Chapala.com Webboard

Cocinart

Floradude

It's a lovely little restaurant on 16th de Septiembre near the corner of Colon/Morelos, with the advantage of being consistent in the quality of their food. Each week, they have a specials board, focusing on a different country's cuisine. The owner/chef has learned well from many long-term cook jobs here over the years, and knows how to run a business properly. The food is always very, very good with reasonable prices. Yes, like most restaurants, they have the odd hiccup, but I can always count on a delicious meal when I go there. Here's a link to some photos and a description, provided by the Lake Chapala Guide: http://lakechapalaguide.com/cocinart.html.

One report on TripAdvisor described the greenery as "unkempt"... probably not realizing that the central focus of the joint is an eons-old grapevine, which the owner has managed to keep alive.

That ancient grapevine is becoming lush. Makes me feel as though I'm in Italy.

This week, the specialty cuisine is Japanese, and since a group of us are planning to lunch there today, I'm hoping it includes their excellent shrimp.

My only complaint is that some of those miscellaneous chairs they've collected are not comfortable, but I imagine that will improve with time.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep on swapping out the backbreakers for others.

Later: Well, no shrimp among the specials. However, great sauce on the monkfish.

The monkfish special was lovely: well-plated, 2 smallish (reasonable) pieces which appeared to be breaded and pan fried, then topped with the aforementioned sauce, and served with rice with vegetables and egg and a small service of julienned mixed vegetables. For $75. It made a lovely lunch and the place was very busy this afternoon.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had another excellent, well-served meal at Cocinart on Saturday night. Tomato cream soup was perfect. Shrimp on pesto pasta had just the right balance of herbs in the pesto. And that Asian Rib appetizer is probably the best ribs in town. Fall off the bone, no fat, and a brilliant sauce. For the low price of their special main courses, still a hard place to beat.

EDIT: My pesto spaghetti entree was twice the portion of pasta I had at Alex's pasta place. And a dozen large shrimp for the price.

• 4 weeks later...

We ate there last night. We each had two generously poured glasses of house wine, horderves, main courses and we split desert. Total with generous tip for a well served meal, 500 pesos or about $30. While we were there, a lady set up an electronic piano and proceeded to entertain us with soft and well played music very suitable for sophisticated dining.

This place continues to astound us with quality food and dining experience at truly bargain prices. Location, ambiance, food quality and price, it has it all.

I must add, when we went for the July 4 special, they had a trio of guitarists playing only a few feet from us, yet so deliciously low-key that conversation was easy. Now that's the kind of dinner ambience I'm up for anytime.

Archived