Chapala.com Webboard

Telecable internet

jaykay

I live in San Juan Cosala and Telmex internet has gone from bad to useless. Phone calls to Mexico City have not helped. Tech support says right out loud that Ajijic (San Antonio) does not have enough servers and is continuing to sign up more customers so the problem will get worse. Folks in El Chante report the same. Don't know about Joco. I am considering signing up for a Telecable package

as their line goes right by my house. Can anybody who lives West of Ajijic on this side of the Lake report what kind of service and speed you are getting? Any other first person experience you would care to share would be greatly appreciated. When I speak to folks that live in Guad and hear the speeds available, I almost wish I had settled there. Almost. How bad is that?

In the racquetclub i pay for the 5mbps service and that is also what i get. Telephone and digital tv also work with no problems.

Now and then the signal goes away (about once a month sometimes more, sometimes less) but get solved relatively quickly.

I just got back to Mexico Upper West Ajijic after a 2 month vacation. I Just did a speed test and got what I pay for with Telmex. i shall test my digital cable TV Tues

V

4469378655.png

I have the $599 package and pay for ten down

We live in West Ajijic...Ocampo and Rio Zula.

The Telmex service has gotten really bad and we now have both. We are very happy with Telecable and, although, it does go out occasionally, it is far superior to Telmex.

We are paying 450 pesos for the 8 mb internet and it is often 10 mb. The big improvement is the upload speed which, if you use a Vonage phone or Skype or Facetime is HUGELY improved for those on the other end.

imho, it's worth a try for you.

In the racquetclub i pay for the 5mbps service and that is also what i get. Telephone and digital tv also work with no problems.

Now and then the signal goes away (about once a month sometimes more, sometimes less) but get solved relatively quickly.

@ednet94, on the outside chance you come across this question, could you please specify which internet provider serves you so well @ the Racquet Club? I can't deduce from the bundle you enjoy which it might be, and would be interested to know the maximum internet speeds available at the top of the hill. Thanks!

Ferret: Good news, The 8 Mbps Telecable internet only costs $352 per month or with your 14 months for 12 months in advance discount, one pays only $302 pesos per month. At that rate you only get wired internet from the Telecable modem; but should you have your own WiFi router, plug it in and you are in business. Or you could pay $50 pesos more per month for a Telecable wireless modem.

Oh, the 10 Mbps connection goes for $452.50 per month or with the 14 for 12 discount, $388 per month.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be checking what I'm paying for next month...July has already been paid for.

Heaven only knows how long we continued paying $999 per month to Telmex when the $999 package was no longer even available.

Heaven forbid that any business should inform their customers of changes in rates.

I have tried for 6 months to reduce my telmex rate down to the $389 rate. Every month they bill me for $999. Every month I go in to the office and they they promise to adjust it, then they tell me to phone Mx city to ensure it is fixed. The phone prompts have changed and for the life of me I cannot get an english speaking operator. My Spanish is good enough to understand the prompts. I suspect no english operators exist anymore. After a few too many trips and being owed over $800 pesos in overcharges they now tell me I have to pay the monthly fee or be cut off. Fat chance.

My land line has been out for ten of the last 12 days. Done with telmex. Getting telecable. They cannot be worse that telmex. And I will not be paying telmex one centavo.

Pete much as we enjoy you singing the praises of telmex, not many of us live a block,away and have stellar speeds. Give it a rest please.

I think it's more an issue of feeling very lucky to get good speeds, when surrounded by complaints from those who are not, than "singing the praises". Here in Riberas, this is my speed this morning. The only difference between you and me and my neighbours is yes, I know how to keep my modem and computer in their best working condition. But no, I have no special ties to TelMex that would allow me any advantage over anyone else. I pay $599. Why does Riberas stay stable when the phones can't even stay on? Wish I knew. Why does my friend in Chula Vista get the same speed, when others who live there say they cannot? Wish I knew. (In fact, I have to renew the IP configuration in my modem several times a day to keep it from losing sync, so it's not even the healthiest of modems.)

4487109079.png

• 1 year later...

Again I confirmed with Telmex Mexico that the speed in our area does not depend on the plan and we cannot expect near Rio Bravo more than 2.9 down load.. we wish we had that!...They also reconfirmed that Riberas has the highest download speeds...

Telecable is unreliable and oversubscribed - I am low down in the RC.   Depending on how many people are in town ( hotels & snowbirds ) service becomes unusable or non-existent in the afternoon/evening.   Usually fast speeds in early morning then close to nothing by 5 PM.   I pay for 15mb/s, right now ( 11:30AM) I'm seeing 9 down.   Tonight I'll be lucky to see 2mb/s down.  It has gotten worse over the last few years.   Telecable also has periodic outages - last Friday night it went down and did not come back until Monday morning.    I was hoping to switch to Telmex for better service but sounds like that is oversubscribed too.   

Just realised this this is an old thread that was revived...  by bmh, ooops.

Archived