Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican or Residente Permanente Bring In US Plated Car?

pedro malo

I'm wondering if anyone has information on whether a Residente Permanente or a Mexican Citizen can bring a US plated car into Mexico on a Temporary Importation Permit?

I'm a RP and my wife is a Mexican born citizen. We'd like to bring house stuff from our US home to our home Lakeside. Could I bring in my US plated pickup on the TIP as a Residente Permanente or could my Mexican wife if I put the truck title and registration in her name? I have a Mexican neighbor who had a US plated car and took it to Mexico on vacation. Can we do this legally too?

Any information or personal experiences appreciated!

I'll have to ask how my neighbor did it. He is Mexican and lives in Joco. He also holds US citizenship. He went to the US on vacation where he has a US plated car and drove the car back to Joco. He must have done it as a US citizen with a TIP?

Actually, snowy is not correct. Mexicans living in the U.S. can get a TIP good for 180 days and bring a car into Mexico to visit family, etc., and return NOB. My wife has done it.

Your Mexican neighbor came in as a US citizen, not a Mexican, and he came on a visitor permit. Happens a lot, as Mexicans from NOB often want to keep their US cars, and they go back every 6 months.

• Like 1

Actually, snowy is not correct. Mexicans living in the U.S. can get a TIP good for 180 days and bring a car into Mexico to visit family, etc., and return NOB. My wife has done it.

Your Mexican neighbor came in as a US citizen, not a Mexican, and he came on a visitor permit. Happens a lot, as Mexicans from NOB often want to keep their US cars, and they go back every 6 months.

Thank you Jim!

So would my wife need to be a US citizen to get the TIP or is a US Permanent Residency card enough?

A Mexican National with proof of dual citizenship or living in the US with a US Permanent Resident visa/card with proof of Mexican Citizenship can get a TIP good for 12 months with multiple exits and entries for a total of 6 months in Mexico with the vehicle every 12 month period.

• Like 1

A Mexican National with proof of dual citizenship or living in the US with a US Permanent Resident visa/card with proof of Mexican Citizenship can get a TIP good for 12 months with multiple exits and entries for a total of 6 months in Mexico with the vehicle every 12 month period.

YES!! Thank you Alan and Jim!

Both sets of answers are correct - and I apologize for not answering all the questions about both you and your wife.

When replying to multi-question posts, people on this board have generally answered only some of the questions. Not answering all questions doesn't seem to be a big issue(?)
I wrote that the foreign person (husband) with the Residente Permanente could not temporarily import the car.
Clearly, the Mexican citizen wife could temporarily import the car. The 2 issues are mutually exclusive.

Re the remaining question bringing in a load of household goods in that TIP vehicle: Since the couple also wants to bring in a load of goods .... It's worth noting that at some border crossings, we've had Aduana agents apply duties on the load, when the vehicle is in the name of a Mexican citizen. ... It happened that way with my Mexican wife and I, where I could bring in a load of goods under a Menaje de Casa list, but because we put the vehicles in my wife's name, Aduana insisted on charging duties on the load.

In the interest of offering pertinent details on all questions asked: If you put the vehicle in your wife's name, and Aduana wants to charge duties on your load of household goods, it may be easier or worthwhile to enter Mexico during one of the annual Paisano program periods to avoid paying unnecessary duties.

http://www.paisano.gob.mx/

In the past, the Paisano program operated from the holidays of early November- early January, summer, and during Semana Santa.

"El periodo del Programa Paisano para el ejercicio 2015, será el siguiente:
  • Semana Santa: 13 de marzo al 13 de abril de 2015.
  • Verano: 12 de junio al 17 de agosto de 2015.
  • Invierno: 1 de noviembre de 2015 al 8 de enero de 2016 "

If his Mexican wife is moving back to Mexico, why would this not apply?

People who can make importing your household goods without payment of taxes on foreign trade are:

• Mexican students or researchers.
  • Residents in the border area or region.
  • Or Mexican immigrants repatriated or deported.

SOURCE translated by Google: http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/pasajeros/Paginas/Menaje_casa.aspx

Both sets of answers are correct - and I apologize for not answering all the questions about both you and your wife.

When replying to multi-question posts, people on this board have generally answered only some of the questions. Not answering all questions doesn't seem to be a big issue(?)

I wrote that the foreign person (husband) with the Residente Permanente could not temporarily import the car.

Clearly, the Mexican citizen wife could temporarily import the car. The 2 issues are mutually exclusive.

Re the remaining question bringing in a load of household goods in that TIP vehicle: Since the couple also wants to bring in a load of goods .... It's worth noting that at some border crossings, we've had Aduana agents apply duties on the load, when the vehicle is in the name of a Mexican citizen. ... It happened that way with my Mexican wife and I, where I could bring in a load of goods under a Menaje de Casa list, but because we put the vehicles in my wife's name, Aduana insisted on charging duties on the load.

In the interest of offering pertinent details on all questions asked: If you put the vehicle in your wife's name, and Aduana wants to charge duties on your load of household goods, it may be easier or worthwhile to enter Mexico during one of the annual Paisano program periods to avoid paying unnecessary duties.

http://www.paisano.gob.mx/

In the past, the Paisano program operated from the holidays of early November- early January, summer, and during Semana Santa.

"El periodo del Programa Paisano para el ejercicio 2015, será el siguiente:

• Semana Santa: 13 de marzo al 13 de abril de 2015.
  • Verano: 12 de junio al 17 de agosto de 2015.
  • Invierno: 1 de noviembre de 2015 al 8 de enero de 2016 "

Excellent advise snowyco! This is very advantageous to know. Between the 3 of you, I'll now be able to plot my failsafe strategy. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experience with us. Thanks!

??
The last category of "Mexican immigrants repatriated" could work, unless Aduana argued (as they did in our case) that since Pedro Malo's wife is filing legal applications to only come back temporarily, ( not repatriating) in the form of applying to only temporarily import the vehicle, then she is not actually repatriating.

If all Mexicans returning to Mexico qualified under the SAT clause listed above, there would seem to be no need for the Paisano Program (?)

Can a Mexican wife, with dual citizenship (with one foot still in the USA and still with legal obligations to the USA), , who also has a US citizen husband, a dual citizen who is simultaneously appliing for a temporary vehicle permit, simultaneously also convince Aduana that they are not just temporarily in Mexico, instead by somehow proving that they are repatriating ?

Note that the "repatriating" clause mentions returning to Mexico due being forcibly deported back to Mexico, in the same breath, meaning that SAT intends that the applicant really is not planning on a temporary life in Mexico.

??

The last category of "Mexican immigrants repatriated" could work, unless Aduana argued (as they did in our case) that since Pedro Malo's wife is filing legal applications to only come back temporarily, ( not repatriating) in the form of applying to only temporarily import the vehicle, then she is not actually repatriating.

If all Mexicans returning to Mexico qualified under the SAT clause listed above, there would seem to be no need for the Paisano Program (?)

Can a Mexican wife, with dual citizenship (with one foot still in the USA and still with legal obligations to the USA), , who also has a US citizen husband, a dual citizen who is simultaneously appliing for a temporary vehicle permit, simultaneously also convince Aduana that they are not just temporarily in Mexico, instead by somehow proving that they are repatriating ?

Note that the "repatriating" clause mentions returning to Mexico due being forcibly deported back to Mexico, in the same breath, meaning that SAT intends that the applicant really is not planning on a temporary life in Mexico.

Good point snowyco.

Where did you find the Paisano Program dates on the Segob website? I can't find them listed there. Thanks.

Can the RP husband drive the US plated car while in Mexico? I thought not and not sure the relevancy because the op didn't ask.

Very good question since I plan on doing all the driving. Anyone know this answer?

Can the RP husband drive the US plated car while in Mexico? I thought not and not sure the relevancy because the op didn't ask.

Yes, any spouse or family member with a legal license can drive the temporarily imported vehicle.

Article 106 of the Ley Aduanera still continues to apply. It is worthwhile to carry a copy of Article 106 in the car, printed in both English and Spanish versions. If stopped by police who question who is allowed to drive the temporarily imported car, showing them a copy of Article 106, part 4, quickly resolves any issues.

~ Copy of Article 106 to Carry in Your Car

So could the TIP still be applied for online, given it is a Mexican national with US Permanent Residency applying? Seems like the selections and categories for the TIP application are worded towards foreigners (Extranjeros) on the website. Would a Mexican with US Residency apply for the TIP in person at border?

• 4 years later...

My husband, a Mexican national with US Permanent Residency is trying to get a TIP but under the "Current Nationality / (Nacionalidad Actual)" Mexican is not an option. What is he to select? He is still a Mexican citizen with a US Permanent Residency. Please if anyone can provide some guidance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mexican nationals living abroad may obtain a TIP as per here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/vehicles.html