Chapala.com Webboard

Wow!!! Rain

Plumeau1

Besides Lake Chapala Weather Net, are other Internet weather sites available that give local weather expected over the next few hours?

For example, I have a hard time figuring out among all that data on LC Weather Net if the rain will continue today, or will it stop, or will it be intermittent all day.

Accuweather seems to think it's sunny here.

Would appreciate knowing about any other Internet weather sites for short term planning of outdoor activities right here at lakeside.

Thanks.

Rain was a nice surprise this morning. As for weather stations. None of them are accurate. Remember, this area is a micro-climate and what is expected in Ajijic is different than Chapala or Jocotepec. I email a friend in Jocotepec and we never have the same weather. Just enjoy it and plan for it to be different than what is reported on weather stations.

If I am not mistaken I think this winter rain spell is locally called Los Buñuelos. It would be interesting to know the meaning and history behind the word buñuelos regarding winter rain. In many Spanish countries buñuelos are fried round doughnuts similar to the chinese doughnuts you would find on a buffet. In Mexico they look like large deep fried waffles covered in honey and nuts, like something you would get at a carnaval or county fair. But what does that have to do with rain?

Thank you adolphsj, I couldn't make a connection between rain and fried doughnuts, now I know why! Because it is called Las Cabañuelas instead of los Buñuelos. Well, according to many online dictionaries it just basically means: (Mexico(= periodo) first twelve days of January (used to predict the weather) It refers more to the method used to predict January weather then it refers to the rain itself. All in all I just take it to mean that it refers to crazy January weather! period!

Cedros,

I'm on La Paz. It rained at 4am, lightly, 4:30 lightly, absolutely poured at 6am for fifteen minutes and it's raining lightly now. Don't have to water the lawn for at least 3 days.

A few more drops this afternoon in my part of San Juan Cosala. I had to water today.

If I am not mistaken I think this winter rain spell is locally called Los Buñuelos. It would be interesting to know the meaning and history behind the word buñuelos regarding winter rain. In many Spanish countries buñuelos are fried round doughnuts similar to the chinese doughnuts you would find on a buffet. In Mexico they look like large deep fried waffles covered in honey and nuts, like something you would get at a carnaval or county fair. But what does that have to do with rain?

I think you may be referring to cabanuelos? Which every 2-3 years turn the February Chili Fest into a mud wrestling contest..

While wrong, buenelos are far more tasty (and welcome on a rainy and cool day).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bu%C3%B1uelo

Did anyone notice this morning that when the rain hit, the temperature went up.. I have a gage on my deck and it looked as if temp went about 7 degrees. Sure felt like it. That was at 4 am. I just was out in yard and the clouds look like we might get some more. By the way, does anyone know why on the LC weather page, they are showing the lake depth for Dec 10?

On the Agua Jalisco site they are showing the level up to December 22nd. I guess the LC weather page hasn't updated.

The Agua Jalisco site is always slow to update their site after holidays. They are 3 weeks behind which is normal for this time of year.

Thank you adolphsj, I couldn't make a connection between rain and fried doughnuts, now I know why! Because it is called Las Cabañuelas instead of los Buñuelos. Well, according to many online dictionaries it just basically means: (Mexico(= periodo) first twelve days of January (used to predict the weather) It refers more to the method used to predict January weather then it refers to the rain itself. All in all I just take it to mean that it refers to crazy January weather! period!

It's meaning differs in other parts of LA. Here, the Cabañuelos is the predictor of the year's rainy season. Google for more info. In some countries it's specific dates, on others (like here) it's simply when it happens in Jan. or Feb..

There is an app in AppStore it is call WunderUnderground and another one call STORM

In fact 2 or 3 of these systems are install here at lakeside and they are accurate and reliable

Suggest you all have a look

Archived