Chapala.com Webboard

Just a question. Does the bus route go down Zaragoza street in Ajijic?

We have an opportunity for a house lease on Zaragoza street in Ajijic. The house appears to be what we are needing, but we have not actually seen it, nor do we know the area. Is this a street a bus route goes down, or is it a quiet street?

I lived on Zaragoza near Colon. Yes the buses run every 15/20 minutes down Zaragoza going west. Winds down in middle of evening 8 or 9pm. You get use to it but it does make your house very dusty if you have open windows to street. I got used to it. My wife hated the buses. After a while you can recognize the sound of which bus and driver as they run past. I would avoid a bus route if possible but I wouldn't let it stop me from getting a good deal or a nice house.

Depends .!

I think we'd all say that you really want to check the house out in person before making a commitment. That's true here of any place really. Because there's no zoning at all , the house could be just fine but your neighbor might be an iron worker , a diesel repair guy, raise chickens & roosters - or worse, a really bad guy

I lived on Zaragoza - it's a nice street & convenient to town but way too noisy & dusty for me. You do get somewhat accustomed but couldn't have a conversation in the living room for example . My back bedroom was fine as was the back patio but the guest bedroom was in front & guests were very uncomfortable. Forget them taking a siesta!

That being said there are some lovely places on Zaragoza and high walls would deaden the bus noise & dust and if living areas are set back enough you might be fine.

The lovely Case Flores B&B on Zaragoza for example ,is across from where I lived , & you don't hear any bus noise in there.

(Ps I did get noise from the Carretera as well)

We were so close to the plaza on Zaragoza that we would have amusement rides on the street during festival that would peer into our living room on the second story. While watching TV every five seconds faces would be waving to us. It got to be funny and our own fault but it was a great experience but we now live higher on the hill for the view and a little bit more quiet. I miss the people of the hood but it was very very noisy and not many folks could take it. We lived downtown in US so we were comfortable with city life. Mexico near the plaza is so many levels beyond anything we had lived in downtown US. Pick your home on Zaragoza carefully. It varies so much. I would say be at least 1.5 blocks from Colon to avoid noise and parking problems.

Archived