Chapala.com Webboard

Butter

Plumeau1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The local butter whether salted or not simply does not taste the same as NOB butter. I was very happy with Marlowe's Marvellous Mantiquilla when it was available but it seems to have disappeared. Have tried one or two (salted) from the Monday/Tuesday markets but not terribly impressed so far. Just tastes too much like local (and yes that is simply my opinion ). I would be delighted to know of any new options. Otherwise guess I will just have to suffer! Man, life is tough here!!

I found artisanal butter in a french bakery ( Francesa ) southside of the Carratera just beside the restaurant Don Pedro, just before Rio Chamela, main entrance to Rancho Del Oro, great croissants also. For the butter it comes quite close to the real thing, but not always in stock

Where fan some one find real butter, not mantequilla stuff, here at Lakeside?

Thank you!!!

Computer Guy will know,it's one of his favorite subjects,maybe he'll weigh in on it.;)

I'm delirious with joy, it's a butter thread! Travis, Computer Guy, where are you? It's a butter thread!

Just for the record, I buy and love Kirkland butter, sin sal, made in the USA by Tillamook, according to another poster on this board--in one of our many butter threads. When I want a little salt on my butter (for example, on toast), I just sprinkle some on. Works for me.

I am from France and I buy mantequilla Lala.

If you check the label carefullly, you'll find this butter is imported from, I seem to remember, Nicaragua it's not local.

Lyncott Untable - spreadable lightly salted butter - is imported from Wisconsin.

Super Lake has imported Organic Valley salted butter at a more than reasonable price.

The word that comes to mind for most Mexican butter is rancid, but that's only because I can't quite place it. It has an odd smell that is noticeable at any restaurant that cooks shrimp or anything else in butter. Google found me a page that shows all kinds of reasons for odd tastes: http://www.webexhibits.org/butter/off.html

So, like most people on this board who are sensitive to that taste and smell, I buy CostCo or Lurpak or one of the other imported types at SuperLake. Mostly CostCo, because while SuperLake usually carries it, it's more economical to get the packages at CostCo. Because while I really like butter and use it frequently at times, I don't need to be paying 9 or 10 bucks a half-pound.

Lecithin is an added ingredient to Mexican butter to keep it from melting so fast in our heat. It is harmless but does impart a flavor that most of us are not used to.

Ah hah Pappy - I know where you got that from - but it is not true. Lecithin is an emulsifier and its use is extremely widespread. As any cheesemaker would know, the taste of butterfat is entirely dependent on the cows diet. Sweet grass makes sweet butter. Mediocre butter is when everyones milk is all mixed together and sold as "industrial" milk. This is why Mexican dairy, to me, tastes better than Canadian butter - there is a lot of "buttercups" (cinquefoil) they are unable to control, which makes the milk bitter.

Again, as Hensley noted, the small, artisan dairy farms in Mexico would be the best choice here for butter and cream for ice cream.

edit: wow - producing milk can get real complicated!

http://www.farminfo.org/dairy/flavor-m.htm

I guess butter snobs exist all over the world, but none more so, than in Ireland. The Irish don't like American butter or anyone else's. I think Chillin is correct, it's the cow and the diet, as ice cream tastes better in Ireland. The climate and grazing conditions (always green pastures of many grasses not found or used elsewhere) are important.

Doesn't anyone remember that lived on a farm in the north, how milk changed it's taste in the spring when bovines returned to the pastures for a new grass diet?

The king of butter in Ireland is Kerry Gold, sadly not available here, barely enough for export for a few Brits and little to the east coast of the US.

Buy your own special cow, a small pasture for exceptional grass, a hand cranked churn......problem solved.

I grew up drinking milk from Jersey and Gurnsey cows, delivered daily by the Rosebud Creamery to our doorstep. It was so rich that it would probably be illegal now. The cream that rose to the top was spreadable and the butter was.....well, really buttery.

I grew up drinking milk from Jersey and Gurnsey cows, delivered daily by the Rosebud Creamery to our doorstep. It was so rich that it would probably be illegal now. The cream that rose to the top was spreadable and the butter was.....well, really buttery.

The butterfat content of milk from Jerseys is so high, that the little bit of milk settles to the bottom. LOL

No one probably read that link I posted, but it shows a list of dozens of reasons why butter tastes different.

Oh ye of little faith. I read it as far as the chemical chains and then it got beyond me. Thanks for posting it, I bookmarked it for future need.

Was at Costco on Lopez Mateo today. Had Kirkland butter on my list....none on the freezer. Disappointed.

When I go to the U.S. I buy at least 4-6 pounds of salted butter, double wrap in bubble wrap then freeze it. After putting it in the middle of my suitcase it is still cold when I get home. Am down to my last pound as I forgot it in the hotel freezer a few weeks ago. :-(

We may be in for a dry spell... this happened last year. CostCo had reached its quota of imports for a number of items, and Kirkland butter disappeared for a long time. A number of things I've ordered lately, including the butter... items that are usually always available, like baby spinach... have not been on the shelves.

Bad timing, 'cause when Christmas gets here, I use tons of butter.

Archived