, WhatsApp worked fine using the data (as opposed to using WiFi).

16 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I was just in Canada with the TelCel 200p "Sin Límite" data plan, that everyone promises unlimited calls from and to Canada and the U.S. and Mexico. Nope.

There is another TelCel "Sin Límite" plan for which you must specifically sign up, for travel, or you won't be calling in Canada or out of Canada. You will instead get a message from TelCel America, in Spanish, telling you to sign up. Doesn't matter how you dial, which country numbers, extensions, area codes, anything... there is no calling out. However, WhatsApp worked fine using the data (as opposed to using WiFi).

That's strange. I am in Canada now and have been using my 150p SIN LIMITES  regular plan since I got here, no problem. Same plan as I use in Mexico- pay at OXO, then text SL150 to 5050. Have been able to call Canadian #s and text while here, no special travel plan, as well as calling Mexico.

On 7/29/2017 at 10:45 AM, mudgirl said:

That's strange. I am in Canada now and have been using my 150p SIN LIMITES  regular plan since I got here, no problem. Same plan as I use in Mexico- pay at OXO, then text SL150 to 5050. Have been able to call Canadian #s and text while here, no special travel plan, as well as calling Mexico.

Hi, mudgirl.  I'm on the 150p Sin Limite plan as well, but had to get help last month at Telcel in the Laguna mall when I renewed.  So what you are saying is that I can just go into an Oxxo, put 150 pesos on my phone on the last day of the plan,  call 5050 and text SL150 when prompted?  Or is the entire thing a text?  I'd like to be "in the know" next month to save time at the big Telcel.  Thanks so much.

17 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I'm thinking my phone is locked?

ComputerGuy, was your Roaming on?  We were having problems at first when we went up to Colorado in June.  Once we turned on Roaming and made sure Carrier was toggled to "Automatic" everything worked just fine (it chose AT&T at one point, and then stuck with T-Mobile).  I seem to remember that after I made those two changes, I restarted my phone and all was well.  And we were not in a major metropolitan area.  Good luck next time.

On 8/1/2017 at 3:04 PM, Canyon Wren said:

Hi, mudgirl.  I'm on the 150p Sin Limite plan as well, but had to get help last month at Telcel in the Laguna mall when I renewed.  So what you are saying is that I can just go into an Oxxo, put 150 pesos on my phone on the last day of the plan,  call 5050 and text SL150 when prompted?  Or is the entire thing a text?  I'd like to be "in the know" next month to save time at the big Telcel.  Thanks so much.

Go to any OXXO, put the 150 pesos on your number. Then, BEFORE you make any calls or texts, TEXT (do not call) the message SL150 to the number 5050. You will get a message back,  almost immediately,  saying that your plan is activated.

And FYI, it is not necessary to do it on the last day of the plan- you can let any amount of time go by after it elapses. Say you're sick that day and can't get out- just do it whenever you are able to. you won't be able to text or call, but you could still receive.  Nor are you stuck with that amount- if you wanted to switch to the 100 pesos for 21 days, for instance, you just text SL100 after paying.

As I use an old-school Nokia dumb phone, there is no need to switch anything to Roaming when I get to Canada. It just switches over to Rogers automatically and I can phone when NOB using the numbers as the above posters explained.

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Go to any OXXO, put the 150 pesos on your number. Then, BEFORE you make any calls or texts, TEXT (do not call) the message SL150 to the number 5050. You will get a message back,  almost immediately,  saying that your plan is activated.

And FYI, it is not necessary to do it on the last day of the plan- you can let any amount of time go by after it elapses. Say you're sick that day and can't get out- just do it whenever you are able to. you won't be able to text or call, but you could still receive.  Nor are you stuck with that amount- if you wanted to switch to the 100 pesos for 21 days, for instance, you just text SL100 after paying.

As I use an old-school Nokia dumb phone, there is no need to switch anything to Roaming when I get to Canada. It just switches over to Rogers automatically and I can phone when NOB using the numbers as the above posters explained.

Mudgirl, you will never know how helpful this is to me.  Thank you!  I am going to copy-and-paste this to my Telcel address card in my contacts so that I know what to do next month.  You are the best.

• 6 months later...

I had the 100 peso plan when I was in Mexico and when I got back to Canada it worked for a short time and was able to phone people here but not to Mexico.  My question is if I go on the internet,while in Canada, and purchase the 150 or the 200 Sin Limites plans, would I be able to phone Mexico from Canada and also use this plan when living in Canada to phone everyone here.  If this works, I would kill my Canadian plan and use this Mexican plan.

Archived