Chapala.com Webboard

GPS Selection Help

I would have thought that this subject would be of interest to many on this site and do not understand the reason for the PM instead of an open discussion. Even you might have benefitted from the open discusion.

Even I? I didn't want to bore everyone with a topic where I am looking for help. It is also a lot easier for a back and forth about my particular wants/needs in a PM than on this board. But nothing prevents all interested in going forward here.

An Android cell phone with a GPS app such as "Here", which is free and does not use data, might be an attractive alternative. The Telcel monthly plan is MXN$200 for 400 Mgbs of data. You can get an unlocked Blu smart phone for under US$200 on Amazon. I use Here on my Samsung phone and find that it is very accurate wherever I travel in Mexico or abroad.

The choice of choice is a Garmin with City Navigator® Mexico NT mapping software.

Cellphone GPS navigation is a cruel joke on those who who don't know better.

Is Nokia Here Drive a GPS replacement?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-applications/245122-nokia-here-drive-gps-replacement.html

This works WITHOUT the use of a data plan, can run off the GPS satellite only (no cost)...

Audi, BMW and Daimler Near Deal to Buy Nokia Mapping Service

http://www.wsj.com/articles/german-car-makers-audi-bmw-and-daimler-to-buy-nokia-here-1437493575

The problem for me in using either my Garmin, or now the GPS in my car, is entering the address.

I may know the correct address but more often then not when entering the street name in Guadalajara

I am told they cannot find that street. Any suggestions?

It may help to use Google Earth and locate the address, then obtain the GPS co-ordinates to place into the Garmin.

You can also use the cross street intersection to help for location.

The problem for me in using either my Garmin, or now the GPS in my car, is entering the address.

I may know the correct address but more often then not when entering the street name in Guadalajara

I am told they cannot find that street. Any suggestions?

Maybe the street you are looking for is actually in Zapopan or Tonala.

I have a new Navigator V GPS with the latest Garmin Mexico maps. Frankly they aren't very good. On a recent trip to Michoacan the unit was unable to find its way through most of the towns. It kept sending me the wrong way until I ignored it and started using the moto's built in compass and the few street signs.

Interestingly, a friend of mine uses navigation on his cell phone and that seems to work a whole lot better. As far as addresses go, I suspect there are just too many duplicate and incorrect addresses in this country for that to work well.

My experience is that the GPS was a waste of money because the maps and routing just aren't good enough yet. Maybe in a few years...

The Garmin Nuvi 2589LMT is $200 and comes preloaded with maps of US, Canada and Mexico. Lifetime map updates. Garmin Express is a download from Garmin that makes map updates easy, and it sits on your desktop and you plug the unit into your PC or Mac via USB and it takes it from there. I have used various Garmin units for over 8 years without hardly a hitch. It will retain locations in memory for repeat trips. www.thegpsstore.com is a good retailer.

It appears that many navigation programs require precise street names. For example, you might enter an address on Madero in Chapala and find that it is not accepted. Then, you might scratch your brain and remember that it is F. I. Madero and get rejected again because the system wants Francisco I. Madero, and nothing else. So, it seems one must know the complete and proper street name to enter into the navigational device. Those names are not usually complete on street signs, but are readily available on those wonderful large scale maps.

Ironic, isn‘t it?

The Garmin Nuvi 2589LMT is $200 and comes preloaded with maps of US, Canada and Mexico. Lifetime map updates. Garmin Express is a download from Garmin that makes map updates easy, and it sits on your desktop and you plug the unit into your PC or Mac via USB and it takes it from there. I have used various Garmin units for over 8 years without hardly a hitch. It will retain locations in memory for repeat trips. www.thegpsstore.com is a good retailer.

What Tom said.

If you don't mind a few extra dollars, the Garmin 2797 has a 7 inch screen and lifetime maps. We love it for the visibility. We've been using Garmin gps in Mexico for 8 years. During the first couple of years we had a couple of hiccups but in the last few years it has been terrific. We use it in Guad and on trips around Mexico.

I have used a couple of Garmin GPS's over the last 9 years here, they have worked just about flawlessly all over Mexico and NOB.

I Now use a Garmin 3495 which has voice activation .. Never leave home without it.

Of course you have to enter the CORRECT address .. Which here in Mexico is not always easy to do..

A few weeks ago I download the app "Here" to my cell phone, then used them both on a trip, the phone app is absolutely S€%# compared to a Garmin or a TomTom..

I have used a couple of Garmin GPS's over the last 9 years here, they have worked just about flawlessly all over Mexico and NOB.

I Now use a Garmin 3495 which has voice activation .. Never leave home without it.

Of course you have to enter the CORRECT address .. Which here in Mexico is not always easy to do..

A few weeks ago I download the app "Here" to my cell phone, then used them both on a trip, the phone app is absolutely S€%# compared to a Garmin or a TomTom..

Interesting., because I have had exactly the opposite experience with Garmin getting lost or telling me to go the wrong way on the pereferico and other one way streets. I had to use Here to get me out of the maze that Garmin got me into. But, like a lot of these devices, everyone has a different experience. Just use what you are most comfortable with.

Here's a tip that combines what off roaders do, and what long distance truck drivers do. Get a good, up to date map book from Guia Roja. Take it to a copy shop and enlarge/copy the pages you use the most to the largest size they have available (equivalent to 11" by 17") make a few copies if you want. Then plot your course as "crib notes", writing down each turn on a piece of paper, that will end up stuck to the middle of your steering wheel. Don't be afraid to markup your large format copies with landmarks, comments, etc. A GPS is only useful to mark co-ordinates for finding landmarks, interesting businesses you would like to visit, interesting photos to take. You can also help other people by giving them an extra copy of the map, writing on arrows, advice, etc.It's like getting an old fashioned treasure map.

Finding your way is hard work, but for me there is no worse feeling than getting lost - whether in open oceans, forests, or downtown Guadalajara.

Archived