Chapala.com Webboard

Saltillo tile-where to buy

Rubia

All Saltillo tile is not made equal in quality. You might think some places are charging a lot more than others but the quality may be better. Good to buy one tile from a few different places, mark on the back where you got it, take them home and give it a little stress test- like hit the edge with something (not a hammer, that would break any of them) and see which chip or break easier. Some break if you just look at them the wrong way.

If you are doing a tiling job yourself, be aware that the Saltillo tiles, as well as the 3 or 4 inch traditional decorative tiles need to be soaked thoroughly in water before laying. Soak until the air completely stops bubbling out, then lay. Failure to do this means the tile will instantly start sucking the water out of the cement mix, and you won't get proper adhesion.

I know people who paid for tiling jobs where half the tiles fell off the wall for exactly this reason. Have seen lots of pools with lots of missing tiles as well, because the guys who did the job thought it was okay to use white cement. Pool tiles need to be adhered with "Pega Venetianos" or type 3 cement, as they are made of glass.

• Like 1

Thank you, we drove to Joco yesterday and found comparable tile for about a third less. The young lady there explained to us about the quality and showed us a variety. I have not checked with the place in San Antonio, will do that today. I have a local Ixtla man doing the tile, I hope he knows his stuff!

We purchased ours from a place in GDL on Minors Heroes and had them sealed before they shipped them to Mazatlan. After 12years they still look as good as the day installed. They were a shinier finish than what I would have liked but turned out great for us.

• 3 years later...