Chapala.com Webboard

Speakers Wanted. Share your passion or expertise.

TrueBrit

Every year at LCS we hold the Neill James Lecture Series. Despite its rather formal name, the series is basically talks given by any one of us who would like to share something with the lakeside community. They will happen on a Tuesday afternoon for an hour starting in December (LCS Sala 2pm).

If you would like to participate, contact me here or PM me. If you think you might want to participate we could help with a presentation and hand-hold all the way. It is a very friendly atmosphere, not at all intimidating, and could be a great way to start out with that special something you have always wanted to share.

The only topics that we can't accept (partly due to LCS policy) are topics where you might be selling something, political or religious proselytizing, or personal life stories. LCS has reaffirmed its mission to keep us all mentally active and challenge us with a bit of learning - if you think your topic would not be out of place in a TED talk, then it could be just right for the series.

I know there is a lot of hidden expertise lakeside, please share it with your friends.

I believe the reference is to personal life stories, and while perhaps a bit vague, means no whining, harping, or self-affirmation junk. Anyone can do that.

The only problem I see is that for many, the interesting thing they can talk about is also their profession and could be interpreted as selling something.

Where is the fine line drawn?

I only volunteered to recruit speakers and not screen the content. What I understood was not wanted was selling a product or service (should be obvious), proselytizing a cause, religious or political (again, hopefully obvious) and the last criteria was the avoidance of the personal life-story or event. Examples of these would be a slide show of a trip to Copper Canyon, or how crystals healed my psoriasis.

My particular fascination is with information on the internet, so I am looking at subjects like the psychology of conspiracy theories, what are memes and how to create one, has the internet changed our perception of truth, etc. You may have other interests - given the widespread expectation of negative criticism on online forums, perhaps a talk on the behavior theory in relation to web-boards, for example.

Archived