Chapala.com Webboard

Several Basic Telecable channels in ENGLISH

Natasha

For the times when 84 - 87 are out due to rain, wind, or any other excuse, you can actually see quite a few Telecable channels in the Basic package in English! This came as a huge surprise to me when last Sunday a.m. (as usual lately no 84) I put Animal Planet on our older TV and it was in ENGLISH. Went downstairs and turned the same channel on (10 month-old flat screen) and SPANISH only!

Went to Telecable to ask. Guys standing outside said something about SAP...... of no value whatsoever to a techno-dino (thank you to whomever posted that wonderful term!) so went in and the young lady very kindly offered to send a techie out to the house.

He came Thursday. Yes, Auto SAP was already on the older (second-hand -- smarter owner than I) TV. I have no idea what that means, but since they'd mentioned it, had tried to find that option in the interim with user manual a/o remote for the newer TV, but to no avail. Naturally he found it in seconds, applied it, and voila! Made him wait while I wrote down the steps ^_^ in case I forget again!

Also took this info to a friend a few doors way who speaks no Spanish and was bemoaning the fact that when 84-87 go out she's bereft. Well, this method worked on her TV too..... am guessing it's pretty much universal. So if you want a few more English options in the Basic package, drop in to the local office and make an appt. and a nice young man will come and help you out! (No idea if any of them speak English..... you might like to check that part.)

And no raspberries from the techie gallery invited! :019: ...... some of us are terrible in that department, but can run circles around you in other areas.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_audio_program

I have one TV that has it. Many newer sets do not have it.

The SAP on Telecable, since it changed owners, has gone down. There were twice as many SAP channels before and they can broadcast now in SAP but figure making us change to digital makes them more money. There are channels in English on digital that are in Spanish even with SAP on basic.

The SAP on Telecable, since it changed owners, has gone down. There were twice as many SAP channels before and they can broadcast now in SAP but figure making us change to digital makes them more money. There are channels in English on digital that are in Spanish even with SAP on basic.

SAP is also available on the digital channels. It's often available when the program you are watching is dubbed into Spanish. Although most of the time it seems that the SAP Language is English, I have watched German films where when you choose SAP, the audio is German, one time I even heard one in Dutch.

(which I loved as I used to live in the Netherlands and in Bavaria some 50 years ago

That's what I thought too --- and was unable to locate SAP on our new TV. However, the tech guy found it via a method I would never have found in a million years. It has to do with the button "MTS" on our particular remote. However, as he told me, and I found when at my friend's house, it's not the same on all.

On our new TV, going to audio via menu led to options including English, but that choice was in greyscale and not available. And going that route there was no mention of SAP anywhere....... In her case, we went to audio, then found a menu of audio options, and sure enough, MTS was one of them. Once we got there, it was easy to select SAP from the choices it offered.

By the way, same tech told me when they switch to full digital, it will come on the lower channels as well as the upper, and as long as you are connected to a cable service, there will be no problems. (I was concerned about our 2006 model). I guess all the ads on Mexican news channels re: reception after digital changeover are directed at those who have NO cable connection, and rely on antennae. They will have to make some changes in order to continue using their older TV's.

By the way, same tech told me when they switch to full digital, it will come on the lower channels as well as the upper, and as long as you are connected to a cable service, there will be no problems. (I was concerned about our 2006 model). I guess all the ads on Mexican news channels re: reception after digital changeover are directed at those who have NO cable connection, and rely on antennae. They will have to make some changes in order to continue using their older TV's.

Did the tech tell WHEN they plan to switch to full digital? This is the first I've heard of it. Guess this means we'll have to shell out the big bucks and join Johanson ^_^

If you have the digital box and set it up using the digital box's remote control, you can select the language shown and the preferred broadcast language.

It is the same as SAP but without going through the TV set. SKY satellite has the language selection on the remote.

Since the management change, I went with digital so that I get more English channels.

Just for the heck of it, I went back to the analog channels on Telecable and tried to see how many I could get in English using the secondary audio alternative settings.

At the time I tried, around 5 to 5:30 PM, I got the following in English. Channels 18, 25, 27, 30, 36, 38, 39, 41, 47, 48, 50, 51, 56, 61, 62, 63, 68, 69, 73, 78, 81, 84, 85, 86, & 87.

The last Spanish channel I looked at on analog was the Paramount channel which is on channel 90 and is/was only in Spanish. Just for the heck of it, I tried the same channel in digital HD on channel 785. On digital HD it was in either Spanish or English (SAP)

Have I checked the digital channels to see how many have Secondary audio options? Good gracious no. :) That would take all day.

EDIT: I would like to add that those channels that had secondary English programming often advertised in Spanish. Also at different times of the day sometimes the programming is only in Spanish, not offering a secondary language.

Did the tech tell WHEN they plan to switch to full digital? This is the first I've heard of it. Guess this means we'll have to shell out the big bucks and join Johanson ^_^

All of Mexico is going digital. Jalisco will do it by sometime in December. But, as the tech explained to me, those of us in the cheap seats at Telecabe (2 - 95) will still be able to receive signals as if nothing happened.

All of Mexico is going digital. Jalisco will do it by sometime in December. But, as the tech explained to me, those of us in the cheap seats at Telecabe (2 - 95) will still be able to receive signals as if nothing happened.

Yes analog is only disappearing to those without cable. But cablecompanies can continue offering analog channels after that date if they want. The only reason for those companies to don't keep them is to avoid people robbing the signal.

Still, going digital with telecable only costs 30 pesos per month extra, or 70 pesos extra for some extra channels you don't have in the analog package, not that much extra for pretty many more channels and options. It is pretty worth it as it gives more channels and many in english too, and more easy use of the tv guide and so on. Really loved the digital service of Telecable when i still had it.

Archived