Chapala.com Webboard

Spiderweb

They are based out of Guadalajara, with an office in Chapala. I use this for internet, $250 pesos a month, can't really say if it's good or not as my computer is so old and slow regardless of provider. Tried the this and the high speed telcel, and not much difference, but that's on my clunker of a netbook.

• 1 month later...

Hola;

I have been a Spiderweb customer for nearly 2 years. I had to go with Spiderweb because our area of Joco has a poor signal with Telmex/Infinitum. The speed averages about 1 meg on good days, maybe just under 2 on very good days , which are VERY rare. Telmex says we are too far from the service box!?! The park that we live in provides us with free internet, but, unfortunately, we all share our modems with each other, so, when everyone goes on, our speed goes way down, mostly less than a 1 meg. . When I got Spiderweb, I was thrilled. My speed was so fast that I could watch Netflix all day and all night. This went on until I started to brag to my neighbors, and then they got in on the action. We HAD 4 people using the same repeater, and I couldn't get the same speed I was getting before. Netflix became a thing of the past and my neighbors were not happy with their service. Three out of the four cancelled their service

The speed is still not up to par. I am lucky to break the 1 meg mark and when I do go over, it never lasts more than a few hours. I am disappointed with what Spiderweb turned out to be and how they handle their customer service. They were all gung ho when we first signed up, but after that, getting someone to come down here is like pulling teeth. The typical "manana" excuse have turned out to be empty promises. That is where I am now. I called them last week and told them we were having problems and they said they would call back. NADA. I called again today and spoke to the technician who said he would check things out and call me back. Twelve hours later, no return call and no change in the system. Unless they can pull through with some better results, I just may cancel and put up with the slow Infinitum, it is, after all, included in my rent. Spiderweb is still $250 a month.

FYI, The people that operate Spiderweb also own "S.O.S.E. Security" and do satellite dish installations. They are located in Chapala on Morelos #172, and may be hard to find because the storefront is actually a locksmith and has a sign in the shape of a "key" hanging out front. To get to Spiderweb office, you would walk in to the side entrance, by the locksmith, and walk through, as if you feel like you are walking into someone's kitchen. Bear to the left where you will find a small office, usually occupied by the company's receptionist.  They do have a phone number, 376-765-4921 or 333-189-1798. They do not have a web site, but are on Facebook.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I would say it would depend on what youre using it for it didnt really work with me cause it drops the connection and you could be a whole day without it which is not good for me since I use internet for most of day to day activity but with that internet provider youre most likely to get mixed reviews for good fast internet id say infinitum

On 3/1/2016 at 8:10 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Has anyone been using the cell phone Internet service provided by TelCel or anyone else around here, that can provide us with up-to-date commentary on the pros and cons?

I have been using TelCel's wireless modem or router...what ever it is, for about 7 months. It is better than no internet and most of the time I can stream netflix or hulu or Amazonprime video but occasionally in the evenings it is too slow to stream. I use it with a NordVPN that comes with my Norton antivirus package. I got mine from Sandra at the small TelCel office just west of El Torrito and occasionally I have to call her to do some sort of reset and then I am good to go again. She is very nice about it.....I only call her during business hours if it is not working but she says I can call anytime I have problems nonetheless. I gave a friend one of the modems and she lives in Puerto Corona, across the lake from Ajijic, just east of San Louis Soyutlan and it works for her there as well. If you get cell service it should work at your location. It is not perfect but it keeps me connected, allows me to stream most of the time and using the wifi with both of our Verizon cell phones gives us adequate data for them as well. I should add we also have a security camera at our gate that uses the wifi and my printer uses the wifi too. All work fine with the TelCel wireless modem/router I got from Sandra. I edited my post to say that when the pandemic first hit I had more issues in the evenings streaming TV but now I can stream most of the time and watch movies in the evenings with few if any streaming issues.

The cost of the modem was I think about $2200 pesos and I pay $500 pesos for "unlimited" data each month. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Susy Wilson said:

I have been using TelCel's wireless modem or router...what ever it is, for about 7 months. It is better than no internet and most of the time I can stream netflix or hulu or Amazonprime video but occasionally in the evenings it is too slow to stream. I use it with a NordVPN that comes with my Norton antivirus package. I got mine from Sandra at the small TelCel office just west of El Torrito and occasionally I have to call her to do some sort of reset and then I am good to go again. She is very nice about it.....I only call her during business hours if it is not working but she says I can call anytime I have problems nonetheless. I gave a friend one of the modems and she lives in Puerto Corona, across the lake from Ajijic, just east of San Louis Soyutlan and it works for her there as well. If you get cell service it should work at your location. It is not perfect but it keeps me connected, allows me to stream most of the time and using the wifi with both of our Verizon cell phones gives us adequate data for them as well. I should add we also have a security camera at our gate that uses the wifi and my printer uses the wifi too. All work fine with the TelCel wireless modem/router I got from Sandra. I edited my post to say that when the pandemic first hit I had more issues in the evenings streaming TV but now I can stream most of the time and watch movies in the evenings with few if any streaming issues.

The cost of the modem was I think about $2200 pesos and I pay $500 pesos for "unlimited" data each month. 

500 pesos per month for wireless internet with unlimited data? I believe its called internet su casa.  I cannot get that package. I dont see it offered, only by the gigabyte. If possible can you send me the info. ...Fair usage policy (or FUP) is a service provider's way of ensuring everyone has equal access to high-speed internet. ... To ensure everyone is receiving the same speed and no one household is causing the service to bottleneck and slowing it down for others, fair usage policy comes into play. https://nube.telcel.com//personas/telefonia/planes-de-renta/tarifas-y-opciones/internet-en-tu-casa

Also referred to as "acceptable use", and the similar "data cap", the policy is basically simply a ploy by Internet providers to get around local and federal laws and regulations, and to convince customers that they are justified in their charges.

And they tack that policy onto every "unlimited" plan I've ever seen. I know nothing about Spiderweb. I do know that TelMex puts no data cap on their service, and nor does iLox... although maybe I just haven't used enough yet for them to freak out. And I do download a lot.

15 hours ago, michael2595 said:

500 pesos per month for wireless internet with unlimited data? I believe its called internet su casa.  I cannot get that package. I dont see it offered, only by the gigabyte. If possible can you send me the info. ...Fair usage policy (or FUP) is a service provider's way of ensuring everyone has equal access to high-speed internet. ... To ensure everyone is receiving the same speed and no one household is causing the service to bottleneck and slowing it down for others, fair usage policy comes into play. https://nube.telcel.com//personas/telefonia/planes-de-renta/tarifas-y-opciones/internet-en-tu-casa

The only info I have is that I went to Sandra's office and said I needed internet. At the time when we first moved here I thought it was "the" TelCel office which of course it was not. She and her husband have a small office and they live behind it. I did not see a flyer or anything. I pay her directly and I pay in advance a few months so I don't have to worry about it. I write it on my calendar and note when I have to pay again. I don't have to wait at the big TelCel office ever. I bought my neighbors daughter an Iphone 8 last week from her even. That really is all I know but you can call her and get the information straight from her. Sandra's number is 33 1215 8390. You can tell her I told you about the service as I know at least 4 other people that have gotten it from her after I told them about what I am using. As you can see my name is Susy:-) Sorry I don't have more information:/ 

For those that may not know, you can also buy a monthly "paquete" at any Oxxo, 7-11, and various other stores like WalMart. This is particularly good for those who don't want or don't have a Mexican credit card, required for cellular subscriptions. But I recommend, if you are just starting, to go to either the TelCel office or a store like the one above, to find out the pricing plans, because they change more often than they should, and because there are too many to list reasonably. I know there are members of this board who could give us a couple of examples. The paquetes include air time, long distance in Mexico, the US and Canada, and a substantial amount of Internet time, plus free Twitter, Facebook, Messenger, and WhatsApp.

I have a Telcel subscription and do not have a Mexican credit card. Got it a couple of years ago. They do come to the door and confirm where you live though. I thought it was rather over the top at the time especially when I wasn't buying anything on credit from them. If I didn't pay the bill for service, the service would just be cut off. Fine with me.

I like being able to have a real bill and a regular known date of payment.

I don't recommend Sandra although she is very personable. I do recommend Anna at the Telcel store just south of Alex's Restaurant.

I go to MiTelcel (you have to set it up online) and go to payments and click on download of the most recent bill, print it off and pay at Oxxo. Somehow, the 711 employees don't know how to do this. They have to scan the bar code ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE FIRST PAGE. Pay and leave. Telcel sends MULTIPLE messages about payment coming due. They make it very hard to forget. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyPanda said:

I was under the impression you needed a Mexican credit card for that. The truth is, I haven't checked for a number of years, of course. Can I ask how you pay, then, please?

I doubt that 10% of the gringo population that have Telcel actually have a Mexican credit card.  And maybe even a less number of Nationals have credit cards.....   I could be wrong but I don't think so.

There's something for everyone. As I said previously you do NOT need a Mexican credit card. It's all about choice and needs. There are many more choices with a contract.

Telcel amigo (pay as you go) plans... https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/amigo/todavia-no-tienes-amigo#!tarifas

Telcel contract plans...https://www.telcel.com/content/telcel/personas/telefonia/planes-de-renta/tarifas-y-opciones/telcel-max-sin-limite.html

On 10/16/2020 at 2:26 PM, michael2595 said:

Can you use a VPN with spiderweb?

Yes, you can use a VPN with any Internet service. Be advised, however, that VPN services can slow down the perceived speed by 60% and even more. So if Spiderweb is already fairly slow, and reports on this board in the past show that it can be, you may not get enough throughput to watch Netflix USA or whatever it is you want from a VPN.

So to get back to the original subject of this now 5-year old Post.... Spiderweb.

Are enough people.... at least any posting here..... actually using it to form an opinion? It appears to be a wireless offering, "similar" in concept if not in application to the now defunct Lakeside product of yesteryear by Rod Collins.

As I posted just before you, the question was using a VPN with Spiderweb.

However, to follow up, since almost no one uses it and also this board, getting an opinion is going to be difficult. But yes, they do it with wireless antennae erected in various neighbourhoods. Someone once opined that the service is satellite-based, which makes sense because they cover such a wide area of outlying villages.

Their website states that "we have wireless antennas placed in strategic places (Lakeside) to cover the area" (broadcasting to an antenna on your house cabled to a wireless modem in the home).

How is the service installed?
tha.
An antenna is installed on the roof of your house, you download a cable connected to the antenna, which will be connected to the modem, which gives you the wireless signal.   
How is the service installed?

An antenna is installed on the roof of your house, you download a cable connected to the antenna, which will be connected to the modem, which gives you the wireless signal.   

Yes, but of course their signal has to come from somewhere. If you look at the variety of areas that they cover, it is clear that they most likely don't have a main broadcast centre in each place. They may have a main tower in each place, but the signal has to come from somewhere. They offer service in places where TelMex, Wizz, and iLox do not, so they can't be running off their backbone, which means most likely they are using satellite feed for their main source, and that satellite is being received by their main towers. Rod's own service was limited to areas within a specific range of his own towers.