Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel plan - unlimited Mexico/USA/Canada

ARIBOY

I have the new unlimited calls  Telcel plan  for 199 pesos/month.

I have tried it calling numbers in the USA (from Mexico ) no problem.

Tried it calling another Mexican cellphone  who was traveling in the USA - no luck - after several rings , it stops ringing.

The Mexican Cell who was physically in the USA ( with a similar Telcel plan) tried to call my cell in Mexico, and the anouncement said it was not allowed.

Has anyone tried their Mexican cell calling back to Mexico from the US under their new unlimited calling plan ?? 

Any success stories or problems - wanted to check before complaining to Telcel

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the 199 ps plan just before I left to the States and was very curious as to whether it would work calling back to Mexico.

Before I left I was using it to call my wife, who is up in the States, and it worked just fine.

Once I got up in the States I tried using it to call home to my house phone and to my friends who had a Mexican cell, and al (so to local US numbers.  It worked fine you just have to make sure you have the number put into the contacts correctly.  If you don't use the country code, and the extra 1 after the 52 (used to indicate a Mx cell phone) it doesn't go through.  

It's a little tricky so you have to make sure your contact numbers are correct, ie. when calling Mx cell within Mx, it is one number, and when calling a Mx cell from the US you have to enter the number differently.

But I am impressed that it works just fine and when my friends from Mx call me here (in US) it is just fine.

Well worth the money. 

Now I am confused.

I have a Mexican cellphone number.

If I understood correctly, Giligan says that when taking my Mexican phone to the USA and dialing  a Mexican cell number I need to add the prefix +52 1 plus the 10 digit cell number to reach it. 

El Saltos seem to indicate that when taking my Mexican cellphone to the USA and dialing a Mexican cell number, I just dial as if I was in Mexico (i.e.  the 10 digits only)  This did not work for me, so am trying to get feedback of someone who has ACTUALLY tried it, to properly understand the dialing procedures.

Well we might as well get all this tried out while I am up here.  I have both a Telcel phone with the 199 plan and another Telcel phone that is not on any plan, just has 200 pesos in it.  I tried to dial my regular phone using the phone that is on the international plan and when I just dialed the 10 digit number (like I would if I were in Mx) and the call would not go through.  I then tried it again using the 011 52 1 and 10 digit number and the call went through to my non-plan phone.  Earlier in the evening I tried to call my friend who has a local Dallas number from my international-plan cell and all I had to do was enter the 10 digit local number.  So I guess I would describe it as saying the phone number you are calling is dictated by where you are, ie. if in US calling US it's just the 10 digit number, if in US calling Mx then you have to enter the whole international calling set of numbers, if in Mx calling US you have to enter the whole international calling set of numbers.

The only downside that I can see with this Telcel 199 peso plan (and David is right at $ 12 US you can't beat it) is that people in the US cannot call me on my Mx cell phone unless they have a plan that allows them to call Mexico for free.  And since my wife has an AT&T US-based cell phone that can call Mexico it is a great deal.

Hope that helps explain about how to dial.  If any more questions let me know while I am still up here.

2 hours ago, lgutman said:

Now I am confused.

I have a Mexican cellphone number.

If I understood correctly, Giligan says that when taking my Mexican phone to the USA and dialing  a Mexican cell number I need to add the prefix +52 1 plus the 10 digit cell number to reach it. 

El Saltos seem to indicate that when taking my Mexican cellphone to the USA and dialing a Mexican cell number, I just dial as if I was in Mexico (i.e.  the 10 digits only)  This did not work for me, so am trying to get feedback of someone who has ACTUALLY tried it, to properly understand the dialing procedures.

No, I said you need to dial as one does in the USA, e.g. the call to Mexico so you dial 011 52 1 + the 10 digit number!

Does the plan include data?     Because I pay 100p for 30 days unlimited calling to can/us/mex with no data.      I tried to use my phone in the US but got an automated message that my sim card was invalid, it was one of those cheapy throw away phones.

The 199 pesos per month includes up to 1 gig of data per month.

all the plans are identical, except that the price goes up by the amount of data included ( they include unlimited voice, text and most social applications- using text)

ie  199 is 1gig/month

the following numbers are from memory - so I cannot vouch - but you get the idea.:

299 is 2 gig

399 is 3gig

etc. etc.

Ariboy is correct and I am getting my email and other data applications here in the US with no problem.

1 gb /  month is a lot of data considering most of the time I am somewhere where I can leverage off the wifi.

This is a very good deal, and as I said the only downside is folks in the US cannot call your Mexican cell phone for free unless they are on some type of package.  Many providers here, like AT&T and Verizon offer similar packages where a US phone can call Mexico, and if that is the case it works so people can call you.

At the equivalent of $ 12 USD / month, it is a great deal.

Oh, and I paid ahead for 6 months so I don't have to pay monthly.

18 hours ago, Gilligan said:

Well we might as well get all this tried out while I am up here.  I have both a Telcel phone with the 199 plan and another Telcel phone that is not on any plan, just has 200 pesos in it.  I tried to dial my regular phone using the phone that is on the international plan and when I just dialed the 10 digit number (like I would if I were in Mx) and the call would not go through.  I then tried it again using the 011 52 1 and 10 digit number and the call went through to my non-plan phone.  Earlier in the evening I tried to call my friend who has a local Dallas number from my international-plan cell and all I had to do was enter the 10 digit local number.  So I guess I would describe it as saying the phone number you are calling is dictated by where you are, ie. if in US calling US it's just the 10 digit number, if in US calling Mx then you have to enter the whole international calling set of numbers, if in Mx calling US you have to enter the whole international calling set of numbers.

The only downside that I can see with this Telcel 199 peso plan (and David is right at $ 12 US you can't beat it) is that people in the US cannot call me on my Mx cell phone unless they have a plan that allows them to call Mexico for free.  And since my wife has an AT&T US-based cell phone that can call Mexico it is a great deal.

Hope that helps explain about how to dial.  If any more questions let me know while I am still up here.

People can't call you on your Mexican cell phone when you are in the US but can they text you? 

I take my Telcel phone with me to the US and Canada. And yes people from Mexico can call my cell phone number and when they do I try to keep the conversation vary short because I have to pay long distance on my Mexican cell phone, when they phone me when I receive the call in the US.

What is my Telcel plan? It's the pay as you go Telcel Amigo plan. When in the US I roam with either AT&T or more recently T-Mobile now that AT&T is competing down here.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

I take my Telcel phone with me to the US and Canada. And yes people from Mexico can call my cell phone number and when they do I try to keep the conversation vary short because I have to pay long distance on my Mexican cell phone, when they phone me when I receive the call in the US.

What is my Telcel plan? It's the pay as you go Telcel Amigo plan. When in the US I roam with either AT&T or more recently T-Mobile now that AT&T is competing down here.

Yes. That is correct, but with the plan we have been discussing (the 199 p plan) the calls are included unlimited.

Has anyone tried the new Nettalk plan?  Unlimited talk & text in US, MX, & CA.  Unlimited data; the first 10 GB @ LTE, then back to 3G.  Plus unlimited Netflix, Pandora, and others without using your data.  It looks very intriguing!  NetConnect.com.

4 hours ago, Colo-Rick said:

Has anyone tried the new Nettalk plan?  Unlimited talk & text in US, MX, & CA.  Unlimited data; the first 10 GB @ LTE, then back to 3G.  Plus unlimited Netflix, Pandora, and others without using your data.  It looks very intriguing!  NetConnect.com.

I'm confused.... you mentioned Nettalk and NetConnect.com. I went to NetConnect.com and it says that that Domain name is for sale. I went to NetTalk and it looks like a home VOIP service (with not very good reviews).

What am I missing?

My Error!  It is https://www.nettalkconnect.com/wireless

I have been using a Nettalk Duo Voip device for many years.  My home phone in Montrose, Colorado forwards to the local phone number they assigned me for the device.  I have the unit here with me at Lakeside.  When someone calls my home in Montrose, the phone rings here.  Pretty slick!  And I can pick up the phone and call any number in US or CA for free.  Including 800 numbers.

Archived