Chapala.com Webboard

Tiger in La Floresta

gimpychimp

Mr. Google says the Jaguar is the third largest feline after the Tiger and Lion, the largest in the America's. An adult male Jaguar can weigh from 150 to 200 lbs!

The Jaguar has an exceptionaly powerful bite even relative to other big cats. It bites directly through the skull of pray between the ears to deliver a fatal bite to the brain! What a house pet!

could it be an ocelot?

Ocelot
Animal
The ocelot, also known as the dwarf leopard, is a wild cat distributed extensively within South America including Mexico. It has been reported as far north as Texas. Wikipedia

I guess it doesn't matter. They look and act alike except the ocelot is smaller

In my opinion Dogs are more dangerous locally than this cat.  Pack dogs kill other dogs quite often.  Just broke up a pack of dogs the other day picking on a smaller dog. Lets keep this real as far as the danger goes OK. I guestion the sanity of a person keeping a big cat but I don't worry about it.  Yes cats (with the exception of cheetahs) can't be totally tamed but they can be mostly tamed. I think this cat falls into the mostly tamed category.  This is what makes life interesting here.  I doubt if the cat would hurt a human unless cornered.

Yes I am sorry for the owners of the dogs and it should not have happened so lets hope the animal will be watched more carefully. I worked as a volunteer at a wildlife park and use to brush a cheetah while it was sitting on my lap and work with the other large cats which we never trusted when we were alone. I guess I have mixed feelings about all this but I do think dogs present a much more real danger to us in reality than a big cat in La Floresta. 

Well that takes care of the problem. I am not surprised. Its the right choice for the animal. What are folks going to do as it grows??  Yes Cookie I understand the difference between a full size cheetah and a Jaguar kit. I actually wouldn't have either laugh out loud!!  One particular bad tempered ten pound house cat is nasty enough and I have the scars to prove it.

Well that was interesting. 

On 3/1/2016 at 1:06 PM, pamela duran said:

On Sunday, we spoke to the person who earlier in the day had tranquillized the jaguar, and helped load him into a truck taking him to the zoo in Guadalajara

So, does this settle the issue for now?  I read several accounts of this incident and none of them were specific as to the location of the capture incident or the location of the house where this Big Cat lived.  I think the public has a right to know these details for our own safety.  I like to walk around in La Floresta!  Can someone please keep us all informed regarding the outcome of this matter??  Gracias!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Archived