Chapala.com Webboard

Comparing Jalisco Roads to the Rest of Mexico

I have noticed that the roads of Jalisco are pretty terrible and poorly maintained. Even the road from the rich high tech city of Guadalajara to their closest resort area of Chapala is a poor excuse for such a highly traveled road, one with their international airport on. I have also noticed that when one leaves Jalisco, the roads generally, greatly improve. How do Jalisco roads compare to other states? And which states have the best roads and which have the worst?

I just started thinking about the roads in Jalisco after I commented on another thread about highway 70 that is out in the middle of no where that connects Jalpa to Aguascalientes. The only town you pass on the entire road is the little town of Calvillo and the road is in excellent, if not, mint condition. This road is a free one or libre and is as good as any road NOB in my opnion. Just goes to show that not all free roads in Mexico have to be aweful.

We need to press the local municipal government to do something. Jocotepec got nice roads a few years ago and Chapala has crappy roads still.

We hope so since we are leaving this state of Jalisco June 27 for the drive to Ciudad Juarez. We plan on taking the cuotas from Guad to Aguascalientes, bypassing that city on the inner periferico on the west side of the city then continuing on through Zacatecas and up. Any last minute further suggestions?

Archived