Chapala.com Webboard

overstayed 10 years on mexican visa

anjani333

3 hours ago, Mmcd said:

Yes I am on a 180 day tourist visa that expired a couple years ago. I am going to japan for work. I already have tje work visa for japan. I'm just scared to get detained in Mexico immigration. 

Hopefully you learn something from this. If you hadn't ignored immigration laws, you'd have nothing to be scared about. It's not that hard to take a short trip out of Mexico before your tourist card runs out and re-enter, getting a new one, that's good for another 180 days.

And I wouldn't be so sure they'll let you into Japan right now. In case you haven't heard, many countries aren't allowing anyone back in unless they are citizens or permanent of that country, and then you have to immediately go into quarantine for 14 days.

mudgirl, it really is time you stopped destroying threads with your constant patronizing. No one cares about your pointless and continuous judgey posts. Just because this person opened himself up to the possibility of a personal attack does not mean you have to. But you do at every opportunity. Try to be nice for a change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

mudgirl, it really is time you stopped destroying threads with your constant patronizing. No one cares about your pointless and continuous judgey posts. Just because this person opened himself up to the possibility of a personal attack does not mean you have to. But you do at every opportunity. Try to be nice for a change.

OMG...I cannot not, must not resist :      He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.”

• Confused 1

lakeside7, you are number 2 on my list of well-known sh**-disturbers on this board. It only stands to reason you would be my follow-up judger. You are just upset because I've had to put you in your place before for being such a know-it-all "mother" to those who don't need it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hello Forum members,

Looking for related experiences regarding expired FMMs. In advance, I fully realize YOUR experience(s) will likely not be what WE experience - only looking for some honest feedback :-)

Entered Mexico on foot from the United States in early November 2019. On a chance, took a sublease in Mazatlan several weeks later. Booked a ticket (in December!) from MAZ to TIJ one-way to cross back into the U.S. for April. Our 180 days FMM is up - mas y menos - at the start of May. 

Our one-way flight is flexible based on the fare-class, but we wish not to cross back into the U.S. right now in order to get another 6-month FMM, due to uncertainties with a lot of things - too many to list!

We have several options - and I would appreciate some expert opinions and hopefully someone's experience to guide me - Again, I do understand YOUR experience does not in any way suggest this will be OUR experience - just looking for honest feedback.

Option 1: Overstay by 6 months, then cross back on foot into the U.S. In the past - on foot AND in a vehicle within the free zone - our experience has shown us we WILL NOT come in contact with any Mexican official, meaning we will not hand in our FMM card.

Question For Option 1: Does anyone think that this will be found out if and when we decide to re-enter into Mexico on foot several days later, in order to get another 180-day FMM?

Option 2: We've already spoken with an official at the immigration office here in Mazatlan; sadly we were not too prepared with our questions... We left there with the knowledge that we could get another FMM  after our original FMM expiration (around the beginning of May), pay any fines there on the spot and get issued a new FMM - with no guarantee regarding the amount of days this new form could be issued for.

Question for Option 2: My apologies for making muddy any water, but after reading responses here on this forum, I must mention I've read elsewhere several things - The fine for overstaying is a per-day fine and also there is a maximum fine (about 300 USD). Can anyone relate their personal experiences with anything similar?

Option 3: Continue our travels south for about another 6 months (or until things get somewhat back to normal?) and exit, on foot, into either Belize or Guatemala. We entered into Guatemala this way in 2013 and seem to remember turning in the FMM, which wasn't expired!

Question for Option 3: See question for Option 2!

Sorry for the the 8x12 version; I just want to list every angle I can think of. Again, just looking for thoughts and experiences and I know the latter will undoubtedly differ from ours once this is all said and done.

Thanks forum members!

42 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

You won't proper answers here. Please contact an immigration lawyer.

As stated, only looking for opinion and experiences from others on this forum regarding this topic - not "legal advice" and I'm not asking anyone what I should do in this situation at all.  With due respect, I did mention that several times.

If you don't mind, what makes you think I am looking for legal advice? Am I really asking more than anyone else on this thread? 

25 minutes ago, GoAwayOften said:

As stated, only looking for opinion and experiences from others on this forum regarding this topic - not "legal advice".  With all do respect, I did mention that several times.

If you don't mind, what makes you think I am looking for legal advice? Am I really asking more than anyone else on this thread? 

Because you are asking very unique and specific questions that probably would be better answered by  an attorney who specializes in Immigration  Or the free advice could  end up costing you .

23 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Because you are asking very unique and specific questions that probably would be better answered by  an attorney who specializes in Immigration  Or the free advice could  end up costing you .

It's not advice per-se I am looking for - I am not asking anyone "hey, what should I do in this case?" Only wishing to hear from others who may have been in a similar boat. 

I can only repeat what Mostlylost already said. Look at the answers throughout this thread. You are not going to find many, if any on this Board with experiences specifically similar to yours. Only guesses. If you are indeed happy to hear what people think, as you put it, so be it.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

If you are indeed happy to hear what people think, as you put it, so be it.

YES! That is what I am looking for - again, with due respect I thought I made that clear and I'm sorry If I didn't. Of course, the option we both want is to do all of this legally and with less cost to us.

So, I'd love to hear more thoughts on my original post - not advice on what we could do. We know all of that already. Just looking for some discussion, that's all. 🙂

only one thing is true. No one knows what will happen. It all depends on the person on the other side of the glass at Migracion. If it is a young person pissed about how mexicans are treated by the US at the border, your experiences could be bizarre. If the person is a traditional mexican , who looks kindly on old people, the experience could be pleasant and anything in between. This is mexico and uncertainty is part of its' charm. Viva Mexico!

Sorry you mistakenly broke the law. US police say ignorance of the law is no excuse. You could even hear that quote.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GoAwayOften said:

It's not advice per-se I am looking for - I am not asking anyone "hey, what should I do in this case?" Only wishing to hear from others who may have been in a similar boat. 

See Spencer's post today in this same section of the forum. INM is allowing extensions of the tourist card.

23 hours ago, mudgirl said:

See Spencer's post today in this same section of the forum. INM is allowing extensions of the tourist card.

Thank you very much for that - I appreciate it! I have since seen unofficial information regarding this so far. From what I've read there is a "review" fee of about 1300 pesos for this, which actually costs more than BOTH of our one-way flights to Tijuana. LOL! I know that extra fee is very likely the price you pay for this allowance, based on the way things are suddenly.

This review fee is on top of the fine and the price of the new FMM; the latter two charges are understandable to us. So it's about 175 USD by the time all is said and done.

TBH, I am not certain if that review fee is for others who offer to expedite and arrange this process, or if that fee is charged by Mexican immigration?

We've left Mexico on foot on several occasions after lengthy stays (several months on a 180-day FMM) and have never seen a Mexican agent or turned in our FMM cards while exiting the country that way, so....

We are still here legally at this point and really don't feel too backed up in a corner, so to speak - nor will we feel this way when our FMM cards expire. Still, trying to figure out the best option for us and, of course, always good to hear what others think and especially feedback from others who may have been in a similar situation. HarryB has said it and I acknowledged already that Nobody can say with certainty what will happen to us. 🙂

Thanks again for sharing that! 🙂

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if the immigration booth is open at the tijuana airport so that I can pay my fine before flying out of the country?

Has the fee for overstayed tourist visa (3Years) changed? I am assuming from what I have read that I will need to obtain a new FMM before my flight. I am from Northern Ireland and not trying to enter the US and come back to renew it. I am just curious of what I am looking at paying.

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2016 at 3:02 PM, RickS said:

RV, regards you no-stamp statement..... you must have driven into Mexico last week, no? Because if you flew in you would have had no choice getting a stamp coming in. And since you probably drove into the Frontera, you didn't need/get a Tourist Card which would have required it to be turned back in... along with the requisite Passport stamp... when you left. 

I flew into Puerto Vallarta recently and they never stamped my passport.

On 3/15/2016 at 3:02 PM, RickS said:

This is from 2016.

In any case; I have never flown into or out of Mexico.  We drove in and out many times, and in recent years we have walked in and out. We still have no stamps in our passports.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 6:03 PM, GoAwayOften said:

I am not recommending that anyone do this, but here goes.  My neighbor here in Puerto Vallarta overstayed her visa a couple of times.  Here's what she has done.  She goes to the INM booth at the airport, and just tells them she lost her FMM (says something like she didn't know she was supposed to keep it).  She pays $30 or so to get a new one and boards the plane.  She told me it was really easy, and they never ask her a lot of questions, just give it to her.