Chapala.com Webboard

Emissions test--do I have to do it?

Lexy

Yesterday I got pulled over. The cop, after checking my window stickers, said I am not up-to-date on emission stickers. (Last one was 2014>) I'm supposed to have one for 2015, he said. He was going to give me a ticket plus I had to go get an emissions test pronto. He wanted to know if I understood him, as I was looking a little dim, but actually I didn't understand all the Spanish, but I got the gist.

Finally he decided not to give me a ticket, but said be sure and get the test done. He was pleasant and not looking for a mordida.

I've checked back on this forum's postings and it was said by some that the test program is a disaster. Nevertheless, if I can get a ticket if I don't have an emissions sticker, I want to get the sticker. The last number on my plate is 6.

Is the only official place to get a sticker still the one on Zaragoza in Chapala, as it says on the postings from last year?

Appreciate your guidance . . . .

Lexy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My plate also ends in 6 so I went to the facility in Chapala - the only one as far as I know. The tech pointed to the Board showing Emissions test dates & the month of June was suspended for testing. This appears to be a Gov't Notice Board. He told me to come back in July. So - your policeman was not aware of that change. We should have till the end of July but I am going tomorrow.

We have a #6 plate also, and July is the proper month to go for emissions. We went this morning. One car in the test stall, on waiting, and we were next. The cost was 300 pesos, the men are very cordial and pleasant. Some people say "not likely you will be stopped here" in Guadalajara more likely etc. We just do not want to be bothered with this ...so we go each year and get it done. Just sad that there is only the one place, used to be several but that is a recent change that does not make sense to us.

Yes, the station for this is on Zaragoza, in Chapala. I believe three blocks north and on the right after a left turn off Morelos onto Zaragoza. Good luck to hit it when it is not crowded, we feel luck to have it done and in a short time.

Kobi

We have a #6 plate also, and July is the proper month to go for emissions. We went this morning. One car in the test stall, on waiting, and we were next. The cost was 300 pesos, the men are very cordial and pleasant. Some people say "not likely you will be stopped here" in Guadalajara more likely etc. We just do not want to be bothered with this ...so we go each year and get it done. Just sad that there is only the one place, used to be several but that is a recent change that does not make sense to us.

Yes, the station for this is on Zaragoza, in Chapala. I believe three blocks north and on the right after a left turn off Morelos onto Zaragoza. Good luck to hit it when it is not crowded, we feel luck to have it done and in a short time.

Kobi

I think Car City in Riberas will do the testing using their Guad facility to issue the sticker, they do not advertise the service..I maybe wrong but afew years back I used them

Here is what I understand to be the only official testing station in the area. I have been there twice. The whole test only took about 10 minutes. There is a standard government set fee for this. If you go to anywhere else, you might find they charge more. Also, they may say that you need new spark plugs, air filter, etc. etc.

Here are the directions:

CONTROL VERIFICATION

MANDATORY VEHICLE

ZARAGOZA STREET #375 CENTER
CHAPALA

TURN LEFT AT THE LIGHTS IN CHAPALA
TAKE THE SECOND STREET TO THE RIGHT
THEN CONTINUE DOWN THE SECOND STREET FOR TWO BLOCKS. TURN LEFT ONTO ZARAGOZA. CONTROL IS ABOUT HALF A BLOCK UP ON THE RIGHT,

Thanks, all.

I went today to Zaragoza station and breezed in and out, paid 300 p., everyone was cordial.

I, too, wondered how the traffic cop who pulled me over yesterday knew I didn't have a 2015 emissions sticker. Maybe he saw the last number on my plate (6) and figured it was due if I didn't have it, so he decided to check. But if I didn't have it (and I didn't) and my number for payment would be July (and it was only July 5 yesterday) then why get ready to give me a ticket? Just a rhetorical question. . . .mulling over these puzzlements is what we do. I'm grateful I didn't get a ticket.

Lexy

So what was his excuse for pulling you over Lexie?

According to reports in El Informador, the emissions program in Jalisco is basically defunct. It was so corrupt it was worthless anyway. Unless this cop claimed you broke some traffic law, was this just trolling for mordida in your opinion?

If so, please describe the cop so the rest of us can be on the lookout for him.

If you know Lexy you know it is pretty unlikely she'd be doing anything that warrants getting stopped, hence my question as to what she was stopped for. As we all know, the mordida seekers like to stop people on some made up pretext and then do the shakedown on them. Lexy is such a nice lady maybe the guy changed his mind.

A local cop pulling over people to "check" emission stickers is pretty unusual and suspect as to what the real motive is in my opinion. Mordida trolling ebbs and flows these days and this group has been great at passing the word when it picks upl

I'm sure she's capable of answering the question without help.

Lexy? Are you saying he pulled you over just because of the emission sticker?

If you know Lexy you know it is pretty unlikely she'd be doing anything that warrants getting stopped, hence my question as to what she was stopped for. As we all know, the mordida seekers like to stop people on some made up pretext and then do the shakedown on them. Lexy is such a nice lady maybe the guy changed his mind.

A local cop pulling over people to "check" emission stickers is pretty unusual and suspect as to what the real motive is in my opinion. Mordida trolling ebbs and flows these days and this group has been great at passing the word when it picks upl

I'm sure she's capable of answering the question without help.

Lexy? Are you saying he pulled you over just because of the emission sticker?

Yes, because of the emission sticker.

He started off by showing me his badge name and ID. I don't remember his name. He was in a car or truck, not on a motorcycle.

He looked at my back window where the car's previous owner had stickers lined up from 2010. It has a 2014 sticker, from the year I bought the car. He pointed out that there was no 2015. He said because of that he was going to give me a ticket and that I needed to go to the emissions place and pay for 2015. He asked several times if I understood what he was saying. (See my post #1 above.)

I thought, in my ignorance about emissions testing, that it was an annual thing and that I'd missed my payment date. (Later, I realized I wasn't due to pay for this test until July--and the day he stopped me it was only July 5.)

I believe he asked me how long I've lived here. I definitely recall that asked me if I lived alone or with someone. I said in Spanish that I lived with my husband who is sick now.

Soon after that he stepped back with his ticket-writing clipboard and said he wasn't giving me a ticket, but to be sure to have the emissions test.

He didn't seem to be looking for a mordida. I've had my share of that kind of cop and they get to the point pretty quickly. So checking on an emissions sticker is strange, particularly since he should have known from my license plate #6 that payment was not overdue.

Lexy

This begs the question...Did the cop who stopped you have an emissions sticker on his truck? I'd bet not but maybe they have exempted themselves from following yet another traffic related law. I think if I ever get stopped for that infraction I will tell the officer lets see how many of the next 100 Mexican drivers that go by have a valid emission sticker...or if stopped, have a valid registration, drivers license and proof of insurance. I have seen lately several Mexican drivers and even motorcycle riders being stopped on the highway so maybe enforcement is becoming more uniform.

They were pulling cars over this morning in front of the water park checking emission stickers. I was on the way to get mine, easy process. If you have a 6 as the last number on your license plate this is the month to get your sticker. Please do it, it is our environment we are protecting. Why would you not get it?

Since Jalisco has admitted the emissions program is in a state of dissaray, does anyone besides me find it curious that our diligent (?) local traficos are out there enforcing a broken down program?

Or is quota time?

Sorry, but I'm skeptical of this. Very skeptical. We keep ours up to date and will continue to do so but I suspect the majority of people in this state are ignoring the program at this point.

Thanks Lexie for the answer.

If they are ignoring the program shame on them. As we know there are a lot of cars out there polluting our environment. If this system, no matter how imperfect, can help stop some of that then why not.

Archived