Chapala.com Webboard

Importing a cat

I have been told that cats cannot travel in the pressurized cabin of the plane with you but must fly cargo. My cat is very old but healthy and lively. Is the information I have correct? How do you prepare a cat to travel in cargo? I have the original fraidy cat. I can have the vet drug him for flight, but I am worried about lack of oxygen in cargo. Help!

I think you've been told wrong. I think your cat can be in the cabin under the seat ahead of you. Check with your airline of choice. Any good vet should be able to advise you on what is required in terms of paperwork, vaccines, etc before you bring your pet in. Many, many, many people do it both ways, from here to there, and from there to here.

IF you decide to fly, you have to check with individual airlines. Some DO allow pets in cabin -- some don't. Those that do charge a hefty fee, but of course you would be better having him with you than in cargo.

Get the vet to give you something to lightly sedate him, do NOT feed him the morning of travel, put a pampers-type flat diaper in the bottom of the carrier, and you will be fine.

Pets shipped in cargo are also subject to certain rules -- temperatures at time of travel, connecting lfights, etc. -- and are not always allowed. I for one would not ship a cat in cargo regardless of the preceeding.

We flew our cat in with us in cabin, supposedly in its carrier under the seat. But as soon as we were airborne, she sat in my lap and was not upset. And this was not an especially brave cat. We chose not to tranquilize her. During the wait between flights she sat up in her opened carrier and welcomed travelers who came by to say hello. The fee for traveling in the cabin was not high to us. But I have no idea what it's like today.

I would not chance having my cat fly in cargo.

Lexy

• 2 weeks later...

We drove down with two cats. It retrospect, it was a good decision. Flying is very stressful for them and you lose control of the situation. Sedating them for travel is a really bad idea. We went to a US vet, got the required documents thinking the whole time about what a waste of money it was, and it was. No one asked to see anything, although I suppose better safe than sorry.

There are very few vets in the US that will provide those types of documents because it's a lot of bureaucratic trouble. Another great way for government regulators to keep their jobs and provide nothing in return that provides any service to the pet or owner...just my opinion. Anyway, that last part is a bit off topic.

Driving is best for the cats, but if you must fly, then so be it, but you will have more expensive and regulations to deal with.

Archived