Chapala.com Webboard

An Ugly American

Tonight I was waiting for my order at Wings Army to arrive and seated facing a chubby apparent US citizen berating a waitress in mocking and vulgar terms. .He also threatened the manager with threats of posting negative things on a local chat board known for their negativity. He then went on to accuse another male in the establishment for fondling the female employees and went on to state that this behavior in the US would result in incarceration. Why am I relating this? I am doing so to remind all of us that we are guests in the Mexican community and to tone down the diatribes for whatever reasons you may feel you have. Using foul language directed to the female employees is way out of line. Such behavior besmirches all visitors to this country.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People who would act like that will not be moved to change their behavior by being admonished on a web board -- or even in person. They are who and what they are, bullies and cowards.

Unfortunately, everyone standing by in silence and allowing his behavior just reinforced his power. He will continue that behavior until he does it with the wrong people in the room and will pay a price either in the restarant or out in the parking lot.

Good old fashioned "bitch slapping" or blanket party waiting for him right outside the door and then pointing him towards the airport with a quick kick in the a*s might change his attitude for good. Would probably never return to Mexico and he might warn any like type friends of his never to travel here. That would be a win win for everyone.

Can stand those types and I'd volunteer to deliver the above mentioned "parking lot" treatment.

Could just be an ### also, could be entering early stages of Alzheimer's or dementia. I have seen it.

I was going to say the same thing. My dad, who was the kindest, most gentle man you would ever know, starting acting like this as he sank into Alzheimer's. The girl who delivered mail to his house refused to come up the walk she was so scared by his language and behavior. My siblings and I were shocked until we finally got the diagnosis.

Pedro Malo, happy to give you a hand dealing with this foreigner!

Thanks El Cartero, I'd probably need some help at this stage in life anyway. But reading the other posts about the potential for onset dementia has softened me a bit and introduced benefit of doubt. My father exhibited some of this behavior at the end of his life as well and he was a very correct and proper man his whole life.

Guess it's always best to treat people with kindness and compassion even though their behavior might bring out the very worst in ourselves. Carl Jung wrote much about this in his hypothesis of the "Shadow" in all of us.

Is the issue here nationality? I don't think so. The issue is overtly hostile behavior. And what we have here is covertly hostile behavior being used to identify and discuss it. Using the behavior of one ignoramus to exemplify all members of a group by implication is just another form of the same behavior - just a little more cowardly and insidiously. Haven't we got enough bias and prejudice north of the border? Do we have to bring it with us down here?

Obviously it is not a question of nationality but the man happend to be American and that is not difficult to figure out. The vast majority of AMericans are very decent people and I do not care of the ugly American stereotype but for some reason people use it a lot including Americans.

I have run into such a man before and I think that the one I ran into may have suffered from dementia or he would have been unbelievebly aggrassive and ride.maybe it is the same man. This one did not want anyone in his line of vision and he physically shoved me out when I went by him swearingg and being rude. Who knows but it is really bad when it happens in an establishement and the employees suffer this treatment as they cannot really fight back.

I too have run into such a man. It was in St Louis at a Holiday Inn he to showed a lack of manners, cursing the clerk, demanding better service, and being a real jerk. But he was not an American but was a Mexican. You can find these type everywhere.

Archived