Chapala.com Webboard

Microsoft to push Win 10 into automatic updates?

Sea

Has anyone heard about this from another source? The Daily Mail isn't the first place I would turn to for tech news. Article says Microsoft plans to push Win 10 into recommended updates next year, because "everybody loves it"? Did some project manager say that just to infuriate happy Win 7 users? Cause it's working.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3297619/Don-t-want-Windows-10-Check-settings-Microsoft-begin-automatically-upgrading-user-s-machines.html

So where does it say "ëverybody loves it"?

The article clearly states: -----

['Early next year, we expect to be re-categorizing Windows 10 as a 'Recommended Update'.
'Depending upon your Windows Update settings, this may cause the upgrade process to automatically initiate on your device.'
'Before the upgrade changes the OS of your device, you will be clearly prompted to choose whether or not to continue.
'And of course, if you choose to upgrade (our recommendation!), then you will have 31 days to roll back to your previous Windows version if you don't love it.']
In the not too distant future Microsoft will cease to support 7&8 as they no do with xp - which a LOT of commercial machines still use.
Anyway, I agree with you re the Mail. I read it online everyday just to see how many "Outraged" and "Hilarious" they have.

a little more clarity

windows 7 mainstream support end date 1/13/2015 - no new service packs

windows 7 extended support end date1/14/2020 - no more security updates i.e. you can depend on Windows 7 for another 5 years, which is what I intend to do

"Everybody loves it". I'd say 5% of my customers with W10 "love it" or are just okay with it. The rest? No.

Even when the current problems are fixed, my problem continues to be with the interface. The W7 interface was just fine. The underlying changes to Windows for version 10 have done nothing to improve that, and in fact have made it murkier than ever. On top of that, "app" activities have slowed everything down. So, in my estimation, screwing up the interface and slowing things down is not an improvement, no matter how many bugs get fixed.

Not trying to be Negative Ned here, but I am constantly using computers, often five, six, seve ndifferent ones every day, and that's how it shakes out for me.

Computerguy, what about your customers that upgraded from Win8? What do they say? Are they happy doing away with the Start screen?

Not a whole lot of people have upgraded. A few, because I have advised them to wait. Others, because of a myriad of problems they encountered after the upgrade, so they downgraded. I think everyone appreciates that they don't have to see that Metro Start screen. However, the new Start/programs menu is so dark, so large, and so cluttered, I'm not sure if they are enjoying it at all. Don't really have enough data right now to give you a satisfactory answer.

And for non-techies, the inconsistency in the Start menu is glaring: MS apps cannot be dragged onto the desktop to make shortcuts; only non-MS apps. Why not?

Right-clicking on the expanded Start app icons now has different menus that users need to be aware of, while many programs on the Start have no right-click functionality at all. And of course there is the Power Menu, accessed by right-clicking on the Start button itself, which now displays a lot of the items that were on the W7 right-side Start menu.

I reluctantly went in and turned off the automatic download settings for my Win7 OS. It's a hassle to manually supervise this, but there are a number of settings that you can use. Also, it's a little early since this change to recommended program is supposed to happen next year. That's how much I don't want Win 10 on any of my gaming systems. You generally hear complaints more than things that are working fine, but there are a lot of program incompatibilities. People are setting back to their previous OS a lot.

To change your settings in Win 7, you can go into Start - Control Panel in the options on the left. Then Windows Updates - change settings - Important settings.

Sounds to me like going to Win10 at this time is not a great idea, better to wait a while. Many things about Win8 are awkward but I know it well enough that it`s manageable. Win10 was touted as the "fix" for the awkwardness of Win8 particularly around the Start menu craziness, but Win10 doesn´t sound any better generally. I appreciate all the feedback people have given about it especially yours, Computerguy.

As I reflect back on the various iterations of Windows, I can see the progression: things get moved around, we complain, we eventually get used to them. But from XP through W7, while the interface improved a lot, it managed to keep everything in pretty much the same place, with the same properties (eg: right-click menus). Then W8 botched that by making a tablet interface for your computer (which works great on tablets, by the way).

Unfortunately, while eventually we will get used to W10's interface, it is missing a lot of "ease-of-use" stuff. However, that's not as important as the one overarching factor to me: it adds nothing to the computer itself! There is no improvement in use, no improvement in speed, no improvement in email. It remains to be seen whether Edge is an improvement over Internet Explorer. And Microsoft is now controlling all the data on your computer. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/

"By default Windows 10 Home is allowed to control your bandwidth usage, install any software it wants whenever it wants (without providing detailed information on what these updates do), display ads in the Start Menu (currently it has been limited to app advertisements), send your hardware details and any changes you make to Microsoft and even log your browser history and keystrokes which the Windows End User Licence Agreement (EULA) states you allow Microsoft to use for analysis.")

So if it offers no improvement, and we are now "under the thumb", so to speak, I can't see why it's needed. My impression is there's a lot of bouncing around by the design team, going "Look what we did! Ain't it cool?"

I realize this all sounds very Debbie Downer; all I can say is it makes helping customers that much more difficult for me, and that much more difficult for them to learn.

I actually have 8.1 on this computer and it is a pain in the neck compared to the 7 I have on another computer. I'm thinking about having someone change this one to 7 too.

I'm not going to install software that spies on me. We have enough problem with this already.

I just bought two chrome books and it was so easy to set up. Had problems on my I7 laptop with the upgrade. Decided it was a good time to move on. Not sure if I will go to 10 on my All in one. I checked they will ask you before 10 is installed but it will be downloaded to your PC. All computer companies are evil including google but a Chromebook is so simple and easy to use. I am sick of learning new stuff when 100% of my use is web based when I travel. Nice to have one MS PC to support instead of three. Your mileage may vary. Computer guy also brings up some very good points about 10.

Archived