Chapala.com Webboard

Pollo Zhen Si, new booth at Centro Laguna plaza

ComputerGuy

=sigh= Oh, well. So many yummy looking choices of different kinds of chicken.

- Rice soup with chicken and mushrooms: super bland. Not cheap at 40p

- Fried chicken legs: deep-fried and overdone, no batter or spices to talk about. $52 for 4

- Breaded chicken with yellow curry: exactly what it says: a breast, breaded and sliced, sitting atop white rice with a dribble of curry sauce, and some sliced veg in curry sauce. Tastes like... curry, but that's it, and there is not enough sauce. $68p

- Teriyaki chicken wings: Deelish. Oversone, but deelish: sticky, lots of sesame, sweet. 8 for $75, but I got 7 and a stunted piece of leftover...

Meals come with white rice, fried rice, or salad. Shoulda taken the salad; didn't realize there was plenty of white rice with the curry. I got the fried rice: absolutely tasteless.

I think you should give this place another chance. Quite an extensive menu, good pricing and large portions. It is Cantonese home style food, the menu makes little or no effort to explain what you are ordering. I enjoyed the rice stew with chicken and mushrooms. I have always been a big fan of Congee, but it is not the same without all the little addons (especially salty doughnut). The homemade wontons were large and packed with ground shrimp. Another dish, I have never seen, was chicken and fries. The chicken was the "velvet' style, super tender, and the fries were real potato (not from frozen), and the whole thing had a creamy sort of sauce/gravy over it (sort of like what Cantonese call "lobster sauce"). The family is related to the booth next store, which prepares U.S. small town, Chinese takeout style.

Almost forgot, they also sell rotisserie chickens that looked good, and very agressively priced. For 99 pesos you get a chicken, tortillas, and I believe two other sides. I would skip the tortillas and go a few doors down for Peter's sourdough baguettes. There is another bakery going in there, which I believe is a sucessful name in Guadalajara. Always lots of secure parking, clean washrooms, are a big draw for me.

Yeah, well, I ordered at least four dishes in an effort to examine a good cross-selection of their food and styles. A 75% failure rate is not worthy of my return visit. Not only that, as I discovered later, the charges on my bill were all different from the prices on the menu: one in my favor, three against. Another 75% fail.

Archived