Chapala.com Webboard

Tiger in La Floresta

gimpychimp

To those of you who live in La Floresta, a Mexican friend told me today that a tiger had been loose in La Floresta this morning and had killed her friend's dog.  I had my friend phone  La Floresta security, and they confirmed that this tiger had escaped from someone's house there, but had now been re-captured.   They seemed to want to brush it off as nothing to worry about, but I think people should be aware that wild animals are being kept in their neighborhood, and if this can happen once it could happen again. Now that I have seen photos I see it is not a tiger, but is certainly a dangerous large cat!

La Floresta.jpg

I certainly wouldn't call it nothing to worry about. Tigers are not house pets. Makes me wonder who the neighbors are who own the tiger. Perhaps they are, as we used to say in Boston in mafia days, "connected." That would explain why the La Floresta security people do not want to pursue the owners.

That is just amazing - the pinnacle of human arrogance and machismo. I guess Noah started it. I was curious about how widespread this is in Mexico. This org. in Mexico City has already "rescued" 200 big cats.http://blackjaguarwhitetiger.org/ Rescue, to them, means finding households who can bring these cats into their families. Whah!! It least I haven't from those bat crazy wolf dog people in Mexico.

There is a story in this week's Reporter about people buying exotic pets, which showed a picture from the Internet of a tiger cub on a leash in the Andares mall. Are we sure this La Floresta thing isn't just a re-telling and twisting of that story?

In Chiapas jaguars are also called "tigre" in Spanish so hopefully it was a jaguar and not some Bengal tiger or other type of tiger that are really dangerous. Great to hear that someone has a jaguar as a pet when the breed is in danger of extinction..people are pretty incredible.

When a Bengal tiger escaped from a circus in Guerrero he went through a bunch of dogs and cows and bulls for the first 2 weeks..never heard what happened to the tigrt or if he ever got caught or killed but that was scary..

The people with the wildlife center were called out to help catch it. It was tame according to the man who coaxed it home and it is a Jaguar. 

The wildlife people had a booth at the Chili Cookoff. I  found out that it is a federal crime,  punishable by over a $200 thousand peso fine to kill any wildlife. That means don't kill any snakes either folks.

I was told by my friend that two dogs were killed in separate incidents.  The owner keeps this Jaguar as a family pet and he was offering to pay any associated doctor bills, or buy them a new dog, etc. ( Ha!  like its that easy to replace your beloved pet! ) This Jaguar is very docile normally, according to the owner, but the hunting instinct kicked in when he saw the dogs.  I'm told he killed the dogs but didn't eat them. Can you imagine how terrifying that was for the person walking their dog?  This poor captive cat should definitely not be allowed in a residential area, or be captive at all, in my opinion.

So that makes it ok?  That is a jaguar and they are wild animals, we have a few left in the jungle in Chiapas and they are great hunters, tame or not. The poor thing must have been really confused being in La Floresta.. Last year I was walking with friends in the jungle around Tikal with friends and the guide stop and told us to listen. A juaguar was growling really close to us and we never saw it. We waited lokked up and around and it was so well camouflaged we never saw it . They are shy and are not easy to spot so that one must have been scared out of his wit.

It is insane that they continue to give permit to keep wild animals in a populated area when it is a big no no to have an howl in a cage..Continuing to issue permits for animals that are in the endangered list only encourages poaching for babies.

I was told the jaguar has a dog companion so it knows and likes dogs. If it was out and a dog barked at it frightening it, like any threatened animal it would attack. I have 4 Chihuahuas and they act tough and aggressive toward other animals especially if loose. The jaguar might not have known the Chihuahua was a dog.

no kidding wild animals have strong instincts and this jaguar may have been raised with a dog which does not mean he would not kill a dog if he saw one, not his dog but any dog zipping around would be in danger , more importantly any child or toddler would be in danger too.They rarely attack adults but they could too.

Anything running would trigger its hunter´s instinct. These animals are not pets, it just sickens me that people try to reduce them to pets.. Cats are cats and they are wondeful animals but they are hunters period hungry or not. They are magnificent animals and they belong in the jungle, and this one is a reserve not in La Floresta..

From today's Semanario La Laguna http://semanariolaguna.com/15804/

Jaguar se escapa de un domicilio en el Fraccionamiento La Floresta en Ajijic

En la finca donde se escapó el animal se encuentran otras especies exóticas 

Semanario Laguna
imageLos elementos municipales dudaron en capturar el animal hasta que un joven Bombero dio cuenta que el jaguar era dócil y pudieron mantenerlo quieto a base de caricias. Foto de Gilberto Padilla. Pulsa la fotografía para ver la imagen completa . 

D. Arturo Ortega (Ajijic, Jal).-Un jaguar escapó de una casa en el fraccionamiento La Floresta de Ajijic y mató a una perrita chihuahua la mañana de este 27 de febrero.

El animal en peligro de extinción fue capturado y regresado a sus dueños sin que hiriera a ninguna persona .

El jaguar de seis meses de edad de nombre Zoe que se escapó alrededor de las nueve de la mañana de la finca ubicada en Paseo del Lago #97 no atacó a ninguna persona, sin embargo sí mató a una perrita que paseaba con su dueña por la calle Paseo del Lago.

El animal en peligro de extinción estuvo deambulando por la mencionada calle (alrededor de las 9:30) por más de media hora, hasta que albañiles quienes trabajaban en una finca cercana al domicilio donde escapó el animal llamaron a las autoridades .

Al lugar arribaron elementos de Protección Civil, Servicios Médicos Municipales, Policía Municipal y Secretaría de Movilidad y cerraron la calle.

Las autoridades Intentaron levantar a Zoé quien se mostraba amigable con los humanos, para regresarlo con sus dueños, pero no pudieron sino hasta que le dieron trozos de jamón y salchicha para regresarlo a su jaula.

Los albañiles entrevistados informaron que la dueña de la perrita chihuahua pateó al gato para que liberara a su mascota, cuando la anciana se dio cuenta que se trataba de un jaguar se retiró de manera cautelosa, resultando ilesa.

El ejemplar de gato más grande que se encuentra en América, escapó de su jaula y habría salido por la puerta principal del domicilio en que permanecía cautivo, tras un descuido de sus dueños.

El titular de Protección Civil y Bomberos, Enrique Perales Miranda informó que los dueños del felino no se encontraban en el domicilio al momento de la captura.

Según dijeron las autoridades el animal no fue incautado por no contar con los recursos para mantenerlo hasta que se aclare la tenencia legal del ejemplar.

El departamento de Ecología Municipal agregó que hasta el momento, los dueños no han comprobado la tenencia legal de este y otros animales que se encuentran en la finca.

Los cuidadores informaron al departamento de Ecología que los animales que se encuentran en la finca forman parte de un programa de reproducción avalado por Procuraduría Federal del Cuidado del Ambiente (PROFEPA), está última información no ha sido corroborada.

Las autoridades no informaron que tipo de animales exóticos se encontraban en el domicilio.

As gympichimp said "They seemed to want to brush it off as nothing to worry about",but what if it had attacked a person?

It's a miracle it went after the Chi and not after the lady.

Jaguars are endangered species and are protected by law and that animal should be impounded by the authorities.

They even took pictures petting the Jaguar as if to show people it was "harmless and innocent", that animal must be the pet of someone with "connections".

I wonder what will happen the next time it escapes and roams around La Floresta, I hope it does not atttack a human.

I would like to personally thank the security people of La Floresta who acted SO quickly in an attempt to dispel any further problems when the jaguar escaped.  I was just heading into town on foot from my home on the same street where the jaguar lives (did not know we had a jaguar as a neighbour!) When the jaguar began to move towards where I was he drove is little truck right between myself and the jaguar and diverted anything that may have happened.  They were the first on the scene and did everything they could to keep people and dogs and vehicles from passing the area where they were trying to capture the jaguar.  They were genuinely concerned and were incredibly professional in keeping everything safe and open for the people who were involved in the capture.  It was ironic that just a few days ago the Guad Reporter ran the story about exotic animals in captivity.  I hope this little incident helps in making authorities aware of the issues that could happen if these animals are allowed to be kept within town limits, or even kept at all.  It is so sadly unfair to the wild animals and now to that poor lady who lost her dog to the jaguar.  The whole story could have been much more tragic if not for those involved in recapturing the animal and keeping everyone safe while they did so.  If this had happened at night after dark who knows how long it would have taken to find Zoe, and who knows what Zoe would have done before any capture occurred.  THANK YOU LA FLORESTA SECURITY for your amazing work.  It did not go unnoticed.  (I will send them a personal note of thanks as well)

Archived