Chapala.com Webboard

NEW RULES for CONTROLLED PAIN MEDS

Dr.Santiago

The Government now requires a patient's CURP number be included ON THE PRESCRIPTION FORMS for controlled pain medications. This is due to a new computerized system being used to track these scripts.

This may present a problem for patients who only have a TOURIST VISA.

The anesthesiologist who comes to Chapala Med to manage our patients has provided information to SPENCER McMULLEN(attorney at law) to clear up the matter. After speaking with him yesterday, he will be trying to perhaps get an AMPARO so that these patients can get their prescriptions in accordance to the law.

Remember, this law ONLY affects patients who DO NOT have a CURP or who cannot get one such as those who have a TOURIST VISA.

Sob, sob. Will this law be immediately enforced or do those of us with established relationships with our prescribing physicians have some time to get the process done so we don't go into withdrawal and commit suicide?

Edit: What is an "AMPARO" and would this allow an established patient to legally obtain meds w/o the CURP?

Did try to check on that site to see if my CURP is still valid and it needs a "verification code" and I have no idea what that means or where to find it. Nothing on the actual CRUP that states that.

The verification code is in the top right hand corner and is one of those wierd looking codes used for security when entering a webpage that an illegal password program cannot copy.

Yet another change in the pattern of living in "paradise".... which is changing by he month and adding to life's little but significant challenges for some....

It´s getting more organized and they are following regulations more often like NOB and I thought some had wished for this happening for many years. Am I wrong? Example: Carry your original INM document on your person at all times to prove you are a legal resident of Mexico, just like NOB, as required by Mexican INM law and rules. You can´t go wrong.

I got a PM asking me about TAFIL(alprazolam). Here is my response.

"My post was for PAIN medications. Thus far alprazolam (TAFIL) and other sedative-hypnotics in the same class do not require a special prescription such as Opioids like Morphine."

If a patient does not present a valid CURP number when asking for a refill on an CONTROLLED PAIN MEDICATION then the doctor may write the script and leave that space blank. But the PHARMACY will reject it. I've seen scripts rejected for lack of a valid phone number. And then they have to report the script, along with the doctor's name to the appropriate authorities. Thus creating a headache for the doctor, legally and placing the doctor and his/her patient under scrutiny in the future. I don't know any physician who would jeapordize his/her license and fill out and issue a script for these meds that does not fulfill all the legal requirements.

This post was not meant to cause a political discussion. It was made to make people who do get such medications legally for legitimate medical needs to be aware and get the appropriate documentation(CURP) and not lash out against their doctors. We've had just as much warning as many of our patients.

Just got this via another medical facilitator and one of her referring docs in PV.

Es cierto.... para los medicos el permiso y las recetas se volvio mas sencillo, solo un tramite de internet sencillo y en unos dias puede uno comenzar a recetar narcoticos... pero para los pacientes si se volvio mas complicado ya que los extranjeros tienen que tener CURP..., casi todos mis pacientes de prescripcion habitual tienen CURP, solo los turistas van a batallar... Dice la pagina de la secretaria de gobernacion que cualquier turista puede tener CURP.... pero ni en el registro civil saben como..

So, in essence, it will be easier for doctors to be able to prescribe narcotics under the new system. But for patients it has become more complicated, especiallly for foriegners. Almost all my patients whom I regularly write scripts for have a CURP, it's only going to be those with a tourist visa who are going to be having a hard time.

The web page for the SECRETARIA DE GOBERNACION states that ANY tourist can obtain a CURP, but nobody at the CIVIL REGISTRY office knows how to give one to those with tourist visas.

That's all we know for now.

Guest bennie2

no one wins here. patients are suffering, drs lose the income, big pharm loses $$. i cant wrap my mind around this. so what if a drug addict slips through the cracks? whats the difference between an addict w/a FM3 or an addict w/a tourist visa? same w/a legit patient. there has to be some weird modivation for the mex gov to do this. the street drugs may find a new market, but people may die from the poison they add to the mix.

Yet another change in the pattern of living in "paradise".... which is changing by he month and adding to life's little but significant challenges for some....

Isn't it nice to live in this year round good climate, music in the air, people smiling and willing to help when they can and for the most part we can freely walk around. This is not southern Canada or southern States. It is Mexico where they have different laws and regulations and they do pertain to all of us. Your CURP number is not difficult to get just a little time spent to look after yourself.

EnglishRose: The issue is not getting the CURP #. It is that the govt' sprung this law on the doctors without giving them or their patients any notice.

That is a big deal. Certain meds cannot just be stopped. Certain people can easily end up in life threatening situations if they suddenly stop a medication they have been taking for years. A change like this should be instituted gradually. I have four days worth of my meds left and I cannot exactly fly to the US and stand in line at a consulate, then fly back here and wait for a month until my paperwork goes through, then go through the CURP process. I'll be dead before then.

I don't mind getting a Curp. I do mind having to face this situation because this law came out of nowhere with no warning or notice.

Serenity, you should be able to get a CURP# within four days.

The new procedure for Foreigners/Immigrants as of about 1 to 1 1/2 years ago is that only the INM can issue CURP numbers to them. No longer municipal register offices are allowed to issue immigrants a CURP. That is her problem being on a FMM tourist card. Many Snowbirds now can´t get a CURP unless they got one before the policy change.

1. This is only for controlled pain medications and not all pain medications. Majority of medications in Mexico one buys with out even a prescription unlike the US and Canada.

2. If you live in Mexico full time isn't it reasonable to expect the person to have at least a TR visa?

3. If you have a visa it is highly likely you have a CURP. Many INM offices have issued them for years. https://consultas.curp.gob.mx/CurpSP/ At the web site to check you complete the bottom section of the web page and where it says Entidad Federativa select the last drop box. NACIDO EN EL EXTRANJERO

4. This affects very very few people while allowing to track doctors and patients who abuse controlled substances.

www.soniadiaz.mx

saludos

Sonia

Mexican Government Changes Rules on Controlled Pain Medications

According to yucalandia.com, the Mexican government now requires that every prescription for controlled pain medications (like barbituates and opiates) include the patient’s CURP number.

As has happened with Immigration & visas and Customs & importing vehicles, the Mex. Gob. now tracks prescriptions with a new national computer data-base system.

This presents significant problems for Visitors in Mexico on Visitante / Tourist visas, because they have no CURP number.

CURP numbers are mostly equivalent to having a US Social Security number – so temporary visitors to Mexico do not get CURPs with their visas. Residents, as Residente Temporal and Residente Permanente, do get CURPs as a part of their visa.

Specifically, medical tourists who come to Mexico for economical treatments cannot get controlled pain medications under this new policy.

We will provide updates, if there are changes in the law/rules, or if an amparo is filed.

Source: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.

bennie2, Sorry you didn't get your curp maybe three or four years ago when it was as simple for us with FM-3s as it is for a national.

I wanted a cell phone and in order to have one, I had to have a curp #, sure I could have cheated as many did and buy the phone using Carlos Slim's Curp # as many did. Luckily I didn't and decided to get one. In those days, in Ajijic, for example, one simply took his FM3, passport, & electric bill to the government office on the Ajijic square and within a few minutes you were given a Curp #. It was so simple then.

Sadly, these days, getting a Curp is more complicated for us non Mexican citizens.

Archived