Chapala.com Webboard

Off-road or dirt motorcycle riding? Anyone?

Serenity6

Doesn't sound like any of you know about the large motocross park area that is on the road between Mezcala and Casa Blanca (Hwy. 35) - about 1/2 way across.  Beautiful place, fairly high elevation with lots of pine trees. There are also a lot of mountain bike cyclists using trails (as Spencer notated) along the east side of the dam/reservoir above San Juan Tecomatlan.  There is a cyclist club from Guadalajara holding some sort of event in that area in March and I have seen a lot of riders grooming trails in the past few weeks.

UTM Coordinates:  20.372  -103.049

I did that, but got no response so I thought the more thrill seeking posters on this thread might have someone interested or at least know what a hoverboard is.

• 3 months later...

New to the area. Dirt biked for years in BC on my Honda 185XL. Wondering where to dirt bike here in the Lakeside area. Also talked to a guy on a very nice bike at WalMart. He said it was new. It was Mexican. He bought it in Chapala. $20,000 pesos. I can't find any dealers of Mexican bikes in Chapala. 

Appreciate any help. 

biking_16.jpg

You may find a dealer in Jocotopec for scooters and smaller motos, but the full selection will require a trip to Guadalajara, where there are several dealers.

Do you have a residence visa?  CURP?  RFC?  Moto license?  That and proof of residence will enable you to shop and purchase, and the dealerships will usually take care of getting your plates and probably deliver to Chapala.

50 minutes ago, ChecMark said:

I can't find any dealers of Mexican bikes in Chapala. 

Look at Elektra, Soriana, Coppel, or Bodegon. You only need cash when you are dirt biking as there is no tag, no license needed.

My friend the biker knows many Mexican bikers including "off road chicas" a lot of who are from Guadalajara. He sent me this of one of his friends and suggests that Maincoons get out more which is the phrase  MC uses  when others don't agree with him. there are numerous chica moto clubs all over Mexico of all interests including this and , gasp, road racing.

chika biker.jpg

22 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Look at Elektra, Soriana, Coppel, or Bodegon. You only need cash when you are dirt biking as there is no tag, no license needed.

Looks like  CheckMark is experienced so he won't like any of the bikes from those places and unless you trailer your bike to the off road destination you will need a plate.

MC gets out a lot more than Pedro/Ned but he doesn't ride his 550 pound bike on dirt.  There's a good reason the real dirt pros use the much smaller displacement and lighter rides on the serious dirt and those bikes also have knobbies.

You have to have much better off road skills than I do to ride something as big as the BMW R1200GS, my ride, on serious dirt.  This is called knowing one's limitations.  It is a fantastic touring machine that is OK on easy dirt but it is also fitted from the factory with basically street tires which makes it even more difficult on real dirt.  If I was really a big dirt fan I'd have a second ride, probably a 250, just for that. 

Pedro/Ned if you could somehow just manage to get past the Iron Horse you'd begin to see some of where you actually live and not just the town of Chapala.  But somehow I doubt either you or your bike could do it.  I'm about to hit 30K kilometers on my ride in the last two years, how about you?  :D

OP I know a couple of guys who are really expert on dirt and can put you in touch with them.  They are good enough to ride the big bikes on it and have found many great back roads within just a few hours of here.  Truthfully some of the paved roads in this state are so bad the dirt is probably smoother.  :)

37 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

MC gets out a lot more than Pedro/Ned but he doesn't ride his 550 pound bike on dirt.  There's a good reason the real dirt pros use the much smaller displacement and lighter rides on the serious dirt and those bikes also have knobbies.

You have to have much better off road skills than I do to ride something as big as the BMW R1200GS, my ride, on serious dirt.  This is called knowing one's limitations.  It is a fantastic touring machine that is OK on easy dirt but it is also fitted from the factory with basically street tires which makes it even more difficult on real dirt.  If I was really a big dirt fan I'd have a second ride, probably a 250, just for that. 

Pedro/Ned if you could somehow just manage to get past the Iron Horse you'd begin to see some of where you actually live and not just the town of Chapala.  But somehow I doubt either you or your bike could do it.  I'm about to hit 30K kilometers on my ride in the last two years, how about you?  :D

OP I know a couple of guys who are really expert on dirt and can put you in touch with them.  They are good enough to ride the big bikes on it and have found many great back roads within just a few hours of here.  Truthfully some of the paved roads in this state are so bad the dirt is probably smoother.  :)

I, ned small, do not ride anymore,haven't for 30 years but do enjoy helping to work on them. And how many times do you have to be told that neither one of us go to the Iron Horse. And is it your intent to make fun of my friend's physical condition. He still rides with clearance from his doctors and with help from his moto friends although he almost died about 3 months ago. He says he is sorry to disappoint you by still being here.  By the way have you worn out your welcome with the moto riders just like you did with the bluegrass musicians?

Keep up the fiction there Nedro.  It is entertaining.  Only problem is you keep dropping these clues like about a year ago when you accidentally mentioned your classic BSA.  :D

Unlike yourself, I don't wish anyone ill health.  I hope you are doing better.  Stay off the booze, that will help a lot.

Nope, riding more than ever.  Riding more than driving the car.  Several long moto trips coming up, can't wait!  Sorry to disappoint. 

Still looking for Bluegrass players, in short supply around here.  Hard to wear out a welcome with something that never was.  You really should try for greater accuracy in your insults.

You won't find them hanging out at the Iron Horse either.

1 minute ago, Mainecoons said:

Keep up the fiction there Nedro.  It is entertaining.  Only problem is you keep dropping these clues like about a year ago when you accidentally mentioned your classic BSA.  :D

Unlike yourself, I don't wish anyone ill health.  I hope you are doing better.  Stay off the booze, that will help a lot.

Nope, riding more than ever.  Riding more than driving the car.  Several long moto trips coming up, can't wait!  Sorry to disappoint. 

Still looking for Bluegrass players, in short supply around here.  Hard to wear out a welcome with something that never was.  You really should try for greater accuracy in your insults.

You won't find them hanging out at the Iron Horse either.

Rules & REMINDER-Keep it CIVIL& Non Personal

By moderator-2, April 27, 2010 in Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara 

2 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

This is the bike I bought for $27,000 MXN. Try this with a BMW.

Now for dirt riding.

Nope, not me on the R1200GS would try that though I know a couple of guys can do.  Dirt bikes should be light and easy to pick up and also have nice real dirt tires, not pavement rubber.   The Beemer actually isn't bad crossing water though.  Sealed up pretty good.  :)

Love to watch this stuff, wish I could do it.

8 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Rules & REMINDER-Keep it CIVIL& Non Personal

By moderator-2, April 27, 2010 in Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara 

2 hours ago, ned small said:

My friend the biker knows many Mexican bikers including "off road chicas" a lot of who are from Guadalajara. He sent me this of one of his friends and suggests that Maincoons get out more which is the phrase  MC uses  when others don't agree with him. there are numerous chica moto clubs all over Mexico of all interests including this and , gasp, road racing.

I, ned small, do not ride anymore,haven't for 30 years but do enjoy helping to work on them. And how many times do you have to be told that neither one of us go to the Iron Horse. And is it your intent to make fun of my friend's physical condition. He still rides with clearance from his doctors and with help from his moto friends although he almost died about 3 months ago. He says he is sorry to disappoint you by still being here.  By the way have you worn out your welcome with the moto riders just like you did with the bluegrass musicians?

OK.  Did you remind Ned?  :D

Neither did I.  Sorry but sometimes the Ned fiction wears thin.   If you want to hear the story of why this individual is constantly attacking me on this board I will be glad to share it with you in private or by PM.  I guarantee it will make you shake your head.

The amazing part is that in Moderator mode I have been asked time and time again to end this fiction and toss him.  They get quite a laugh about it on TOB apparently.  He is still here because of me.

Now let's get back to the topic shall we?

Archived