Chapala.com Webboard

Butter

Plumeau1

I don't think that anyone who prefers a certain butter or cheese is a snob but rather an epicure. Your palate never lies to you, you either like it or you don't. I prefer butter and cheeses from Tillamook, but I'm from Oregon. Maybe if I was from Ireland I'd prefer Irish butter. So what? Enjoy what you like and don't be critical if someone prefers something else.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, you poor lowly plebes. You know I'm holding back: I haven't even mentioned "salted" butter yet..

Haha!

Yes,you've been very restrained,only 4 posts on this new butter thread,Bravo!

I don't think that anyone who prefers a certain butter or cheese is a snob but rather an epicure. Your palate never lies to you, you either like it or you don't. I prefer butter and cheeses from Tillamook, but I'm from Oregon. Maybe if I was from Ireland I'd prefer Irish butter. So what? Enjoy what you like and don't be critical if someone prefers something else.

"maybe if I was from Ireland I'd prefer Irish butter".....Maybe you would, but who cares.

I was just pointing out that people from different areas prefer their product and calling them snobs was light humour. I don't even eat butter so I'm in no position to be critical of anyone, and don't think I was. If preferring Tillamook products makes you epicurean, then by all means, stick with it.

We may be in for a dry spell... this happened last year. CostCo had reached its quota of imports for a number of items, and Kirkland butter disappeared for a long time. A number of things I've ordered lately, including the butter... items that are usually always available, like baby spinach... have not been on the shelves.

Bad timing, 'cause when Christmas gets here, I use tons of butter.

At Costco Polanco on Saturday in the DF there were no 2-packs of pound boxes of Kirkland's. I could only get the big honking 4-pack of pound boxes and I only got one. I could live to regret it; I didn't think of last year's shortage till I was done shopping. :wacko:

I like the Lurpak (Danish) salted but I actually prefer the Anchor (New Zealand) salted and I haven't seen any Anchor butter in well over a year. Anybody know what happened?

I checked my freezer and I can probably last 'til February.

I like the Lurpak (Danish) salted but I actually prefer the Anchor (New Zealand) salted and I haven't seen any Anchor butter in well over a year. Anybody know what happened?

I checked my freezer and I can probably last 'til February.

It's been longer than a couple of years I think since we last saw Anchor butter - the importation must have stopped - sad.

My post doesn't mention taste.

Perhaps you did not use the word "taste", but this is what you said: "Enjoy what you like and don't be critical if someone prefers something else." You were apparently calling someone out for being critical of other's preferences in butter, which to me is no different... but I did not see anyone being critical. (If I missed something, my apologies). But enough nit-picking: my point was no one was being critical.

Any other followers of Marlow and her marvellous mantequilla? As Julie mentioned, she now has a wee shop just north of Number4, on the opposite side of the street. The butter is there!!! :-))

Depends how much it costs, I guess. Most butter is used as an everyday condiment, like salt and pepper.

Pancho at SuperLake told me he is not bringing Kirkland in right now because the price has gone so high (due to dollar vs peso war) that people will not pay. And you don't see too much of LurPak, etc. either because they are even WORSE per gram / ounce -- whichever way you look at it.

Was at CostCo the other day (near Gallerias) and no Kirkland there either.

FYI Mexican butters (doesn't matter which brand) are NOT the same as other countries mentioned. If you loook at the ingredient list, you'll see WATER among several other entries....... so as well as the "slightly off" taste, it is impossible to use a Mexican brand properly in any baking recipe that requires "creaming" of butter and sugar. (Learned by sad personal experience... :010: )

Oh well. No shortbread or other special Christmas cookies this year...... so will get a FRESH turkey from Puritan Poultry instead!

Yes, Computer Guy, I totally concur, Mexican butter smells totally rancid. My daughter, who also lives in Mexico and is not so fussy, bought some when she came to visit- I could smell it every time I walked into the kitchen through the closed fridge door. Made her put it in the freezer, could STILL smell it, made her throw it out.

Wow!!! Sorry for all the commotion created about real butter, but today i visited the organic tiangui for the first time.

Well guess what 2 expats vendors do offer real home-made butterait à very good price

The taste is really close to the real thing from nob.

Thank you to Computer guy for your knowledge about butter, it's amazing

Thank you all

Any other followers of Marlow and her marvellous mantequilla? As Julie mentioned, she now has a wee shop just north of Number4, on the opposite side of the street. The butter is there!!! :-))

Yes, I love Marlow's butter. She has butter there and I make sure to keep some in my freezer. It's salted with sea salt....not for baking.

At organico Tiangui for 2 x 1/4 lbs @ 20 pesos each

Plumeau, I can't help myself. The word for street market is tianguis, always with an 's' at the end, whether it's singular (one tianguis) or plural (two or more tianguis).

CostCo in Zapopan had tons of Kirkland unsalted butter in both sizes today, Thursday December 3, 2015. $132p for TWO 454g packages.

EIFT: I made a serious mistake yesterday... looking at the package, I thought the whole thing was 454g. So the price is actually $66p per, which is substantially cheaper than Lurpak or any of the others.

Archived