Chapala.com Webboard

The Age Question - 45-49, 50-54, 55=59

UrbanMan

I am 50 now and have been here for 2 years full time. Before I came down I started a a thread on Inside Lakeside asking if there were many here under 50. I received a surprising amount of responses. There are many 'young people living here but you don't often see them. The cost of living here compared to Canada was the major factor for me moving down.

So, have you had success finding these incognito young people?

• 4 weeks later...

Incognito young(er) person here. I just turned 46, and my spouse is 51. We were 43 and 49 when we moved here in 2013.

Yet despite having lived here for two and a half years, we don't know a lot of local people. Unlike all the retired folk, we're both working long days -- he has a full-time (remote) day job and I spend probably 50 hours a week writing. Once you add regular life maintenance on top of that, there's not much time or energy left over for socializing with new people ... something that, in classic introvert fashion, I find exhausting in the best of circumstances. My spouse plays soccer twice a week, and so is casual buddies with some of the Mexican guys on his team. Otherwise, you'd never know we were here. We only ever meet someone if I shake off my introversion long enough to reach out to a particular individual.

For me it's less about finding someone of like age as it is finding someone of like mindset -- a close friend, as opposed to a friendly acquaintance. I have had good friends up to 20 years older and 15 years younger than myself, in the States. But here I get the impression that most people only expect to find friends in a relatively narrow age bracket.

Excellent response, Lobita. I agree with you. The younger and not retired families who do live here are seldom found sitting on the plaza, out to dinner at restaurants or out partying.  And they most certainly are not hiding. They are just working. Usually long hours from their homes and did not come here for the same reasons as retired folks do. 

Although, the weather is great and enjoyed by all, moving here allows working age professionals to not only enjoy the climate, but to earn a living in NOB dollars and spend it on a much less expensive Mexican lifestyle.  Most live here long enough to save enough money to buy a home, finance their children's education or whatever their dreams are and then return NOB to do so having enriched their lives by living here and educating their children in a different culture as well.

• 2 years later...

I'm 54 (today) and am planning my retirement to Lakeside within the next 4 months.  It will be me and my 2 dogs. Im concerned about the age situation.  I hope there are a decent number of professional singles in the 30-45 range. Won't know anyone and hopefully I won't get bored with no work routine.  Big and scary move, but I need a change. At least I don't think the money situation will be an issue down there.  Hope to be able to comfortably live  on a $3500 pension. I have other investments, if needed, and SS down the road.

King Knish - this would be interesting in a new topic post.  The demographics here have changed substantially just in the past two years since the original thread began.  I came at 48 and spent my 50s here and there is very little difference between 50 and 60 living here.  Energy abounds.  

8 hours ago, King Knish said:

I'm 54 (today) and am planning my retirement to Lakeside within the next 4 months.  It will be me and my 2 dogs. Im concerned about the age situation.  I hope there are a decent number of professional singles in the 30-45 range. Won't know anyone and hopefully I won't get bored with no work routine.  Big and scary move, but I need a change. At least I don't think the money situation will be an issue down there.  Hope to be able to comfortably live  on a $3500 pension. I have other investments, if needed, and SS down the road.

A slight puzzlement:  You're 54 (Happy Birthday) and you're hoping to find professional singles who are ten to fifteen years younger here???  Got something against people your own age??😎

We moved here full-time when I was 43.  Have plenty of friends within a few years of my current age (55).  Also have some younger and some considerably older.  It's a friendly community with terrific diversity, it's been delightful meeting people from various backgrounds, experiences, countries, cultures, etc.

Enjoy!

Valerie  :)

Archived