Chapala.com Webboard

Rosario gets her new adaptive stroller at Perry's this Saturday

TrueBrit

PERRY'S PIZZA. SATURDAY 17th OCTOBER, 1PM
FREE-ish BEER. GREAT PIZZA and ROSARIO

I hope you can join us this Saturday at Perry's Pizza in Ajijic (it is on Guadalupe Victoria - between Encarnacion Rosa and Aldama. It's sort of behind Farmacia Guadalajara and Ajijic SIMAPA)

Thanks to your donations we are finally able to give Rosario all the things we've been accumulating for her. The carrier arrived yesterday, so once I've figured where all the straps go, we will try it out on Rosario. Fingers crossed. We have therapy equipment, strollers, the carrier, meds, clothes and other stuff.

Bring a packet of diapers (size 11Kg) and get a FREE BEER!
Come and enjoy a very special moment - best pizza on lakeside, free beer* and a big warm and fuzzy. We'll see you there!

It is such a shame that I --and probably others --do not know what you're talking about. Is Rosario a pet? A child? On Saturday, the 17th, in addition to the "free-ish" beer does this gathering continue to be a fundraiser? Or are those attending simply welcome to order pizza at their own expense?

Lexy

Lexie, if you go to the "Search" at the top right of this page and type in "Rosario Fundraiser" you will find another posting that explains all about Rosario who definitely is not a pet. If you miss the link that tells all about Rosario when you go to the search as described ... In about the first sentence of the smallish print on that page is a "go here" for you to click on.

As far as the details of the event at Perry's ... just reading between the lines, so to speak, I am sure that any donation would be appreciated ... by the poster using the words "freeish" when it comes to the "free beer" coupled with the request for diapers for that "free" beer, you might surmise that the beer isn't really free, but that Perry's Restaurant is willing to front the cost of the beer if you come with a pack of diapers for Rosario. As for the pizza, I don't read anything in the post to make me believe that it will be free.

Hope this helps ... if I am off the mark "reading between the lines so to speak" ... then, maybe someone will correct me.

Thank you, Luke. My thought was that as it stands the message lacks needed information to attract attention to what apparently is a worthy cause. You gave me information that I assume the poster also knows. Why not post it in the first place?

It's very clear now from the facts supplied by others, prompted by my post. My point is, had the op described these things--even if it is a repeat of information for some people--help and funds would continue if more people were inspired to go Perry's on the 17th.

I am not being critical of the OP. I'm suggesting there's a better way. Give facts when you post, give facts that are needed for an event like this, give facts so that care continues.

I'm so glad to read of every effort this community makes in behalf of needy children, needy families. Suffering animals, too. I am proud of us. I'm pleased that this little girl got such beneficial help.

Lexy

It is such a shame that I --and probably others --do not know what you're talking about. Is Rosario a pet? A child? On Saturday, the 17th, in addition to the "free-ish" beer does this gathering continue to be a fundraiser? Or are those attending simply welcome to order pizza at their own expense?

Lexy

When Rosario was born six years ago, after a 19 hour complicated labor, the doctors had bad news for Maria and Jesus, Rosario's parents. Rosario was blind, unable to move and prone to continuous seizures. The doctors did not think she would survive more than a year.

Six years later, Rosario’s condition has improved slightly in that her seizures have been controlled by medication, but she is currently suffering from limb contractures due to lack of movement, and still needs 24 hour care. This is very difficult for her parents who have five other school aged children. Jesus feels lucky to have a job, but it pays very little, and money is scarce.

Among the many tasks they must do to care for Rosario, Maria takes her to Guadalajara three times a week for physical therapy. She has to take three buses and walk a considerable distance, all the while carrying a limp 6 year old, who cannot even support her head, and all the supplies needed for the day (diapers, pureed food, medical documents, etc.) For a 9 am appointment in Guadalajara, Maria and Rosario will set off at 6:30 am and get back to the village at about 5 pm.

Our plan is to get a solution for the transportation problem. We are going to get her splints and braces that have been recommended to try and help with the limb contractures. And we are going to help out with diapers which are a continual expense for the family.Her needs are quite specialized, so the equipment is expensive. But I am sure there are enough generous hearts out there that can help Rosario.

For more info and how you can help, visit http://prylett.wix.com/help4rosario

You can leave me a message or reply to the post. Thank you.

• 2 years later...

I received this just now:

Sad news of Rosario

I received a message from Rosario’s mum yesterday morning that Rosario had passed away.  I went round to Rosario’s house as soon as I could.  The traditional tent that spans the street set up by the funeral home was already in place.  Rows of chairs were under the shade and prayers were being said by friends, family and neighbors.  The first 24 hours is the velario, a vigil that is maintained outside the house of the deceased.  Nine days of prayer will follow (the novenario).  The street is blocked by the tent, but no-one objects.  Their house is on a bus route; the buses take another route.  No problem.

I went in Rosario’s house and in the front room the body of Rosario had been lovingly dressed in a pink and white satin funeral outfit and placed on her mattress on the coffee table.  She was lying on her side, the gauze pad that always covered her one natural eye still in place.  The family had bent some wire and added some pink and white crepe paper decorations to give the mattress some reverence.  It was such a moving site to see. Her dad was bent over the table sobbing inconsolably.  He is a big, intimidating fellow who had a reputation of a village tough boy in his youth.  Family and kids changed that – but none more so than Rosario.  He would bring her to the soccer games and carry her around the village.  He was absolutely broken at that moment.  There were others in the room too, all looking quite shell shocked.

I passed through the front room to the back kitchen in search of Rosario’s mum.  She was with a group of women who were preparing food for the mourners.  She has always been the strong one in handling Rosario’s problems.  When we hugged, it was her excuse to stop being stoic and let it all out. We sobbed together.  After I had expressed the traditional and quite useless words of condolence, she gave me a brief update on what happened.  From what I understood, they found her unresponsive after her usual nap.  And it was obvious that she had died in her sleep. 

I went back into the living room and put my arm around her dad.  All he could do, between sobs, was ask me why she left. 

By four in the afternoon, about a hundred people had gathered outside and the funeral home people had arrived with a little white coffin.  Rosario was almost nine, but she was the size and weight of a five year old.  Instead of putting her in the coffin, four pall bearers lifted the coffee table on their shoulders and left for the cemetery.  The family tied some pink and white helium balloons to the coffee table and draped a small white sheet over her.  Her mum and dad walked behind.  The procession snaked through the cobble streets, through the village center on the two mile walk to the Pantheon (cemetery).  All the way, the women mourners sang traditional prayers.

77B6940E64154D92A5032564868E457B.thumb.jpg.bf94e98b4bd3d977543d291346aa7195.jpg

We arrived at the cemetery and after 30 minutes of prayers and singing, Rosario was taken to her little grave.  She was put in the coffin only at the last moment before she was lowered into the ground.  The crowd by this time had swollen to about 200. Her three brothers and a sister were having a rough time of it.  The youngest refused to enter the Pantheon; the eldest stayed a distance from the gravesite wanting to be alone.  It was a quiet afternoon, broken only by the sobbing of Rosario’s parents.  The sun was shining and the birds singing.  It was all wrong.  Parents shouldn’t bury their kids.  It’s the wrong order.

I drifted away from the graveside and returned home thankfully without running into anyone.  I will visit the house tomorrow with food and money, and a flowery description of how she is now running with the angels designed to somehow console the obviously inconsolable.

One thing I do believe will offer her mum a little sliver of comfort is knowing how many souls Rosario touched.  She couldn’t believe people in US and Canada, France and Scotland, England and Italy were helping out her little ‘chaparrita’.  In a small village like this, it is unusual to be known beyond a very small radius.  Never in her life could she imagine that Rosario might receive condolences from countries half way around the world.

If you want to pass on a message, I will deliver it to the family.

I last saw Rosario at Christmas.  The family was in good spirits. They always were.  

Phil

Archived