Chapala.com Webboard

Leaf cutter ants

Plumeau1

Well folks great news...I followed your idea and went outside just now with a flashlight...Well well well, it is amazing to watch, at least for 75' they carry the bit and pieces of cut leafs right to their nest, that nest is a hole in the middle of a calle beside an interphone post of a gated community, they must have been legion of these ants

Now all I need is the solution that works the fastess after a single application!!!

Thanks all

I have mentioned this before - but have taken no action. It is important because it could provide a non-toxic solution to ant control, especially cutter ants. There is a chemical called formic acid, which is non toxic, it is used in food preservation and curing of leather. It was originally isolated from ant venom and apparently also occurs in stinging nettles. Formic acid is the scent trail that ants lay down so the army of workers can find their food trails. My theory is that very dilute formic acid, laid down as a trail, to a bucket full of water they fall into and drown. This should eliminate thousands of ants. Trying to find formic acid, in very small quantities, in Mexico, has been difficult. It is not a dangerous unless highly concentrated. I kind of gave up on this because we have very few problems with cutter ants in our garden.

If you can find the nest....Hormigal will kill the entire tribe. If they are attacking trees then there is an artificial sap for sale in the lakeside area....they cannot climb through it and will go to easier targets

Do you know the name of this artificial sap and where you can buy it?

Well folks great news...I followed your idea and went outside just now with a flashlight...Well well well, it is amazing to watch, at least for 75' they carry the bit and pieces of cut leafs right to their nest, that nest is a hole in the middle of a calle beside an interphone post of a gated community, they must have been legion of these ants

Now all I need is the solution that works the fastess after a single application!!!

Thanks all

When I find a hole at night like you did, I spread some Trompa around it and along the trail the same night I find them. A few days later, they are gone.

Until the next time. :)

I brought back some sticky tape for trees we use in France where ants are way smaller. It did not work but it gave us a lesson on ingenuity. The ants went onto the tape and got stuck and died then the reminder used the dead bodies to step on and made a bridge. I was really impressed by these creatures.

Archived