Chapala.com Webboard

SiriusXM added to new vehicle

REC

I know we can't get a SiriusXM subscription down here but we use our account from the U.S. on various devices down here without problems.

What I am looking to do is to add SiriusXM capabilities to the factory radio in our new 2015 Toyota Highlander. I have found add-on kits online from the U.S.

What I am looking for is someone here that can reliably install this type of add-on. Brand new car so don't want to take any chances. And it would be especially nice if a shop here could supply the equipment - or I could just bring it down from the U.S.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Gosh, I wish I could help you. I have had an account with them for maybe ten years. I even have an antenna mounted on my south exterior wall of my bedroom, with a line leading to a narrow shelf next to the head end of my bed where I have a portable or home radio. I listen to XM only in my house, every evening and at night when I should be sleeping. They have great music, news, sports and you name it. They have programming meant for both the US and I understand Canada.

They even have traffic channels for your home town and many sporting events, Major league baseball, the NFL, and you name it.

Between them and streaming audio programs from my computer, I have more stations than I could ever listen to.

Thanks Pete. We too have it set up at our home and even have a portable unit we can use in our car. That unit is not really integrated into the radio but it works. I know for sure there are kits to add SiriusXM to a car fully integrated into the factory radio. So i can get that kit next trip NOB.

I would love to find a great auto stereo store here that could install it. Otherwise I might have to have drive the car to Texas and have one installed there - but would like to avoid that. We usually fly for our NOB visits.

There was an auto stereo store in Chapala near the Pemex on the north end of town but it is no longer there. So the search continues. Thanks again Pete.

Sadly after 9 years I'm ending my XM subscription. The one single channel I've always listened to in MX, TX and wherever I've driven is Escape, it's now been taken off satellite and put on streaming. The channel that replaced it is nothing but noise, I suspect the programming people are probably 20 something and have no ear for music unless it has a bone jarring back beat.

El Seiko at top end of Madero in Chapala, across from the 7/11. He has done a couple for me. He's a general electronic auto mechanic, not a car stereo guy per se. But he is pretty darned good at figuring things out. He once sourced and replaced a tweeter in one of my add-on car speakers, saving me a ton of money. He speaks no English, really, but his helper can struggle through.

Sadly after 9 years I'm ending my XM subscription. The one single channel I've always listened to in MX, TX and wherever I've driven is Escape, it's now been taken off satellite and put on streaming. The channel that replaced it is nothing but noise, I suspect the programming people are probably 20 something and have no ear for music unless it has a bone jarring back beat.

I used to listen to Escape however, I can now get good reception for Symphony Hall and Jazz. I only use it in my car with the mobile radio and the Sirius radio external antenna. One day I may try to get it integrated into the car radio as right now I am using a holder for the receiver that mounts on one of the air vents on the dash.

As far as I know, even when a car radio is "SiriusXM ready", you still need to purchase an adapter and have that installed (http://shop.siriusxm.ca/en_CA/view/product/Vehicle-Tuner/si6718010). You cannot integrate the external one that is clipped to your air vent.

I actually prefer the separate unit. Once the power supply and other wires are installed properly (that is, not using the cigarette lighter adapter), it's pretty tidy, but more importantly the display is quite good on the standalones. Most of the displays I've seen on car stereos with Sirius capability are much smaller, so you don't get to see the extra information.

The model I'm using at the moment even shows album covers when music is playing (albeit pretty tiny album covers...). And the display is quite legible during daylight, even with my failing eyesight.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and comments. I know about the various options and can get one of several kits that will do what I want but still looking for a recommendation for a great auto stereo installer/expert here in Mexico.

You are not getting direct answers because there are none locally, and the one good one I knew in Guadalajara folded shop. There is another guy in Chapala on Flavio Romero, but he is pretty much useless at anything but the most basic. As I said, El Seiko is the best with car stereos and electronics I have seen here, bar none.

Archived