Chapala.com Webboard

Neighborhood dogs roaming around free

I have been attacked by Pack dogs twice. Luckily I had a walking stick. These packs come and go and are shot many times by the police and killed. Its not a huge problem these days in Ajijic. Twice in eight years and I walk a lot so lets keep it in perspective. Have never been bitten but the packs came close. I have been bitten twice by Gringo dogs not pack dogs. A rock in my hand if I don't have my stick works for Pack dogs. Gringo dogs are not predictable in my opinion if let loose or escape unless timid by nature. Much more afraid of Gringo dogs than Mexican dogs when walking. Also remember dogs sense fear. Don't be fearfull they smell it!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Also remember dogs sense fear. Don't be fearfull they smell it!"

Aw, c'mon Zed. Anyone who has been the victim of a dog attack will be fearful and probably can't avoid having the "fear smell".

I agree that Gringo dogs are a different story than Mexican dogs. Speculating on the reasons is interesting, but useless. :unsure:

My landlady was given a pup. As the story goes round here, it got big and clumsy, so she turned it out. Now the dog is bringing soiled diapers to my door and munching on them. Of course she feels no responsibility to clean anything .. after all it's not her dog. Typical!

One can teach oneself not to be fearful Gringal. Its a learned skill. I use to take care of large animals for folks and believe me I learned early on not to be fearful. They smell it and react accordingly in my experience. Watch the 70 pound cowgirl/ranch girl deal with animals if you don't believe me. Its skill and attitude.

One can teach oneself not to be fearful Gringal. Its a learned skill. I use to take care of large animals for folks and believe me I learned early on not to be fearful. They smell it and react accordingly in my experience. Watch the 70 pound cowgirl/ranch girl deal with animals if you don't believe me. Its skill and attitude.

Have you ever been seriously attacked and bitten by a pack? Was the 70 lb. girl every hurt by an animal?

As far as the local situation is concerned, it shouldn't be necessary to learn a "skill" if the animal owners behave responsibly.

Gringal I truly understand...but if you depend on other people to save you or provide safety for you by being responsible with their pets... you're in danger. I realize what people SHOULD do..but unfortunately that usually bears little resemblance to what they will or won't do. Your safety is entirely up to you. Seems like a great opportunity for one of the local dog trainers to have classes for people. Teaching folks how to deal with animals out of control might change the whole scenario.

With animals I've found that attitude is as important or more important than size. My stallions (one is 1200 pounds) mind me perfectly...I'm da mama.... no matter how big they get...I'll ALWAYS be "da mama", My much larger husband ..they never take seriously..

Just my two pesos

Auntie Kippy

Gringal I truly understand...but if you depend on other people to save you or provide safety for you by being responsible with their pets... you're in danger. I realize what people SHOULD do..but unfortunately that usually bears little resemblance to what they will or won't do. Your safety is entirely up to you. Seems like a great opportunity for one of the local dog trainers to have classes for people. Teaching folks how to deal with animals out of control might change the whole scenario.

With animals I've found that attitude is as important or more important than size. My stallions (one is 1200 pounds) mind me perfectly...I'm da mama.... no matter how big they get...I'll ALWAYS be "da mama", My much larger husband ..they never take seriously..

Just my two pesos

Auntie Kippy

I would like to hear some good, realistic advice on how to remain safe if confronted with a situation such as befell my good friend who has told her story on here of being attacked by a pack of seven loose dogs and who wound up in the hospital. Yes, my safety is entirely up to me, so if I never leave my house, there will never be a problem. I don't intend to become a shut in.

Please, people, lets give practical advice applicable to the present reality. Talking about being de momma or about learning to not smell like fear is really not very useful. It still remains the responsibility of animal owners to protect others by following the law.

I have little hope for that. People will probably go on doing what they are doing now.

Cookie did a much better job than I did explaining animals,fear, and respect. Fear is a learned behavior. Gringal I have seen that 70lb cowgirl pull a bull around by his nose. Its all about skill and respect animal and human both.

Excuse me, Zed. I don't have a big 'ol bull to practice on, and I ain't going to turn into a cowgirl in my elder years. The skills you speak of don't apply to our lives here, so your advice on this is just not practical. Fear is built into the human condition when it is appropriate and saves our butts more often than not. Those who lack it often walk right into situations they should simply avoid.

Perhaps the final stage in this thread will be for someone to blame the victim of a seven dog pack attack (not me) for failing to have cowgirl skills and mind control over fear. :huh:

Carry a big walking stick and know how to use it Gringal as I do at times. Used it to break up a dog pack picking on a small dog last week. Keep it right next to the door. I learned to swim with sharks at 50 years old believe me my fear was real about sharks. You seem to be embracing your fear. I choose to eliminate it as much as possible. Yes fear has it place up to the point where you can't physically defend yourself.

I'm not trying to piss you off Gringal. What you're hoping for is not going to happen in our lifetimes. We're trying to help you deal with the problem. The fight or flight instinct will get you killed if you don't choose to stand your ground. Flight is not an option...we're not as fleet of foot as we once were...and we were never fleet enough to outrun a dog pack. If someone would teach a class that gave the people the confidence and tools to deal with dicey situations.... the dogs won't smell fear. Seriously trying to help here. Big walking stick, pepper spray, stun gun, rocks...whatever...just shows them that you're not a victim. Once you've made them run.... you'll be amazed at how proud of yourself you'll be. "Look out! Tough Grannie be walkin' here!"

Carry a big walking stick and know how to use it Gringal as I do at times. Used it to break up a dog pack picking on a small dog last week. Keep it right next to the door. I learned to swim with sharks at 50 years old believe me my fear was real about sharks. You seem to be embracing your fear. I choose to eliminate it as much as possible. Yes fear has it place up to the point where you can't physically defend yourself.

Just one assumption after another, eh? Most people have more common sense than to rely on dumb luck and a positive attitude while swimming with sharks.

:unsure:

I'm not trying to piss you off Gringal. What you're hoping for is not going to happen in our lifetimes. We're trying to help you deal with the problem. The fight or flight instinct will get you killed if you don't choose to stand your ground. Flight is not an option...we're not as fleet of foot as we once were...and we were never fleet enough to outrun a dog pack. If someone would teach a class that gave the people the confidence and tools to deal with dicey situations.... the dogs won't smell fear. Seriously trying to help here. Big walking stick, pepper spray, stun gun, rocks...whatever...just shows them that you're not a victim. Once you've made them run.... you'll be amazed at how proud of yourself you'll be. "Look out! Tough Grannie be walkin' here!"

More assumptions. I am very much aware that dog owners are not going to change their ways in most of our lifetimes. I have no hope of that.

If you can imagine my friend's situation when knocked to the ground without warning by the dog pack, you wouldn't be suggesting the "stand your ground" solution. She was down, and her back was broken in the fall.

I have a big walking stick, and I don't fear the normal dog situation.

I think the subject has been done to death at this point, so how about we just end it? I would say thanks for trying to help, but I think you're picturing the wrong "Grannie". ^_^ This one is cantankerous as hell.

Let it go Gringal, Considering this thread ended its useful life span about 2 pages or so back, that these late arrivals remain so obtuse after reading this thread then its a fair assumption that

1). you have as much chance of winning your point as they have of rational thought and/or;

2). they exist merely to bait you.

Either way, rise above them. Trolls will always be trolls.

Archived